How to improve IDW 2?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by TFFan01, Jun 27, 2021.

1. Cliffjumper

Cliffjumper Least insane TF fan

News Credits:
    Haha I think you love ruckley

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dire 51

Dire 51 Line Stepper.

Well. He is saving me a lot of money.

• Like Like x 4
  3. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    @Dire 51 The multiquote button is a thing. Primus...

The thread asks how to IMPROVE IDW 2.0

At this rate I think they need to move the pace forward and start to get to the Earth portion of the story.

• Like Like x 1
  4. levyshahar

levyshahar Nemesis Wheelie

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Maybe just bring Unicron to kill everyone again and start a new continuity

• Like Like x 5
  5. Rojixus

Rojixus Celebrating 40 Years of Transformers!

Well, Ruckley didn't make Megatron an Autobot, so he's got that going for him.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Cliffjumper

Cliffjumper Least insane TF fan

News Credits:
    If the last continuity got to go on for 13 years before that happened this one should get like 6-8.

7. Dire 51

Dire 51 Line Stepper.

Meh.
    *shrugs*

8. Dire 51

Dire 51 Line Stepper.

That was a Hasbro mandate.

• Like Like x 1
  9. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Ignore list

*shrugs*

10. Backbeat

Backbeat Well-Known Member

Personally, I think what the book needs is to give us some miniseries or stand alone graphic novels to explore cybertron before the fall of iacon. I kind of want to see things like the various aliens living there, or see some more of the cybertron crime scene we glimpse with Swindle and his gang.

I also want to mention that I'm loving the characterizations of the more obscure picks are getting. The two water gun goons, Flowspade, Bumper, Gears, and Flamewar are personal favorites. I hope they keep bringing in characters from the depths of obscurerity.

11. Rojixus

Rojixus Celebrating 40 Years of Transformers!

I'm going to need proof of that.

12. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    I don't know if it was a Hasbro mandate, but I remember reading somewhere that, when they were pitching ideas for Dark Cybertron, someone (not sure who, might've been a Hasbro rep) suggested that they could make Megatron an Autobot. James Roberts said that, if they were going to do that in the crossover, he'd like to write it.

13. Dire 51

Dire 51 Line Stepper.

So you're admitting to ignorance? Hm.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dire 51

Dire 51 Line Stepper.

Oh God, what will I do now?

15. agp

agp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    First and foremost the art. The writing in IDW 1 wasn't always great but for the most part the art was so good it covered the holes. When I say art I'm not just talking style and detail, but panel layout, shot framing, perspective, stuff like that. I don't know if getting the old guys back is financially viable for IDW.

Regarding the story I have the same problems with focus and pace others have brought up. There needs to be arcs of some sort, the story feels like a giant run on sentence. Monthly comics need stories within the overarching story, be it however many issues as necessary.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Soundwave27

Soundwave27 Decepticon

News Credits:
    In fact, IDW1 has not always been great in both story and art. But if the story is weak, the art is good (like AHM), if the art is lacking, the story is interesting (like Lost Light). IDW2 seems to be a total mess that both sides lack.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ClatterShards

ClatterShards Well-Known Member

I will admit that while IDW2 isn't perfect, I find it is much more of a entertaining read through than IDW1. For starters, I appreciate that Ruckley is at least giving side characters their(though limited) time to shine, actually
    giving aliens some tidbits of lore and showing their reactions towards War, introducing Cybertronian history lore from the past & present, and of course implementing past stuff from other continuities and inventing new
    stuff in the comic series.

I think it would help if the art was mostly consistently done by Brendan Cahill, Anna Malkova, and Atilio Rojo. Besides Milne and Roche, I think these three bring their own personal charm to the characters.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Nemesisprime1975

Nemesisprime1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Was wondering when the saviour of all things tf comics would get a mention.

It wouldn't suit the tone set in idw2 as much as some would like to see another James Roberts story. It's been done.

Let's please move on. Different continuity. Different feel.

19. Nemesisprime1975

Nemesisprime1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Worse decision ever especially the in universe reason given at the end of dark cybertron. Bbs death etc giving megatron a change of spark. When you consider how he was written earlier in continuity it made no sense for the sudden change.

It jyat did not feel right having him sport an autobot symbol. You couldn't dare say that over on the idw forums which became the James Roberts fan club but I never liked it.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime Eat 'em up, eat 'em up, eat 'em up.

News Credits:
    IDW1 was perfectly fine for a lot of people, despite others' nitpicks and complaints.

IDW2 is the same thing. Liking one over the other and wishing it was like it's counterpart is a dead-end want, especially in a franchise literally about change.

But I think IDW2's biggest downfall is just bad characterization, subpar writing and horrible pacing. Regardless of what universe you try to tell a story about, there's a reason that story circles around a main character of group of characters, instead of attempting to shoehorn in everyone on the planet and all their visitors. I gave up because I felt zero need or want to get attached to the constantly rotating cast. I know the planet is occupied. It's pre-war. You don't need to show me that everyone is there when they are just going to vanish in the next issue or two when the plot shifts. Characters are welcome to change from series iteration to the next, but they all still have established "characterizations" that should stick. Gears is a curmudgeon, so when his appearances constantly show him as a peppy little shit I genuinely wonder if the writers know what they are doing.

There has to be consistency. This story has none. Watching a built-up powerhouse like Strika blast three Autobots through a wall with a direct shot from her turret but none of them show any injury is a tone-setter for what damage does in this universe, and that tone-set is "near comedic". But when three characters like the Rainmakers- who have done absolutely nothing their entire career- show up and can take out Sentinel Prime with barely a fight? That's just sad. It makes no sense. And it really kind of has to.

• Like Like x 1