How should Bumblebee's character be defined now that Sam is out of the movies?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by griffn29, Jul 17, 2014.

1. griffn29

griffn29 Well-Known Member

This was something ive been wondering about.

In the first 1-3 movies, Bumblebee was mostly defined by his relationship with Sam Witwikky, the main human, spoke mostly in fragmented radio clips, and also the fact that he turned into a cool sports car.

But now Sam is out of the picture, and he doesn't relate to strongly in a way to yeager family that isn't dissimilar from the autobots and far less than characters like hound or optimus prime; the majority of the autobot cast and even the villian transform into cool sports cars; and it sounds like there are a lot of people on these boards who are tired of hearing him speak in voice clips by this point.

So what defines him as a character now? His pugalism? The fact that he's one of the only autobots to survive all four movies? In this movie in particular, a lot of the characters give him the superstar treatment for no reason, and he really doesn't have anything to show for it.

He gets a singular scene of him in a non action role, a rather large focus in the action scenes, and even a pseudo antagonist of his own to face off with, but only seeing this movie and none of the others would put someone under the impression of them being a flat character who gets a lot of screen time just because of who they once were

It's like bumblebee is now a celebrity guest star on the transformers movies

2. autobot slapper

autobot slapper Banned

I prefered Bumblebee is AOE than the original trilogy.

3. griffn29

griffn29 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but it doesn't really feel like he does anything unique anymore to deserve the large swash of marketing focus that he gets every movie. They producers of this movie haven't really done anything to expand on his character, and now he just feels less relevant

Honestly, I'm just asking why Hasbro feels the need to push his presence in the movies every damn time.

4. Decepticons

Decepticons B∆K. Bug-a-Boo Ghost.

News Credits:
    Same.

5. autobot slapper

autobot slapper Banned

Because kids love him. He's the first Autobot to arrive on the big screen and everybody knows him.

6. Chris James

Chris James Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agreed. I liked Bee in the first 3, but he was basically acted like Sam's dog and he hogged all the screen time from the other autobots in RoTF and DotM. I loved his childish/cocky attitude in AoE and that he didn't take all the screen time from Hound, Drift and Crosshairs. In AoE he was a team player.

7. Muramasa

Muramasa Well-Known Member

Bee was definitely a lot better when he's not around Sam. When he first appeared, the audience in my theater clapped.

8. daniel 97

daniel 97 Autobots' second in command

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    You want him to be adored by the audience again, you want to expand his personality - LISTEN TO ME THIS TIME film makers, whoever you are, LISTEN CAREFULLY - Give him his fucking voice back, make him the leader while Prime is gone and make him more mature!!!

9. Pauly T

Pauly T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    BB should get his voice back, and they should cast Shia LaBeouf as his VA so Bee talks like Sam.

10. daniel 97

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Umm...Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Sam the reason they decided to mute Bee? So that he has a special relationship with Sam, that isn't based on words? Well...now Sam's gone:D  and I don't see any point in keeping BB mute.

11. rodster6

rodster6 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Give him a voice! The radio talk thing got old in the second movie. Let him actually speak and convey more personality that way. Then again, the other bots can talk and aren't given much personality so maybe it wouldn't make any difference.

12. arcee101

arcee101 wrecker

Bumble Bee will be the Hot Rod of this trilogy.

13. daniel 97

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    He needs a voice got dammit!

14. Scorpio

Scorpio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bumblebee has lost his purpose since Sam... their is no reason for him to be focused on anymore as he is no longer what I'd class as a 'character'

What they should really do is have Bumblebee regain his voice, this shows character development and character growth. Have him actually act more mature - especially given the murder of a bunch of Autobots in AOE.

In TF5 or TF6 they should have Optimus die with Bumblebee taking over - this would enable them to show that Bumblebee has grown from a simple scout in the Autobots to becoming a leader in his own right - essentially making the series actually have a connecting theme of growth as we see Bumblebee in his juvenile stages mature until he becomes leader (He is also the only Transformer that is well known to the masses in this series other than Prime)

15. Sideswipe3963

Sideswipe3963 Warrior

To me, it's just because he's been so adored by fans, so I don't see the issue here. As far as his voice goes, I like the radio talk thing, but I wouldn't mind it either way. Now, about Optimus dying, I don't see that happening. The, emphasis on this next word, average fan would be irate, which is where their billions come from.

16. astrocreep777

astrocreep777 Command 2 Microman

Ebay:
    Dead

17. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    I don't get why people think if you can't have Sam, you can't have Bee. Bee was better in AOE than in any of the previous movies combined IMO with Sam absent. And really Sam was a jerk with Bee most of the time he DIDN'T need him to save his life.

18. daniel 97

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Optimus probably won't die, but until he returns there's gotta be a new leader - Bumblebee. And how exactly will a leader give orders without a voice? It's just stupid, not annoying, not pointless, not lame, it's just stupid, he's just there standing and humming like a little baby, like a whinger!!!??? This sucks man, give him his voice back and let him be the funny, little guy he really used to be in G1 or at the end of Transformers: Prime. Being mute, is like being nobody, he can't say what he thinks and it's just STUPID!!!!! RRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHHHHH

NELSON, anybody, please give Bumblebee a normal voice actor, how would people feel if Prime talked through the radio. Bee's cuteness and allure wore off, please give him his voice back, PLEASE.

It's not necessary to think a lot, guys like Brad Hawkins, Will Friedle, Johny-Young Bosch, Nolan North could work for movie BEE!