Minor/Repaint: How to fix AOE Strafe's stupid wrists

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by GartheKnight, Jun 7, 2014.

1. GartheKnight

GartheKnight New Member

Like many I really like AOE Strafe, but hate his stupid wrist configuration that gives him gorilla arms. I've come up with a fix that is not without drawbacks, but I like it better.

Since the hands are held in by a simple mushroom peg, I just popped the hand out, cut off the peg flush with the back of the hand and glued it to the flat part on the bottom of the hand. Unfortunately my glue wasn't strong enough to hold. So I took the smallest drill bit I had and drilled a small hole through the peg. Then I drilled a small hole in the bottom of the hand. I used a small nail, cut off the head and to length and jammed it in the peg, then jammed the peg into the fist. Gave it a quick couple taps of a hammer and it was in. The nail has some grip to it, so it won't come out.

Now his fists are more normal. Note they still have some swivel for posing, and it also helps them to get out of the way a bit when you peg the arms to the wings in dino mode.

There are some drawbacks, the hollow part of the arms now faces up which doesn't look great But in my opinion that's a tradeoff I'll make to get rid of gorilla arms.

Attached Files:

2. swOd

swOd Search and Wrescue

Nice. I like your solution. Can't wait to get mine on the work bench. Looks like a lot of room to work in the forearm ... I'm gonna try to give him ball jointed wrists and maybe cover the forearm gap with some spare parts painted black.

3. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    brilliant. you just redeemed this figure for me.

4. Jerrymiru

Jerrymiru TF Ninja

... I don't mind the gorilla arms. Bit it is a real question of why did they not do this in the first place. Still though, good job. :thumb 

5. justdd

justdd Well-Known Member

That space in the forearm makes me assumes the hands were originally going to fold in. But this works nicely.

6. GartheKnight

GartheKnight New Member

Yeah the hands do fit in the cavity in the arm. My guess would be the size and complexity of the wing assembly ate up the part count/plastic volume that would have gone into the wrists. He also has a lot of silver paint, which may have killed his budget for this.

7. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:
    Dude, I had the same idea!

Now just to get something to fill in his arms...

8. Hoptimus

Hoptimus How I roll.

News Credits:
    Nice, that's exactly what I would have done. Great minds think alike, heh.

9. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:
    And I almost posted that exact comment, Word for word..

10. GartheKnight

GartheKnight New Member

Was just looking at Strafe again, and I see a possible way to get some ball-jointed wrists.

Pop one of his legs off, and notice the ball cup is attached to the thigh via a mushroom peg. If you had a second Strafe, you could pop those pieces out and pop them into the arms. Then cut off the ball peg from the waist and pin it to the back of the hand in a way similar to what I did with the mushroom peg. If that all works, you'd have fully ball-jointed wrists that could also turn then fold into the socket in the arm.

I think this will work, but I don't have a second Strafe to sacrifice to try this on... maybe if one hits a sale or clearance. But if someone else wants to try it, please post your results!

(hopefully this rambling makes sense to somebody...)