Customs: How people? How do you do it?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by WO3004, May 26, 2014.

1. WO3004

WO3004 One half of a Duobot

News Credits:
    I am immensely awe struck by some of the customs you guys do, mostly the paintwork and I just don't get it. How can you be so confident enough to buy a figure purely intending to repaint it with the slight possibility of it going wrong? I'd be scared shitless. Can anyone tell me a few basics on repainting figures? Just little bits to start, like Beast Hunters Predaking and Magnus' missiles, what paint can you use on plastic? Will it come off with friction? Will it degrade the plastic? I'm utterly clueless as always.

2. thunder117

thunder117 Magna Defender

Ebay:
  3. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    One thing that might help you to know is that paint isn't permanent. I have rubbing alcohol with my stuff to remove bad paint. I also go back and touch up little mistakes I've made. So patience is your best ally in painting a figure. And if I REALLY turn out a crapper, I soak it in the alcohol, remove all the paint, then start again.

As for rubbing, it's a battle I confess. But with practice and patience you learn where the rub points are on a figure. You can sand them down a little to help rub. You can try thinner coats of paint to help. Basically the rubs happen when the paint is too thick for a specific area. There are also sealers you can use, like floor polish, that will make the paint stronger and resistant to chipping.

My best advice for customizing is to just jump in and try it. I would have absolutely been one of those people who claim I don't have the skill or steady hands or what ever for this. Turns out I was underestimating myself.

4. seanb47

seanb47 I go by SBee's Custom Creations now

Ebay:
    PPE = Practice Patience Experience. It doesn't happen over night. Sanding down plastic on plastic rub areas helps as Ryoku/Rexidus mentioned. Removing the toys previous paint via 90% Isopropyl Alcohol. Gloves during handling so your greasy fingers don't spoil your work and good primer or enamel basecoat. The rest is really up to you and how you prefer your customs to look. I would recommend using hobby paints for the details like Tamiya,Testors,Model Masters or Citadel brands. A 1/16 pin punch for hammering out pins and maybe a Dremel tool.

5. WO3004

WO3004 One half of a Duobot

News Credits:
    Thanks guys all helpful notes. I have no desire to customise my figures just paint up some of the left out details that Hasbro so joyously leave out.

6. AlexG

AlexG Triple Changer

in that case grab your least favorite TF (or go buy a really cheap one at a thrift store or something) and get some model paints and good brushes and go to town!:rock  just take one TF and use it as a practicing piece to test out all the different ways you can paint a figure without any consequences of failure. and while you're at it, read through the tutorials section here on TFW. there are a million helpful tips, tricks, and guides there to get you started.
    I look forward to seeing your work!

7. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If your are really interested in customizing figures. Start small. Work ondetails. The best line for those is the RoTF line. Beautifully molded in detail with very little bringing it out. Start with those, find some junkers from around the net.

8. BuzzingNeon

BuzzingNeon Logic Expert/Tailgunner

Maybe you should practice painting on some scrap plastic? Maybe buy something made of plastic in Dollar Tree and practice painting it up?

9. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

I have doubles, triples sometimes quadruples or more...

It helps that these toys go on sale VERY often.

10. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:

Resign yourself to the fact that you will have a junkyard full of transformers parts. It's going to happen no matter how careful you are. Some projects don't work out, sometimes you lose interest or change your mind, sometimes something will break when you're disassembling it. Buy duplicates or buy cheap figures you don't care about in order to practice disassembly and painting. There's no cheap and easy way to get good, it takes practice, time, and sacrificing more than a few figures. Start with acrylics and start with detail work rather than whole repaints. Acrylics come off easily with alcohol, and minor details are easier practice than doing a whole repaint.

You don't have to do all your shopping at the normal toy outlets either. Look for transformers at Big Lots, Ross, Marshall's, TJ Maxx, Five Below, etc. for older toys that are priced less than retail (are there equivalents to those in the UK?). See if there's a vintage toy store in your area, both of the ones in my area have bins full of loose TF's that they're glad to get rid of cheap. Look for lots on Craigslist. Scout ebay for cheap figures or lots of figures to mess with.

In most cases I will keep a duplicate of something if I'm worried about how the custom will turn out, even Masterpieces. Sealed duplicates can always be sold later if you're successful. If you're not successful, you have parts that can be used for another project or sold to someone who needs parts.

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  11. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Mod

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I'll also add this, since it's the first thing one will encounter going to the Table of Contents: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/tutor...ed-they-had-known-prior-creating-customs.html

It sounds like from this thread once you get past the jitters and do some things, you'll be rockin' and rollin' :) 

12. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Also worth noting, that table of contents is great info for FIXING stuff.

I've broken two figures - the arm off my FoC Sideswipe (more specifically, the ball joint post), and the gear attached to the gatling gun on DotM Leader Ironhide, and... well, here's another one for you, Superquad: I wish I had read the adhesives thread.

Turns out I was using ALL the wrong stuff. My superglue wasn't strong enough, and JB Kwik epoxy sucked for my purposes. Either that, or I wasn't mixing it right. I have a new shopping list now!