How to get US SNES games to play on Super Famicom?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Starfire22, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    Title says all. Want to get a Super Famicom, but want to play both US and JP carts. Don't want to resort to 3rd party consoles. Any help?

2. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Well you'll have to get some kind of 3rd party tech. I've seen the home brew circuit boards needed to bypass and convert PAL to NTSC. I'm certain there's gear to work the opposite way. Other choice is getting the mod chips that do the job and soldering them into the super famicom's board. I'm guessing your ready to crack the S-famicom open and muck around with it's guts.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Starfire22

News Credits:
  4. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

That looks like an adaptor to do exactly what you want. NTSC/PAL is the only electronic region lockout involved with the SNES/SFC, the rest is just plastic.

5. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    There should be no problems playing US SNES games to Japanese SFC since both use NTSC.

6. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Yep, just need to get past the slot and that must be what the linked adaptor is for since it doesn't have the second slot for CIC cheating.

7. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    There were converters. I think even the action replay pro could do that.

8. shogun221

shogun221 timewaster extraordinaire

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can't speak for playing SNES on SFC, but I can vouch for the other way around. I played the Japanese games on my SNES...all I had to do was shave a bit of plastic down inside the cartridge slot, so the game could be fully inserted.

9. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

The region lockout between the Super Nintendo and the Super Famicom is physical only. The thing keeping Super Nintendo games from playing on a Super Famicom is the shape of the cartridge slot. To get the cartridges in you'll need a cutting tool and some sandpaper. On the Super Nintendo there are two small plastic clips inside the console that prevent the Super Famicom games from fitting into the cartridge slot. You merely need a pair of needlenose pliers to remove the tabs.

My suggestion would be get a SNES and remove the tabs as shogun221 (and I) did.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Starfire22

News Credits:
    I am probably going to end up getting a US SNES based on these posts. Only reason i considered a Super Famicom, is strictly based on the colors. The SNES looks like a kid's toy. The Famicom looks better. I suppose i can buy a Super Famicom Controller to go with the SNES.

11. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Its the easiest route to go. OR alternatively if you don't mind a clone system, I recommend the retro duo portable 2.0. it's around 75 bucks and plays sfc and snes games right out of the box. it also includes a nes adapter, and a genesis adapter can be bought for another $20. has a/v outs to go to any tv as well additional 2x snes pad adapter for on tv play. really a great little unit if you might be looking to take a snes/sfc on the go with you.

12. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

You have to break the tabs.

13. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

If you like the SFC and PAL SNES better than the NTSC SNES, you can get a pass-through adaptor (just pins, no other components on the PCB) to play NTSC SNES games on SFC. That way you get the look you want and you're also not losing the advantage of having a 60Hz console.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
    • Like Like x 1