How to Disable "Go to New Post" when clicking the thread title?

Discussion in 'TFW2005 Tech Support' started by s10blazed, Aug 21, 2017.

1. s10blazed

s10blazed Duly appointed...

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Hello,

I have been scouring through the preferences so I hope I just didn't miss something. Is there a way to disable going to the newest post when you click a thread title? I'm not talking about the little icon beside it. I mean the thread title itself.

When I click New Posts, any thread I go to launches me to some seemingly random post. Even to threads I've never read before. Ones that I have read before (and stay current in via email notifications) jump to some random spot too. Usually something I've already read.

I would prefer that when I click the thread title it starts me at post 1, and I can manually click Go To New on the topics I have kept active in.

I hope it's doable, thanks.

2. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    Gonna try to get to the root of your problem, but first just double checking, do you check the NEW POSTS at the top of the forum? and you mention the blue dot next to the thread. Which pic is the one you're using and don't want it to take you to the first new post? Also, are you using the Mark Forums Read function??? Top left, under the highlighted FORUMS word.

tfwNEWPOSTsnip.PNG tfwReadNewPostsnip.PNG

3. s10blazed

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Yes, I click the New Posts button exclusively to read the posts. Its the first thing I do when I get here.

I click the thread title (the words) to get into the threads. I can't remember ever clicking the little circle. I just noticed it in trying to figure out what I may have been doing wrong.

I have clicked Mark Forums Read 2 or 3 times total. The first time was during the site upgrade. It was mentioned somewhere to do it to clear notifications or something. I've done it again once or twice to try and remedy my issue to no avail.

I have also cleared my cookies/cache and being mindful to only open the site on 1 PC for an extended time.

Any other suggestions I can try before you delve too far into it?

4. moreprimeland

News Credits:
    Pretty sure the 'first post read' is part of the programming that we probably wouldn't consider modifying as most members do want to go to the first new post in the threads they visit often. To start with the first post over and over for most, would be annoying. This is not an option per member under our profile preferences either.

If you click on NEW POSTS, then you'll definitely see the new posts in any thread and only those posted since you're last logged on. Absolutely no way to change that.

However if you've Marked ALL forums read and you're still having this problem, there's not much else I can think of to change this.

Usually after I Mark TFGD or GD forum for example.. all of the threads inside these forums go from dark (meaning new posts) to light and I would think you should be able to have the first post. I've tested that and it works like that for me.

If you've only done that 3 times since the changeover, then that could be part of your problem, I "Mark Forums Read" DAILY!!! When you see the box, you can choose either the single forum or ALL forums, choosing ALL forums would be the fastest way to make sure you can clear all the threads and then when you choose any thread it should take you to the OP.

5. s10blazed

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    This is true. I guess the annoying part is clicking a new (to me) thread and going to some random post 3 pages in and I have to manually go back to the first post to know what's going on. I half figured this is just the way it is and I'll try clicking Mark Forums Read more often and see if it works any better.

6. moreprimeland

News Credits:
    Hopefully it will. Like I said, I do this (Mark Forums Read) often and it seems to work fine.

7. s10blazed

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    It was brought to my attention that you can click the date that is directly under the thread title to go to the first post in a thread from the New Posts list. It seems like that is the thread creation date right beside the thread starter. This is exactly what I wanted to do. I like this setup better because I can choose to see the newest post with the title, or the first thread with the date. Problem solved!

8. moreprimeland

News Credits:
    I click the last date quite a bit, so yeah, that works too!!!

You could also click the page number of any thread, if you know you've read 10 pages, then start on page 11, if you like.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017