How Old Are the G1 Transformers (Relative to Each Other)?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Longitudinalwave, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Longitudinalwave

Longitudinalwave A Big Fan of (Sound/Shock)wave

By this, I mean, which characters would you say are on the older side (like Kup :lol ) and which ones are on the younger side (like Bumblebee)? Compared to their troops, how old are Optimus Prime and Megatron?
    -All G1 continuities apply (comics, cartoons, Dreamwave, IDW, etc).
    -Characters from different mediums can fall in different places in the age range (e.g., Comic Shockwave might not be as old as Cartoon Shockwave relative to the rest of the cast).

Here are my thoughts:

-Kup and Ironhide are obviously amongst the oldest Autobots. Pointblank (the Targetmaster) is also described as an old veteran in his bio, so he's likely up there as well. Alpha Trion is even older. In the Marvel Comics, Emirate Xaaron is really old as well.

-Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime and Bumblebee are just as obviously amongst the youngest.

-Sideswipe and Sunstreaker seem like they're probably on the younger side. Bluestreak's probably not very old either.

-I suspect that Marvel Comics Impactor is on the older side (and conversely, that his successor Springer is on the younger side).

-Brawn, Huffer, and Gears seem like they might be on the older side (due in part to how their voices sound).

-I think of Ratchet as older, but that might be partially because of his portrayals in Animated and Prime.

-Optimus Prime is probably one of the older Autobots, but he's probably not as old relative to most of his troops as Megatron is.

-Jazz is probably among the youngest of the Autobot officers and in the middle of the pack overall. Blaster's in the same boat.

-Omega Supreme is almost certainly on the older side.

-The Dinobots and Aerialbots are extremely young (in the cartoon; in the comics this doesn't apply).

-Megatron, Soundwave, and Shockwave (especially in the cartoon) seem like they'd be amongst the oldest Decepticons. (All three appear in "War Dawn", for example.) In the cartoon, Blitzwing may be on the older side as well (since he semi-remembers the Quintessons).

-Ravage, Laserbeak, and Buzzsaw seem likely to be older as well (especially Ravage in the Marvel Comics).

-Starscream, in contrast, seems likely to be one of the younger Decepticons. Rumble and Frenzy are likely on the younger side as well (not because they're small, but because of the way the act like teenaged punks).

-The Constructicons seem like they might be on the older side (since they were friends with Omega Supreme).

-The Stunticons are very young.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Skyfire98

Skyfire98 You can’t beat the original!

Indeed I do agree..jazz though.. I’m not so sure.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TheUltimateBum

TheUltimateBum Nautica Lover

Well, here's my thoughts regarding my ideal core cast members.

Early old age/late middle age:
    -Smokescreen
    -Siren
    -Nightbeat
    -Drift
    -Tankor
    -Sky-Byte
    -Deluge
    -The Seacons

Middle-age:
    -Rodimus Prime (I personally think that once he gets the Matrix, his age takes a big leap from young adulthood to middle-age, which could add more doubts and feelings of inadequacy)
    -Wheeljack
    -Wreck-Gar
    -Pyra Magna
    -Jumpstream
    -Shockwave
    -Starscream
    -Thunderhoof
    -Knock Out
    -Quake
    -Blitzwing

Young adulthood:
    -Hot Rod
    -Arcee
    -Breakaway
    -Windblade
    -Dustup
    -Runabout and Runamuck

Late teens:
    -Minerva
    -Nautica
    -Daytonus
    -Strongarm
    -Rattrap
    -Stormclash
    -Skyburst

Early teens:
    -Bumblebee
    -Rust Dust

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Longitudinalwave

Longitudinalwave A Big Fan of (Sound/Shock)wave

I could be wrong on Jazz. How old would you say he is?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Skyfire98

Skyfire98 You can’t beat the original!

Hmm maybe a little younger than ironhide.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Going strictly on Sunbow continuity, I automatically consider any two characters who share the same body type to be from the Quintesson product lines, so if any two characters look alike, they predate the war.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

Never really thought about TF ages. I just accept that there are very old TF's (Alpha Trion, Emirate Xaaron, Kup and Ironhide) and some very young ones.

Outside of their actual age, I also think that TF have very much a relative age, just like they have a relative gender: it's part of their personality and not part of some biological element as with us. Thus a TF that acts young could have easilty been around for a long time, but it's just part of their character -- and vice versa. You see this in Beast Wars where Tigatron s younger than Cheetor, yet more mature and adult.

That said, for some TF's it is very clear they must be young, since we saw their creation.

Bluestreak was alive during the outbreak of the war since it was early in the war that his homecity was destroyed and everyone killed (resulting in his PTSD). But how long he had been alive at that time and if that makes him older than the other Autobot cars…. With the exception of Ironhide (and perhaps Ratchet), I've never considered the Autobot cars (including the mini vehicles) to vary in age.

The Aerialbots and the Stunticons are also very young in the Marvel comics, since they were built on Earth and giving life there by Optimus using the matrix. (Protectobots are unknown, but Marvel UK suggests the same applies to the Protectobots and Combaticons.)

Other Transformers created on Earth in the Marvel comics are:
    - Omega Supreme: designed by Grapple
    - Jetfire: designed by Shockwave (retcon from the new comics ignoring) and built by human slave labour; only given life after the Autobots had defeated Shockwave
    - Constructicons: designed by Shockwave (ibid) and built by human slave labour, they were given life through a captured Optimus Prime who was forced to use the creation Matrix.
    - Ultra Magnus: in Marvel UK we learn that sometime after Ark-launch he was built on Cybertron and given life via the Matrix Flame.

Also, in the G2 comics we learn there's also a whole generation of Transformers that came to life somewhere between Ark launch and 1984 (but enough in the past for most not to remember. Although a comment by Kup leading into this revelation, could possibly be interpreted as Hot Rod being of a similar age.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ikkstakk

News Credits:
    It reminds me of a headcanon I had once that characters who "act young" were programmed differently than the typical way. They were brought online "blank," so to speak, or with only basic knowledge preinstalled, and allowed to learn and develop naturally (not unlike human children, coincidentally). I had a whole origin story for Wheelie that explored this idea in more detail, which of course I never had the chance to actually sit down and write.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 XYxInfinity

News Credits:
    Same here. I feel Jazz to be a late 40s human analog. How that translate in Cybertronian is another matter.:lol 

Lambo bros might be like your resident athletic Jocks.

Prime was a Jock of sorts when the War started in War Dawn.

Dinobots? Too many variables concerning how they were created and retcons. Especially that story with Primacron.

Aerialbots are also old. Given they were initial nontransfomable A.I. for cybertronian transports.

Megs,SW and Shockwave fairly mature warmongers. Older than Prime. 50 something human analogs.

Starscream and Jetfire and Soundwave again were your resident egghead/nerds scholars. So I assume mid 30s/early forties human analogs.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Cyberbot8460

Cyberbot8460 Who The Hell Do You Think I Am?

YouTube (Legacy):
    Jazz is said to be Optimus' right hand man, so he's probably about middle aged.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I see these as the younger characters, most of whom I equate to early twenties:

Hot Rod
    Arcee
    Blurr
    Sandstorm
    Skids
    Skram
    Zap
    G1 Sideswipe
    RID Sideswipe
    Armada Sideswipe
    Wedge
    Bluestreak
    Cheetor
    Prime Smokescreen
    Animated Bulkhead
    Animated Twins
    Movie Twins
    Moonracer
    Windblade
    Strongarm
    Roulette
    Bumblebee
    Sideburn
    Surge
    Siren
    Slapdash
    Freeway
    Searchlight
    G1 Chase
    Clocker
    Hot Shot
    Needlenose
    Motorhead
    Slipstream
    Blackjack
    Tailspin
    Freewheeler
    Tote
    Fixit
    Red Hot
    Seawatch
    Sizzle
    Hub Cap
    Swerve
    Rotorstorm
    Ironfist
    Rad
    Tailgate
    Mini-con Sparkplug
    Backstreet
    First Aid
    Air Raid
    Skydive
    Fireflight
    Lightspeed
    Strafe
    Wheelie
    Skyfall
    Rescue Bots Blades
    Glyph
    Flash
    Catilla
    Minerva
    Holi. Not Stake Out.
    Optimus Minor
    Beast Wars Snarl
    Dinobot Slash

I could see certain Seekers being younger.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

That’s an interesting thought but I tend to think of it as being the opposite

I tend to think any two characters that share the same body type to be a product of the war that started in the episode “war dawn”, seeing that both sides started modifying their solders for better fighting abilities it’s Reasonable to think they would have possible had some standard modification programs/designs

13. Ikkstakk

News Credits:
    This thread makes me recognize a significant plot hole: in Five Faces of Darkness, the one Autobot leader tells Rodimus: "Knowing we could never defeat the Decepticons with firepower, we turned to stealth, and invented the art of transforming." So the war had already started before transforming was a thing. He goes on to imply there were many centuries of peace as the Autobots held the Decepticons at bay with their stealth advantage, until the secret got out and the Decepticons built Megatron as the first Transformer of their kind.

But then in War Dawn, we see Dion and others transform. While the 'bots are talking about the Decepticons (and Megatron) as a new thing they've never seen before. Suggesting at that point, the war has not yet begun.

I know they talk about several "Cybertronian wars" sometimes. Can this all be reconciled by saying the Autobots and Decepticons have fought several wars, thousands of years apart, in between which were long periods of peace?

14. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 XYxInfinity

News Credits:
    Yup.

Several wars. If you follow the TV story.

1st against the Quints
    2nd against the military hardware production models aka the ancestors of the Decepticons (Autobots won through transformation)
    3rd against Megs and the Dececepticons

15. ThrustJan

ThrustJan Well-Known Member

I figured that in real human life ,Construcons should be towards from 30's to middle 40's with Scrapper and Long Haul being the oldest and Bonecrusher the youngest maybe the only one in 20's .

For Stunticons all acted as very young men but when limbs appear as late teens or early 20's, Dead End above all,Motormaster could be in early 40's or a strong early 50's.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

I think that’s the only way to take it