How to become a toy reviewer and get figures before release date?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by setsuna, May 15, 2019 at 12:40 PM.

1. setsuna

setsuna Well-Known Member

seeing people do reviews of figures like siege jetfire long before the release date. Wondering if anyone here knows how a you reviewer can receive figures early to review and do they get paid by the figure, or actually money and the figure?

2. Soundwavelover2004

Soundwavelover2004 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Do some sort of magic perhaps

• Like Like x 3
  3. 0ptimus__Prime

0ptimus__Prime Autobot Commander

News Credits:
    So there are multiple ways people get access to figures early;
    • Prototype and Review Copies: Content creators with a large following will sometimes be contacted by a figure developer to create a video, article/blogpost, and/or review about the product. See @Vangelus with his 3A Bumblebee "Prototype Playtime" Series on Youtube for an example. (It may or may not be a finalized copy of the toy, in the case of Chris, he doesn't necessarily calls it a review as it may change slightly before it reaches retail consumers, but it is enough of a overview of the product to satisfy the needs of agreement between 3A and the creators they reach out to.)
    • > Also if you operate something like a large podcast, fan website (like TFW) you will also sometimes recieve promotional kits like what we've seen with the BOTBOT displays the TFW2005 posts whenever a new assortment is being launched soon.
    • Leaked Copies: Another way, and usually the most common way I've seen on Youtube is early samples of the product will be distributed to parties that sell their copies on auction websites and reviewers use their Ad revenue and/or patrons to buy the early figures to one of the first reviewers to draw in a large volume of viewers - thus increasing their ad revenue in return.
    Depending on the terms of the sponsored content; the figure is generally (from my understanding) a loaner figure for the duration it takes to create the review. It is just a way to drive interest in a new product and promote the supplying retailer. That's why most toy review videos that have a sponsor begin with "Get your toys at 'X Toy store [dot] com' for all your toy needs"

People used to get stolen factory copies about 10 years ago around Revenge of the Fallen and Animated, but since then factory security has supposedly become tighter and this has not become such a common occurrence.

If this is something you truly want to pursue I'd suggest starting a social media platform channel and develop a strong, large channel that highlighters your personal style and way of presenting content (easier said, than done). With enough hard work and marketing yourself to viewers and retailers; you could establish a sponsorship with a vendor or a brand like a 3rd party developer, a small company, or even Hasbro themselves if the channel becomes large enough. It isn't unreasonable to try to become a brand influencer! Hope this helps.

-Prime

Last edited: May 15, 2019 at 1:15 PM
    • Like Like x 8
  4. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

A lot of them seem to buy foreign releases on eBay or invest a lot in quick reviews (toyhunting) to build a following.

PixelDan gets a lot of free stuff NOW but I think he started off paying more to track stuff down for review early on.

I’d just caution against reviewing with factory leaks particularly if they’re rejects as that may turn companies off on sending you samples.

Also, they’re going to skew towards people who are upbeat so even if your review is negative, practice saying things like “this was a problem on my copy; yours may be different” and “as a fan of XYZ, I’m probably not the target for this so just because I’m not excited doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be”.

In general, I’d also venture you’d be better off not talking about 3P unless you ONLY want 3P samples and keeping a family friendly tone.

You can be serious or silly but don’t get sad or angry. It’s toys! It’s fun!

Also, your ad revenue and reach will spike if you can get a kid audience.

• Like Like x 3
  5. setsuna

setsuna Well-Known Member

Thanks 0ptimus and Rodimus! Appreciate the wisdom of the Primes ;) 

Is there a section to share my reviews here on TFW?

• Like Like x 2
  6. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Well-Known Member

From what I've gathered:
    • Start reviewing toys
    • share your reviews
    • hope

• Like Like x 1
  7. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

Yep! There's the feedback and reviews forum here. Main area is for picture reviews but there's also a spot if you prefer doing it with video instead.
    Transformers Feedback & Reviews

8. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

This may sound obvious, but, whatever style you select, you might consider refraining from snapping the toys in half on purpose or throwing them against a wall out of anger. Lolz. I've seen both happen...neither action influenced my purchasing decision...they served only to convince me to avoid watching said reviewers in the future.

Like @RodimusRex alluded to, be happy and upbeat. And, practice and become familiar with the toys before filming your review. You need to look like you know what you're doing.

Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 2:38 PM
  9. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Learn to take criticism from your viewership. And don't engage in public feuds with them, or fellow reviewers for that matter.

10. SideswipeFriend2005

SideswipeFriend2005 Villainous multiverse traveler

Apparently the TonTon dude steals from the Mexican factories, so become a criminal I guess...

11. Saito Satoru

Saito Satoru smile

News Credits:
    Tonton is Vietnam-based. His review samples are often taken from the Hasbro factory in Vietnam, which is in his hometown. I guess he has connections, but I don't really know since I haven't spoken to him for a long time.

• Like Like x 3
  12. analogue

analogue Logically Illogical TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    At this point you would need to do something really different to stand out from the already, well-established crowd. Not to discourage you in any way, but just bringing up the most obvious point. You have to bring something new to the table. What that is - who knows.

• Like Like x 1
  13. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
    My personal note on this: I don't watch Youtube reviews...and I'm really not influenced by pictoral reviewers. I generally know what I want and will purchase it regardless of what anyone says - allowing my own opinion to form. THEN, I'll sometimes read some pictoral reviews, specifically Ben Yee's, to see what others think of it if only to see if they share my opinion.

If one wants to be a Transformers influencer, I guess that's up to them. I just won't be in your audience.

14. Blackout32

Blackout32 MEGADETH - Rust in Peace

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Yeah he (tonton) REALLY got accused of theft on the latest review he did with the Seige Brunt figure. Plus if you cross that REALLY fine line between good and bad you can get into trouble if bad is your thing. So you really need to be careful with what you do in figures to buy to review on YouTube.

• Like Like x 1
  15. axl6533

axl6533 metal forever

News Credits:
    Damn I knew something like that was going to happen oneday

• Like Like x 1
  16. Blackout32

Blackout32 MEGADETH - Rust in Peace

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Yep,....just read the YouTube video comments and it's really crazy. There's about 3 people kept calling him out as a theft of stolen property from Hasbro factory. It was basically that he's getting these even before Asian release date and long before US release. Any more getting stolen figures i think is no worse then selling drugs,.......well narcotic pills that is. When you think about it,.....it's funny to say toys could get you locked up when it's so innocent ya know but it's not.

• Like Like x 1