How slavish to G1 does your MP collection have to be?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by the oaf, Sep 14, 2016.

1. JoeHavok

JoeHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have to disagree. Most people prefer the cartoon likeness as G1. If G1 Marvel Comics, or IDW was preferred, then we would see more of it. Clearly, the G1 cartoon likeness is what's selling. Does that mean there are no fans of the other. Of course not. But, G1 cartoon accuracy is what's popular.

2. Splendic

Splendic bleep blorp

Ebay:
    Well, cartoon likeness being the most popular doesn't really address anything I wrote in my post... but ok.

3. Megatronus27

Megatronus27 Well-Known Member

Good description of what I like to see in my figures as well.

An enjoyable transformation to make the figure fun is my final consideration (where Takara excels and companies like BadCube and XTransbots fail).

4. malware5

malware5 Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more with this, it's why I scratch my head when I see people complaining about stuff like Ironhide's granny sized crotch underwear or Grapple's tubbiness...it baffles me because that's what they looked like in the cartoon which the MP line is predominantly based on. The other day there was this nutcase complaining about how he didn't want MP Grimlock's dino head hanging off his back...just like it did in the cartoon, which prompted me to ask something along the lines of; "Why the fuck are you even collecting masterpiece in the first place!?" I'd rather have them toon accurate than some over the top, badass, hipster wannabe, gaudy looking nonsense like those hideous giga robots!

Not trying to be that guy but I find talk like this to be very patronising and condescending! Maybe, just maybe some of us have actually attempted and given other things non Sunbow G1 a chance and have come to realise...noooooooothing compares to it, noothing compares to it. You see, that kind of talk is very hipster and dismissive, it's almost indadvertedly saying the only reason you possibly can't like IDW or anything non Sunbow G1 is because you haven't tried them, which is hogwash, I've read Dreamwave, listened to reviews on IDWhateva and the little I listened doesn't make me remotely interested in it, it doesn't sound G1 to me. BW....omfg, don't get me started on it, it's so overrated, it's mind numbing, mediocre at best!

But as well as that I think it's that smug attitude IDWhateva fans have along with BW fans, a very overrated mediocre show by the way, 'if you don't like it there's something wrong with you and not the stuff you don't like!?' MEH! I'll tell you why I don't enjoy or care anything post Sunbow, it's simple, nothing that's come after it has had the originality, creativity, magic and the timeless charm that Sunbow G1 cartoon has or had. Everyone knows this, even TT and Hasbro, it's why they'll keep on going back to the G1 well pumping out cheap imitation, one after another, in vain really until they find the next G1, something with the same charm, that x-factor, which resonated strongly amongst kids in the 80's!

Oh, and FYI I love 90's rap and R&B, pop, 80's music, I honestly don't think I'm missing out on anything if the likes of Miley Cyrus, Drake, Arianna Grande and Nicki Minaj are anything to go by!

:D 

• Like Like x 2
  5. Weezie

Weezie Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree, I don't understand at all why people complain about MP being slavishly G1. That's what it's always been, ever since MP-01. Sometimes they give us characters from other continuities or eras (G2 or movie verse) but it's undeniable that G1 is MP's bread and butter. If you don't like it, there's Classics for you.

6. Splendic

Splendic bleep blorp

Ebay:
    I think some of the issue with arguments about MP aesthetics comes from the fact that the term "MP" has been misappropriated to define figures in the MP scale.

And it seems there are fewer CHUG figures coming out than MP at this point, pushing a lot of CHUG collectors into the MP-scaled market who may want more varied options.

7. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I've always said that there are millions of transformers out there in the universe so the sky is the limit for characters and gimmicks. I love the idea of that mmc figure up there who i have no idea who it is either being soundwaves drinking buddy. I would put that with my mps

8. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I couldn't help but think of Donald Trump when I read these two lines. :) 

9. malware5

malware5 Well-Known Member

Make Sunbow G1 Great Again!

:lol :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  10. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

News Credits:
    You seen my first line though. The reason I said what I did was because the poster I quoted said he pitied us.

And then you said all what you said and it was all opinion anyway >_____<

It's great you like G1 (and nothing but) and think nothing compares (completely your opinion).

I like G1 also. In fact on the first or second page I even mentioned I like
    Semi-Slavishly stuff. I may like multiple properties - but I like each of those properties to pretty much represent 100% the fiction it is based on.

11. Jeriboy54

Jeriboy54 Well-Known Member

My collection is all over place, mainly G1. I perfer a mix toon and toy. I do enjoyed Idw and few other interpretations. I collect for the sake of nostalgia and what ever looks cool.

I rather can't stand the pretentious attitude of strictly G1 or IDW fans. We may have different criteria what our collections consists of but we're all here for the same reason our love of transformers.

• Like Like x 2
  12. pezley

pezley Well-Known Member

What about if someone has no attachment to the new things ? You can't force a bond if there isn't one. For some, Transformers isn't their passion but the era they gre up with/love/enjoyed etc the most is. A Lot of people say Beast Wars is the pinnacle of transformers, for me I disagree but I certainly don't agree.

I like G1 because it's the designs and characters I love, you say about experiencing new things, I have plenty other hobbies & interests for that. I also don't have the space to get bits from every TF line.

If your parents listen to music that makes them happy when listening to an era they prefer, why would you feel sorry for them ? That seems awfully opinionated. They might not be listening to the music for just the music but for the memories and how it makes them feel.

13. CLM

CLM Well-Known Member

Hmm, I Kinda want G1 stuff in my G1 Masterpiece collection... It is kind of the reason for the collection. As for how slavish? Well if it isn't G1 how would it fit? I think Macross, Voltron, Hot Toys... etc. all have great Masterpiece figures but I am too poor to go all out beyond a limiting scope of 'G1 Transformers' for my G1 collection. Not that I don't like the other figures or anything, they are just not appropriate for this collection.

14. Big Hache

Big Hache Perfect

News Credits:
    I want my collection to be so slavish to G1, it gives Brittany Spears a run for her money. (course I doubt anyone remembers that song anymore)

15. Weezie

Weezie Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Slave 4 U?

16. Big Hache

Big Hache Perfect

News Credits:
    Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

17. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

News Credits:
    D'oh.

Not sure what is so special about my comment that everyone keeps trying to pick it apart ... completely ignoring the comment the person I quoted in my reply and what *he* said. Just goes to show how crazy you GeeWunners are :p 

Nothing wrong with it. Just like there is nothing wrong with there being different versions and stories of Transformers.

I like G1. I loved it (as a child and growing up and once BW hit TV I was all like "wtf my cars gone, yo."). I have a very healthy MP/G1/198X collection.

I just happen to like IDW more. I can relate to the more adult and coherent story telling. That's it. Please enjoy G1 and nothing but if that's your guys' thing. Go nuts.

18. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    I have shackles.......

19. JoeHavok

JoeHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The question is how Slavish to G1 does your collection have to be. G1 for "Most" people refers to G1 cartoon accuracy. If your talking about IDW, then that is its own iteration, and not G1. Also, toy or Comic accuracy really doesn't apply. The only comic accurate figures where produced by Takara, and Hasbro. Not a third party company if we're excluding IDW. So I think your off base by talking about what "Most" people prefer their G1 collections to be. I don't read any posts about people wanting figures to look just like the G1 toy, the G1 toy already does. And the same goes for G1 Marvel Comic accuracy. So again, I just disagree with your post. That's all.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  20. Splendic

Splendic bleep blorp

Ebay:
    Look, I appreciate your opinion that sales popularity defines exactly what "G1" means, but again, you're either ignoring everything I wrote, or fail to understand the point of it.

My post clearly pointed out that the descriptor "G1" is not as objectively defined as you'd like to believe it is. It's semi-subjective, and is different things to different people, which remains true no matter what sales popularity or your own tastes might be. What is G1 to me, might not be to you, and vice versa... which was the entire crux of what I wrote earlier.

And if you actually read the entirety of my post, I made no mention of "most" people because unlike you, I'm not making a generalization (beyond the fact that different people have different tastes). But again, you're either unable or unwilling to see the point being made because you're very determined to make your own, unrelated point. Which is fine, but still off base.

Anyway, since you're dragging me into your separate and unrelated argument, I'll say that you are objectively wrong if you think that "Also, toy or Comic accuracy really doesn't apply. The only comic accurate figures where produced by Takara, and Hasbro." If you believe that, you either don't pay attention to much varied product lines, or don't stray very far on the message board. If all you're interested in is Sunbow animation-alikes, that might explain it.

But pages upon pages of arguments over whether or not the official MP figures' change in aesthetic direction to slavish cartoon accuracy proves that many collectors are concerned with MP figures losing toy and comic inspired detailing. And because official MPs set the tone for everything else, the same argument has spilled over into most all 3P discussions as well.

If anything, that seems to be the driving force behind most of the discussions about "definitive" iterations of characters all across the boards since Lazerwave. Those who want Sunbow accuracy for everything, and those who don't...

...proving that whether it's HasTak, or 3P, you're going to be wrong if you think you can define "G1" as one being of a single source.