how should animated handle the combiner teams?

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by GENOZAUR, Jul 9, 2008.

1. mangaravenprime

mangaravenprime Member

2. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Chill out please guys. You've both got your opinions and that's cool, but there is no reason to keep arguing over them.

Now, mangaravenprime, I am afraid that you are a little mistaken. There was only ever one version of Devastator. To my knowledge, the individuals were identical to the ones in the gift set.
    Magnaboss came out in the second year of Beast Wars, a long time before Beast Machines, and the Beast Machines series never ran under the title of Beast Wars. Its working title was Beast Hunters, but it never used that as it was dropped long before the first episode.

Cybertron was not that close a sequel to Energon, either. Many of the toys were out in Japan 6 months plus before the start of the show. The Energon toys included Superion, and all Energon designed toys were made with the Energon star attach points. All of Cybertrons toys - which had few if any Energon repaints - had Cyber Key slots. Even the handful of Armada reuses were altered to incorporate Cyber Keys.

However, you are right about Ruination, although he was an RiD character he was released in an Armada style box. Also, Superion was still available in Cybertron as were many Energon overstock items - but they were all sold under the banner of a sub-series called Transformers Universe rather than as a part of the main line. That may be where some of your confusion comes from.

Also, I seriously doubt we'll see anything like four deluxes and a voyager combiner. Energon was about the best we'll ever get for the classic style. Hasbro has explained it at Botcon year after year - it takes a lot of developer hours to design something to fit together, and to get them out on the shelves, you either have to split them across waves (undesirable if one wave is understocked, makes the whole thing harder to complete) or put them all in one wave (undesirable as it eats up a whole wave of toys and also means if one is shortpacked the complete thing is harder to complete).
    Giftsets are probably the safer bet. Something like an Ultra where you have all the parts in one box is much more likely right now. I would imagine we'll see something like that for Animated one day, especially given Animated makes use of super powers, and what is better as a super power than merging with another robot?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  3. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not just Sol is fast, he totally stole my post!

Also something about Cybertron being the same line as Energon: NO.

Simply because the Cybertron line wasn't even connected to Energon in Japan, Hasbro USA just had the (bad) idea to connect the Cybertron Anime/Toyline to Energon, don't ask me why either, I have no idea why they did that.

oh yeah btw, about my source, most of the stuff I get from how Hasbro works is reading their QAs at Botcon, you should too, sometimes it's pretty funny how stuff work.

4. mangaravenprime

mangaravenprime Member

Good points Sol Fury. But I do remember best wars season fn involving going back to cybertron and the very next being "beast machines" where they where on cybertron.. to me it seamed to close to disconnect. as for Energon and cypertron... all I realy go on is what I read about here and there.. not a real big fan of ether.. some great figures came from it but thats about it.. On that note I have from my personal collection a few repaints of cybertron and energon figurer that where cool anough to peeked my enterst in the series ( yes superion)... and the wiki links is where I got the bulk of what I know about them.
    ^^ but your points are strong anough for me to take future note. thank you. ^^ But you shroobmaster.. lol no way. you just spouted blank combiner hatred rants with nothing to back it up of give a feesable oposing openion.

as for devastator. I found what i was looking for from a retro action figure collector. There was dicast devestator figures, sold sepratly ( The pic link is in my last post ) but was limited and jp only.. they where how ever the same size as the plastic figs and if bigger, to slight to notice much.

and deluxe or V-class combiners?! OOO no no. never said that was comeing. butI know if they did. they would sale... but most likely not well anough for mass market.

5. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    so is it confirmed that there is a combiner in animated aside from that one that we know of, ie the fire/ice 'clone' duo? (these are supposed to be two delux sized figures packed as a voyager price set, i think??)

6. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    I guess I'm just used to argue against people that know what we're talking about, if you actualy read the Botcon QAs you wouldn't be looping in a space of LOL NO YOU HAVE NO SOURCE, in fact I should be the one asking for sources considering your sources are either Wikipedia or "stuff that I remember" and everybody knows how both are so reliable.

Combiner hatred? I have more combiners than you probably do INCLUDING the Japan-only dinosaur dudes, I just don't see 'em going in Animated when lately combiners have sold sooo... bad.

"they would sale... but most likely not well anough for mass market."

that's exactly why Hasbro probably WON'T do a combiner limbs-style toy for Animated, they're disasters, always end up selling worse than leader figures, plus there's the fact the newest combiners failed, hell they even had to repaint that Devastator for Classics because their factories had a shitload of 'em, Hasbro probably won't try that type of toy again unless they give the combining characters at least 5 spotlight episodes in the show and they make it a 3-person team.

That is, if they DON'T end up repainting Energon combiners again to clear their storages.

Oh you know what? I'm tired of this and I bet you are too, let's just stop already it'll just be the same thing, you'll say YOU HAVE NO SOURCE ASSHOLE, I'll say READ THE BOTCON QAs and again and again and again and again.

7. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    No, in fact we don't even know if the Jetstorm/Jetfire duo is really a combiner, for all we know they could be like Dreadwing/Darkwind, just a combined vehicle attack mode.

8. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    rumour has it that they do actually combine in both modes, open to falsification when they are shown.

9. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    I'd laugh REALLY hard if it ended up like this
    [​IMG]

10. mangaravenprime

mangaravenprime Member

"Combiner hatred? I have more combiners than you probably do INCLUDING the Japan-only dinosaur dudes, I just don't see 'em going in Animated when lately combiners have sold sooo... bad"

Ahhuh. hay hay. wiki is a fairly good sorce but I do find that peeps here have valuble imfo that I ether skiped or missed out on. your just not one of them.
    and WTF kid what are you 12? I dont care how many combiners you have. and I'm guessing you dont remember saing - "Dude I hate combiners," I posted Onslaught because I like ONSLAUGHT and if he ever gets in I seriously hope there's no Bruticus for the sake of his characterization."
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=182374&page=6
    hmm... never the lier?

11. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

*Large expensive price points do not sell well and need to be kept limited.
    *Trailers sell poorly and are basically being eliminated.
    *Energon gestalts as individuals was a disaster at the stores which is why most of the overpacked torsos were repackaged as universe at the dollar store.
    *Energon Limbs were horribly shortpacked, one speculation was people would buy a single torso and multiple limbs (like 8 limbs for 1 torso)
    *Most combiners of late have been exclusive boxed sets. Due to the poor sales, stores no longer wish to take them as exclusives as many ended up on clearance which is why Universe Constructicons were online and Universe Seacons are apparently never.

This is all confirmed by Hasbro at Botcon Q&As. Considering these facts, it is no wonder they are not in a rush to design more combiners and they are not going to be any worse for it in the marketplace because clearly it is not a large market.

And who knows? maybe they want to limit their 'combiners' so only one of the 3 main lines between MOVIE/UNIVERSE/ANIAMTED will have one? We still do not know if one is planned for TF2 so if the Movie line is getting one, then there is a good shot Animated won't.

12. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    I don't hate combiners, I just said that because I'm a spastic asshole!

Now really I suggest you stop dragging this around when it's pretty clear your idea of WHY ANIMATED SURELY GONNA HAVE COMBINERS was wrong since the start, in fact I seriously doubt you ever had the slighty idea of what you were talking about hell you just said WIKIPEDIA IS A FAILY GOOD SOURCE and you thought Energon toys in Cybertron meant the toylines were almost the same, by your logic the movie line is related to Armada because they used a Red Alert repaint in it.

But you know what's funny? You'll keep saying whatever I said is bullshit but instantly agree with whoever say the same thing as me just because you had an argument with me, in fact I didn't see you go all HAHAHA BS WHERE'S SOURCE?!??! When Sol Fury didn't show any source, I guess his SUPER MOD BADGE is truly intimadating for you, and you'll probably agree with Nkelsch when he just said what I said yearsss ago to you, then I'll start a research and see if his Pretender avatar got hypnotic powers.

Well, I'm through with this, we're already going extremely off-topic and to make sure you won't drag me into the argument again I'll use the ignore option.

13. mangaravenprime

mangaravenprime Member

sure sure. Look I don't care about who ever avatar sais what. Hell you can edit what ever you wish in to your avi.

What did strike me is that he, seamed to have a soled point i could go by, not just personal opinion.

In fact your handle is really the only handle I have even recognized on multiple blogs. the first being where you clearly stated your hatred for combiners. Thus- making any point you post an instant personal. didn't help that you childishly continued to change the means of the debate between the two of us and attempted to clame some one else's comment to be your own or any where in the ball park of your blank opinion. also, I said about 4 post ago that our little spat was way off topic. and -you-Shroobmaster- continued it.
    In any case. I'm here to learn more about my fav franchise and not to fight over "who knows more", there's no wrong or right... unless your a liar.. and from first impression.. you are.
    back to topic. No one can be sure if there will be combiners in TFA and thus the point of the topic. I for one think that there's a good chance because of the fan base that has grown with it. but that imo.
    Price of production will all ways effect the production if any of combiner figures.. but just as you have the $100+ master piece figures, there's all ways some one that will and would pay the price to collect them if ever made.

14. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord, Botbot Collector

introduce Long Haul, Hook, Bonecrusher, have them modify Mixmaster and Scrapper, and merge into Devastator, and have them be deluxe.

15. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    The TFA crew said something about the Constructicons not combining, so if we get combiners it's probably going to be a new one/NOT Devastator or Bruticus.

16. girafeswordsman

girafeswordsman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anybody else getting the feeling mangaravenprime is like10?

17. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    Oh he's continuing with the rants? Thought he would stop after I told him he was on my ignore list, well I've seen people that are 22 or something getting really pissed off after losing arguments so IDK the age.

18. salmonman78

salmonman78 That's MR. Magnus to you all...

Well, combiners could be a viable option if done in a different way than the 4+1 route previously done.

Think to Beast Wars, the combiners for each side only had 3 members and yes they kinda looked goofy but it showed a combiner could work with fewer members. I think they could do it the same way with animated, 3 member teams could work, and with the ways TF's have advanced they wouldn't be so goofy/wonky.

19. salmonman78

salmonman78 That's MR. Magnus to you all...

"Delete, accidentally double posted."

20. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Eh, I personally think that they shouldn't include any Gestalt's in Animated unless they could then give each one of them a good amount of characterization, and have them combine only when the really need to. One thing I like about the new Universe line is that they're focusing on the individual character, instead of the whole team. That way they can give us one great toy, instead of 5 or 6 toys that have a combining gimmick forced into the design, thus inhibiting the toy in the end. Personally I think Hasbro has some kind of gestalt in the works for the 25th Ann. line, but they're keeping it a secret till they get it good and ready. That way it's a nice surprise once we do see it.