how to get over a fear?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LordShockwave, Nov 3, 2012.

1. LordShockwave

LordShockwave Harold of Power.

News Credits:
    I have a fear of spiders, please don't judge, and I really want to get over it. It has gotten to the point where i saw a big one in my room and i wouldn't step foot in my room for a week.
    does anyone have suggestions or stories on how they got over a substantial fear of theirs?

2. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Man up and face it.

Seriously. If you keep backing away from the things that terrify you the most, you'll always be a slave to them. Take a deep breath, and grab a shoe. Let you fear of the spider morph into blind rage that the little bastard has dared invade your living space and then smash him into paste.

That's what I did with cockroaches.

3. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I used to afraid of getting mugged or threatened with knives, then it happened to me all at once one day. I faced my fear and emerged alive and sane, and that's the only effective way to it.

4. Starscream600

Starscream600 Certified Virtual Pilot

Yeah. Fatal gives good advice. Kill it. Smash it. Blend it. Not necessarily in that order.

5. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Expose yourself to them and reward yourself for doing so.

6. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

Facing it.

I used to be crazy-scared of bees and wasps, mostly because I didn't know if I had allergies to their stings, but also because my hearing is pretty acute and their buzzing is just super loud to me.

Well, I got stung once by a honeybee, and not much happened. I also used to do volunteer work for an animal rescue that was in the mountains, which meant that every type of wild bee and wasp was darting in and out of the compound (the yellow jackets especially loved the steaks we left for the wolves, tigers etc.) I was also a safety back up for school tours. I guess the day I really got over the deep-seeded fear was when this huge carpenter bee flew right into a crowd of kids while we had a jaguar in one cage to my right, and mountain lions in another to my left. The kids were screaming and I just said "relax - stay calm - don't freak out" as the carpenter bee hovered right in front of me, then took off.

Seriously, what can you do? Doesn't do anyone any good to freak out, and the kids got under control real quick. After that day, I actually became much more aware that I had wasp problems in my own yard I needed to deal with so they didn't sting my dogs. Now, every year I knock down yellow jacket nests with little to no problem. Haven't been stung once, either.

Just gotta look your enemy in the eye and say "eff you."

:popcorn 

7. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    Gotta face it head on. Some things you gotta face head on sooner or later. Your fear of spiders, while it's understandable it's also kind of irrational. They don't actively seek out to bite people, whilst there are some spiders that are aggressive and/or highly venomous, you are highly unlikely to encounter them often, if at all. Even if you did get bitten there is an antivenom for most known venomous spider bites. They are also excellent pest control. Without them imagine how many more annoying mosquito's, coachroaches and flies there'd be around....

8. UnicronHound

UnicronHound Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As everyone else said, Face It. If you don't want to deal with HUGE spiders then find tiny ones, things that you can squish easily incase of too much fear. I'm afraid of looking up at tall buildings, gives me a sense of gravity being turned off, mainly got over it by watching the end of Peter Jackson's King Kong multiple times.

9. Decay_is_awesome

Decay_is_awesome Well-Known Member

Face it in stages. Maybe start by looking up thumbnail images of spiders and then slowly move onto larger clearer ones. Then ask a friend to catch you a spider and bring it to you in a jar and put it on the other side of the room and work your way over until your comfortable picking it up and taking a long look at it. You're better off learning you can coexist rather than just training yourself that you need to kill them all before you can relax and feel safe.

If you just decide to 'man up' and dive in head first you can end up being freaked out and it will cement the fear in your head. If you force yourself to do it in stages you gradually take the power away from the fear rather than having to face it suddenly at its most extreme.

If you take its legs out from under it before you look it in the eye you will be much less likely to blink.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  10. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Old Git

News Credits:
    Naw, don't kill spiders - spiders are bro's, just use a cup and card to put it outside (unless you live in australia, in which case kill it with fire.)

11. Starscream600

Starscream600 Certified Virtual Pilot

The bloody aussie hardcore way! :lol 

12. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

Christ, people... "you're afraid of spiders, so kill it"? He asked how to get over a fear, not redirect his fear into blind, murderous hatred.

Dude, grab some kind of tupperware or an acrylic display case (those old Beanie Baby ones are perfect). Finagle the spider in there, and take it outside. If you want, you could even take a look at it for a little bit. There's little to be scared of. They'll only bite to eat or as a last resort to defend themselves (they'd rather just run and hide). They're only looking for what your room provides plenty of, a warm place to stay.

13. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    I was once scared of Pitbulls.

Then a bought M.I.A.M.I......and that did nothing. But at least I tried.

Sooo.....if you want to get over a fear, just don't do what I did.

14. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

i am afarid of streets and please help with this fear

15. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Get a pet tarantula.

16. Hosta

Hosta Banned

like they said....you just have to tackle arachnophobia head on! @ least it's not Blackarachnia or Airachnid.

17. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wouldn't mind tackling Blackarchnia head on.

18. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    :lolol 

19. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Buy a handgun. You think a spider will survive a bullet to the face? Be sure to say a Clint Eastwood-style quote before you blow it away.

20. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

There's a toxin/spray.

Did you ever watch the episode of Batman: The New Batman Adventures called "Never Fear"?

:wink: