How to re-introduce fire convoy?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Galvatr0n, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Galvatr0n

Galvatr0n N0Tm36at20n

I have alot of love for RID/car robots with it being very much underrated in my opinion.
    Optimus Prime/Fire Convoy is a stand out figure with its super armor a purcurssor to sieges Ultra and Galactic Optimus armor. I would love to see a return of him in any form, be it a retool or a figure like Siege Galactic Optimus Prime where the inspirations are clear but blended in with the overall line. I think theres a medium chance of it happening in the future, especially with takara doing figures like Star Convoy and Lio Convoy. What do you think? Would it be cool to see a new iteration of Fire Convoy? Could it happen?

• Like Like x 3
  2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    It's rather criminal that we still haven't gotten this guy from Combiner Wars Hot Spot. Same alt. Mode and a well designed RID UM update could take advantage of Combiner Wars technology and combine to form Omega Convoy.

Instead, POTP gave us an Inferno retool that nobody asked for.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Galvatr0n

Galvatr0n N0Tm36at20n

I think having armor that forms with his vehicle mode to turn it into a bigger toy is a good bit of what makes him cool and appealing so definitely could see sieges armor being used to make a very cool leader, or more appropriate size, commander class.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Terradives

Terradives Well-Known Member

I don’t think the question is how it’s should they? Pyro fills in the optimus prime as a fire truck and has a lot cooler back story along with characterization which rid prime never got.

5. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    So? Are you saying we shouldn't get an update to one of the more unique Primes to ever exist because you're hung up on lore? Besides, we're getting Cybertron Prime in addition to the regular Prime, and previously we got Armada Megetron SIMULTANEOUSLY with G1 Megatron at Leader class.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Flash1087

Flash1087 Maybe in an Alternate Dimension

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I absolutely adore Car Robots and I feel like WFC might be the best way to sneakily bring him back - clearly he'll still be a version of Optimus, but considering how hard they're leaning on the Leader 'armored-up' gimmick I think they could pull off a decent firetruck-mode Prime down the road somewhere. (Granted, he won't be as tall as he should since, according to the anime, he's a big motherfucker in his combined mode, but I got over it with Magnus and I can get over it here!) People seem to have responded well to Galaxy Upgrade Optimus, and that might be impetus for them to look back to other more anime-styled Primes to add to the line. Clearly they remember Car Robots exists given as Gelshark/Sky-Byte keeps popping up now and again, but seeing a new Fire Convoy would thrill my withered old heart.

Lore-wise, I couldn't imagine. I don't mind a bit how the Japanese continuity makes Fire Convoy a separate character and puts him in G1 continuity, but I'm pretty sure all of his Western appearances are just gonna be a new Optimus unless they really lean into the "Ignition Prime" concept, which would be neat.

And while most of the toyline has aged really well (better than a lot of the Unicron Trilogy, I'd argue), I wouldn't complain about seeing new versions of the Brothers in the modern scale. That Side Burn from the old Hot Rod mold just ain't cutting it anymore, as glad as I was to see him exist.

7. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    just use his Japanese Name (or his name from any foreign dub) and bring him in as a new character. in fact, i would actually suggest doing this for a multitude of characters from rid or the UT who happen to share names with geewun dudes.
    wanna bring back Armada Cyclonus? use his Polish dub name "Cyklotron"
    wanna bring Back Beast Wars Inferno use his Italian name "Formikon"
    want Cybertron Menasor in the same story as the Stunticon combiner? call him Moledive

• Like Like x 6
  8. trence5

trence5 Well-Known Member

I agree, being that I don't think there's any chararcter in Western TF lore by the name of "Convoy" I don't see why.

9. Override Prime

Override Prime Well-Known Member

In my headcanon, the suffix Prime was replaced with the prefix Optimus for Autobot leaders a couple hundred years after Op's death. Thus Cybertron Optimus is Optimus Galaxius and RiD Optimus is Optimus Pyros/Pyrus. By the Beast Era the Optimus title has fallen to being used by ship captains, hence Optimus Primal.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kenchanayoh

Kenchanayoh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would love if they did a modernization with the character in the current Generations lines. Even better would be if they made RID Ultra Magnus to combine with him.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime "Essential" Personnel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ive been doing this with alot of guys to integrate them into my G1 chug collection

12. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    I literally had to pull up the TFwiki page to discover what you were talking about with Pyro, since I was only aware of his appearance in the one Botcon comic.

RiD may be older, but its cartoon was also a lot more prominent than the comics. Fire Convoy may be almost a "forgotten" Prime, but I'll wager he's still more recognizable than Pyro. Any Optimus/Convoy is going to be more marketable than 99% of characters, and especially more marketable than an obscure UK-only late G1 toy character. Pyro may have gotten some focus in IDW, but given how niche comics are these days, that still makes Pyro rather obscure.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  13. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime "Essential" Personnel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I will personally never understand the hardon people have for the likes of Pyro and RacknRuin

• Like Like x 3
  14. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus Scale Charts are pointless.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Retool of God Bomber.
    I say that since RID Magnus is pretty much based on God Bomber in bot mode.
    And the whole "combine with Prime" schtick.

Hell, the only "Magnus" part of him is that he turns into a car carrier truck.

15. Dragga

Dragga Well-Known Member

Honestly, because he is just another Optimus Prime, there's not a lot of effort that needs to go into reintroducing him. Choice of alt mode isn't that extreme since it is still ultimately a red truck. Siege wouldn't have been a bad option for him to use his armor up pattern, since it basically is achievable using set ups near identical to what Ultra Magnus/Galaxy Upgrade Optimus have going for them. In fact, he might have been a better option for that if they opted to recreate the functions of the original toy, since at least some of his armor would be able to pass as general purpose weaponry (looking at you, shoulder-missile pod arrangement) for other figures still.

If anything would be a set back, I imagine it's finding what other characters you could remold/redeco him into. Maybe revive that old convention idea of repainting him as Hot Spot and using the armored up mode as Defensor? A Nemesis Prime repaint that could actually be called Scourge?

16. SuperTitanHans

SuperTitanHans Upgraded

News Credits:
    As I’ve said before, this is my number one “want” as a masterpiece and part of Siege. It’s basically the only thing that they could announce for WFC2 at NYCC that would make me lose my shit (I want a Thunderwing and Star Saber but not as much).

I don’t care if it’s a version of Prime or a new character. I actually prefer the latter because we might be more likely to get him in the show or the comic. Not quite sure how you justify a fire truck when they’re not on earth yet but frankly who cares.

17. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Honestly, if they bother to homage him, it’ll likely be “Optimus Prime Fire Upgrade” or something along those lines.

18. Dragga

Dragga Well-Known Member

Fire Patrol Optimus Prime? Maybe Fire Force Optimus.

19. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They'd probably just go for something like Infernicus Prime or something.

20. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I like Pyro - but for other reasons. Spark and Clench were some of the first UK-only Transformers I owned after going to Transcon 1997 (I'd bought Bulletbike during a trip to the UK in 1996 and a couple Stormtroopers from a friend). I'd later get a few more but those two stand out to me.

I never really understood RackNRuin myself. I think it's just the mystique of a long-standing character without a toy. Although I wouldn't be surprised if Cyberverse doesn't see a release finally. after getting Scraplets, anything is possible there.