how to handle the Humans and Earth in the IDW reboot.

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by bigfootRULES, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    well, since the earth is flat, the track always ends and that's how we end up off of it.

• Like Like x 3
  2. bigfootRULES

bigfootRULES Well-Known Member

earth is not flat.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  3. Hound89

Hound89 Well-Known Member

Prove it

• Like Like x 1
  4. bigfootRULES

why must you people always go off topic on my threads? because it amuses you?

• Like Like x 1
  5. raindance773

raindance773 Well-Known Member

I’ve had this exact same discussion many times!!!

• Like Like x 2
  6. raindance773

raindance773 Well-Known Member

Marissa and Spike not being tools would be nice.

Also, no verity or humans thinking they are smarter than Transformers. Maybe not awe, but not they perpetual “humans are smarter than the ancient spacefaring robots...”

• Like Like x 2
  7. Maglite

Maglite Porkchop sandwiches!

Seconded.

War Within, Stormbringer, Autocracy, MTMTE/RiD season 1, and the WFC/FoC games showed me Transformers stories without humans and...I loved it. I'm much more interested in stuff happening on Cybertron.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

Earth is demolished part way through the second arc to make way for a new intergalactic bypass.

• Like Like x 10
  9. Thumbaticon

Thumbaticon "It's all right, I'm an emergency vehicle!"

"Oh, for heaven’s sake, mankind, it’s only four light years away, you know. I’m sorry, but if you can’t be bothered to take an interest in local affairs, that’s your own lookout. Energize the demolition beams."

• Like Like x 5
  10. bigfootRULES

i got those references!

• Like Like x 2
  11. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    If (or really, when) the Transformers get to Earth, I'd like to see and explore the differences in between the two cultures. I think I'd eschew the whole notion of "robots in disguise" because I feel as though it's been done to death in recent years.

I'd have the Autobots arrive on Earth before the Decepticons, positioning them as the planet's defenders. They'd probably help the humans out with some of their own problems. Not like Dark of the Moon where they are used to solve global problems like terrorism, but more like Animated and the original Robots in Disguise, where they'd deal with more local and down-to-Earth problems such as fires or bank robbers. I think Optimus would at least try to strike up an alliance with the natives, since I've always seen Optimus as a diplomat first and foremost. Not so much as a "hey, we need your help" but more of a "your world is in danger and my Autobots and I are the only chance you have at defending it."

The main reason for having the Autobots arrive to Earth before the Decepticons is to really build up an attachment to the planet. Sure, we've been living on Earth our entire lives, but the Autobots just got here. They've never seen a world like this. Think along the lines of the London scene's in 2017's Wonder Woman for this. Some of the Autobots aren't too fond of this planet. It's hideous, and terribly primitive to them. Other Autobots, however, such as Hound, Bumblebee, and Optimus are fascinated with the new world and want to learn more about it. Have the Autobots be invested in protecting Earth because it creates more emotional stakes for the story.

If the stories take place on Earth, then make them feel like they take place on Earth. Develop the Transformers as something more than giant metal humans, and really demonstrate the differences and also similarities in our two species.

As for the human companion angle of the story, I think I'd do something like what the early Marvel comics did. There aren't so much recurring human characters as they are just meeting a new person every week. Again, explore differences and similarities in our two races. Independent, emotional stories about two completely different races finding something similar about themselves can be very effective when done properly. Don't overdo it though, as it can get old real quick. I think the Autobots would be smart enough to not willingly associate themselves too closely with one human due to the ever looming threat of the Decepticons.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  12. RNSrobot

RNSrobot Keeper of the Waspinator Swarm. Blam.

No humans. No earth. zzzzzzzz

13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    If the TF do come to Earth hopefully it'll be longer then ten minutes before humans are easily knocking out TF, taking them apart for study and then building their own giant transforming robots that can go toe-to-toe with a real TF.
    I hate that shit.

• Like Like x 2
  14. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm hoping that earth and humans are barely even acknowledged, if at all.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Galvatron II

Galvatron II I can type whatever here?

I think the war should start in 1984. Like tee hee hee right but it's a more realistic timeline that the 4-10 million years takes. That way they could come to Earth now or they could have even been here for a minute.

• Like Like x 3
  16. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    It'd be refreshing to have no Earth for awhile, which seems to be what we're getting.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    I am so split on humans it isn't funny. I both do and don't want them in the stories. I do because you'd get some dynamics akin to Charlie and Bumblebee, or Sam and Bumblebee (but like, done well), as well as actually giving these guys earth modes, since earth modes just make the Transformers look better design-wise. It also helps cement the sense of scale and alien-ness these beings have, and grants them the mystique they need to seperate them from being big metal humans in a way that matters. But then, you look at Beast Wars/Machines and see how humans aren't a technical requirement for the franchise.

You also pretty much need to tackle the whole Autobots negotiating with the human government thing in order to ground the reality of their occupation somewhat. It's something that has to be tackled eventually, even if they are to be in disguise for a while, but the Transformer/human government thing was done into the ground in the last continuity, and we've just seen it done so many times without it ever being interesting, and I feel like there are just so many better things to write about with these robots than that. The Transformers will need to have some kind of conflict or cooperation with the humans at some point with an earthen setting because, narratively speaking, if a major plot point is the fact that you're hiding from something over the course of the plot, that something, no matter what it is, is going to need to find you at some point. That form of tension needs to be released.

Anyway, I do like humans. I think Marvel and Animated are the only series that have done them and their relation to the Transformers particularly well, and I actually would like to see some stories akin to Joey Slick or Meltdown's; where seemingly normal people end up in different, unique relationships with the Transformer presence on earth-- both in terms of partnership and antagonism.

• Like Like x 6
  18. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    I was grumbling about your points until you mentioned "Joey Slick," and then my heart melted. :D 

• Like Like x 3
  19. Thumbaticon

Thumbaticon "It's all right, I'm an emergency vehicle!"

I want earth to be on the edge of interstellar travel. One or two space elevators, an established moon-base, and attempts at a Mars base but the lack of suitable energy resources and communication networks would be holding them back. The Autobots would arrive on earth first, show how to harvest the planet’s energon deposits, and cause another industrial revolution (Which could be a secret Autobot countermeasure to the Decepticons' infiltration protocol, to prepare worlds against invasion). Past TF-related human organizations could be different branches of the EDC. Sector 7 as intelligence, Unit:E as R&D, and NEST as special ops.

20. Dire 51

Dire 51 Line Stepper.

Simple.

No humans.