How often do you buy used transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Too qik, Oct 7, 2021.

?

How often do you buy used transformers?

1. I'll die before I buy anything used ever.

4.1%
  2. I buy used once in a blue moon and only on the massive figures

4.8%
  3. I buy used sometimes, but rarely

53.1%
  4. I have almost a perfect 50/50 split between buying used and new

21.8%
  5. I actually buy used slightly more often than new

9.5%
  6. I buy used most of the time, rarely buying new

5.4%
  7. I only ever buy used transformers.

1.4%
  1. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This. Costs skyrocket with the age of the release, so unless you buy everything immediately I don't see buying sealed/ "unused" as a maintainable collecting strategy for me. I also trash the boxes so it would be money wasted.

Most of the responses to this thread puzzle me (or maybe "intrigue" is the better word). I can understand the hesitance of buying used as you have no idea of the condition of something you'll receive other than taking the other party to their word, but there are also no firm definitions of "MINT" or gently used, even between online stores. I also never considered the germaphobe aspect but I can at least understand it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I used to buy a lot of used TFs when I was still after out-of-print figures…I’ve completed most of those collections now, though. I haven’t bought many used ones since early 2020…probably less than 4 or 5.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

News Credits:
    Sometimes, but its been a while. I think the last used bot I bought from ebay was CW jet mode Blast Off and I got it only to use a Reprolabels conversion kit on it.

4. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    I use to when bbts did them

5. Robyn The Dragon

Robyn The Dragon Excited for Legacy Sandstorm/SS86 Springer

News Credits:
    I have bought a few used figures, but really like the feeling of opening up a brand new box for the first time. There's something about it that's really satisfying to me.

I also really only buy them if they are in good condition and have all parts/accessories included for a very good price. Some deals are too good to pass up, so I have no problems with buying used. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  6. solid_strider

solid_strider Plastic Crack Junkion

I only started collecting TF when POTP was starting to be clearanced out and Siege was phased in and bought plenty of older CW, TR and even T30 through sales threads here and on Facebook Marketplace or Mercari. I’ve been really lucky and caught some really good deals from some great TFWers!

• Like Like x 1
  7. sikkusushotto

sikkusushotto Well-Known Member

In general, no real preference either way. Good condition is good condition. My childhood collection was of course all new since it was bought for me. My adult collection started out with mostly used figures. Over time I bought more and more new ones. These days I'd say it's more or less an even 50/50 split.

I would argue that with Transformers increasingly becoming an adult collector hobby (due to price, lack of in store availability and so on, clear "kid" lines like Cyberverse), it is much easier nowadays to find good used figures than it was, say, 10 or 15 years ago.

• Like Like x 2
  8. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    I prefer to buy new myself when it comes to current releases. But on older figures, I would not be opposed to buying a pre-owned figure if I can get a pretty good deal. But it would have to be complete (or mostly complete), clean, have no smell like cigarette smoke, and in decent condition.

Last time I bought a used figure though was about 10 years ago when I bought a BM Night Viper from a friend of mine. I don't really look at past figures that much to be honest.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  9. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This thread makes me wonder where the heck some of you see the used stuff that is that disgusting... I've never had anything like that, and so glad I haven't.

I've seen flea market "containers under the table" stuff that was not in the best of shape (junkers) but aside normal dust and such, never anything that would make me worried or sick to touch them... and that's the worst I've seen.

But from such (garage sales, flea markets, ad hoc sellers, online (eBay or other)), I've not had the experience and guess I'll consider myself lucky, as yeah, I can understand that such an experience would be very off-putting.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    toys, like hearts, are unavoidably used.

11. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    I did most of my used buying catching up on early G1 in the mid-1990s. Now it's rare and usually at a toy show where I can get a good look at why I'm buying.

12. Robyn The Dragon

News Credits:
    eBay! Once I got a figure that was so dirty and dusty, that it hid a WHITE stress mark on BLUE plastic. The terrible flip phone picture didn't show the dust on a black figure and I assumed that "Pet Free and Smoke Free Home" meant a clean home and clean item. I was wrong. So wrong.

My next worse one was an item that had bits of chocolate crumbs in the box and on the figure and in 90 degree weather...let's just say that was fun to clean up.

So I learned to always message the eBay seller and make sure the item fits certain criteria and ask for extra pictures! If they can't give me the info, I can't give them the money. Lol

• Like Like x 2
  13. Racer_J

Racer_J Permanently logged out . . .

It doesn't have to be a bad experience with a toy. There are all sorts of foul experiences out there (e.g. you're extremely fortunate if you've never had to deliver/repair something that required entrance into a residence that was gross AF). Personally, I've seen one to many video game controllers (owned and used by extremely hygienic people) that you couldn't pay me to look at much less touch. Stuff inherently gets grimy AF but, like, wipe it down sometime.

There doesn't even have to be a bad experience involved, some things just skeeve people out.

14. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I understand how some things can be bad, trust me, I've seen and dealt with really bad. The worse for "simple objects" is probably keyboards and mice... I've seen some that I didn't want to touch at all, and grabbed my own and plugged it in, it was so bad. And yes, I've seen horrible houses, but still I would consider Transformers that people are selling tends to be in fairly good condition as otherwise, they wouldn't sell I would figure.

Of course some people are pigs like Robyn mentions:
    that have no conscience about it, but in general, this applies to any sort of selling items, people tend to clean them best they can so get the highest price.

I just think it's bad that this happens at all, as most people selling TFs tend to be other collectors that would treat their figures with some amount of pride. From a reseller or a kid selling their toys (or parents) I could see it more, but then I tend to buy from people that give me the impression that they would be selling "clean" toys..

But I'm getting the fell that it's more about just wanting "new" for the reflex of wanting something that's new and untouched, and I get that. I don't mind used at all, but if it's still in package it's has that "better" feel of course, except if I did want to handle it first to check it out.

15. Robyn The Dragon

News Credits:
    My gosh, when I sell something, I make sure it spotless, dust free and wrapped with the utmost care. But some really don't take pride in things like that or want to make certain impressions. Someone sent me my Roadbuster from Canada in a pizza pocket product box...grease stains and all. (I swear to heck, I'm not lying. Lmao) if you're on here Roadbuster seller, just know that I actually found it hilarious and didn't even know you COULD ship a box like that.

I try and keep everything I own in perfect condition and keep my knick* knacks clean. Yes it takes work and yes it's easy to let things collect dust...but like, why sell something dirty for $20 when you could clean it up and sell it for $30, you know? But I already know the answer to that one... :p 

• Like Like x 2
  16. Driskull98

Driskull98 Evil is as evil do.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Tumblr:
    Since I collect G1...I pretty much have to buy used on that front, lol!

For Generations, I only buy used if I missed out on something at retail. I like to have all the accessories and instructions with my figures so I only ever buy used if it has those, leading to me being very picky with stuff.

17. gibdozer

gibdozer Censored

Generally mainline stuff I buy new and MP/3P used, but I have no qualms either way.

18. Girl Pants

Girl Pants Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly, if I'm not buying from a retailer than can do returns/replacement/etc, I'd rather know that toy was opened and confirmed to be complete and working than play roulette with a sealed box. I know dirtbags are out there (both literal and figurative dirtbags), but in about 15 years of ebay I've only ever really gotten one significantly sub par toy - and I think they didn't even know about it. Once I pointed out the state of the toy, they were happy to do a return/refund. I've had sellers send me the wrong thing by accident more often than a secretly-broken or filthy toy.

• Like Like x 2
  19. gibdozer

gibdozer Censored

Agreed on ebay. If you're not buying things that are obvious scams you will usually have a positive experience. I've bought and sold there for nearly 20 years and I can count the problems I've had on one hand.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Wayne EHP

Wayne EHP Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I've bought a few. I try not to though. Bought a grapple used listed as new didn't come that way had the broken peg issue. Was what it was though since I just display mine in bot mode. Chromia was missing her weapon no big deal. Got a Springer and a Skytreads that were fine though.