How much time do you spend with a figure before you decide that it was worth the money?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Smokescreen38, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

News Credits:
    I have found that virtually all of my TR purchases have gotten tons of "fiddle time." I remember pouring over Wave 1 while watching the entire run of Stranger Things (twice) :) . Each and every one of them received enough of my time and gave back enough pleasure that I felt like they were well worth the investment. Blaster in particular has been transformed dozens of times, he has been covered with the Masters guys in every conceivable way and it has been a blast (no pun intended). I paid full retail for that figure and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. IMO, TR figures consistently represent a good ROI for my toy dollars. :) 

On the other hand, I just Transformed MP Ratchet for the second time (back into van mode) in the months since I got it. Yep, it's a really nice figure in a lot of ways but being nearly identical to the comparably pricey MP Ironhide, I feel a lot of regret about spending the money on that item. He has a spot at the back of one of the MP shelves since I reach for that figure less often than the other cars.

So where do you draw the line? Are there figures that you never touch that you feel still represent money well-spent?

2. Jerrymiru

Jerrymiru TF Ninja

The ones still on display and I see them every day when I get ready to go to work and when I get ready to go to bed... yes. They were worth the price.

Now the ones in the box never to be seen again... not so much. (Thinking of you shinny Target exclusive Optimus Prime)

3. Fallout

Fallout no one can see me cry

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    usually after a few dates.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pitt

Pitt Well-Known Member

Depends on the figure, really. Some of them I know right out of the box that it's fantastic (i.e. MP Optimus Primal), while others grow on me over time.

5. atomD21

atomD21 Not made of sterner stuff...

For me, sometimes it's immediate, some times it takes getting used to the transformation and any quirks the figure might have before I decide if it's worth the money or not. Two recent examples are TR Blaster and TR PMOP. Blaster was immediately worth the $45 I paid for him. I was incredibly excited for the fogure, and he did not disappoint! Now PMOP on the other hand, he was cool, and I was glad I got him, but it took about a week before I was really liking him.

6. Mizzinno

Mizzinno Merc With A Mouthplate

News Credits:
    A few hours, to a few years. Depends on the figure.

7. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

I have a few that I still have yet to believe it was worth the money. MP Tracks is an example. I like it, but I don't love it. In retrospect, I wish I'd have just waited for the KO. Then there is MP-10, I knew before I even had it in hand. I love it. And for me, with Ironhide, I hesitantly bought it and it took me about 2 minutes to realize I love it. But, I'm still not convinced it was worth the money. Again, I wish I knew the KO was coming, but that could evidence itself to be a total piece of junk too. Wheeljack, oh my beautiful Wheeljack. I knew upon transformation, he was so worth every penny. And he still grows on me.

8. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Insert Clever Title Here

News Credits:
    Almost immediately for me. Some toys can definitely grow on me (or the opposite) over time but it's that first transformation and inspection that really makes me form an opinion.

9. GohanX

GohanX Well-Known Member

Usually it's after I've taken it out of the package and transformed it a few times. I don't collect a whole lot though, and I rarely regret a purchase. Like yesterday I opened the boxes I just got for Combiner Wars Skywarp and Starscream, which look much nicer in hand than in pictures, and I knew I loved my (discounted) purchase.

For the most part, I only really regret things when I don't do my research and find out that a figure is terrible. Sometimes years later I may regret something just because a better version of a figure comes out, but you can't predict that ahead of time. When the Generations line first came out I bought nearly everything, and it was cool at the time but here in 2016 I don't really care for a lot of the figures. Cyclonus (the first Generations figure I bought) might be the only one I still think is really cool.

10. konrathink

konrathink Jared Magnus

That's why I stopped and sold off my MP's. I wasn't "playing" with them at all. They look great and they are amazing, but they weren't worth it to me. I found myself playing with Generations, Combiners, Animated and Movie stuff more. Hell, I mess with my Classics Legends (old legends size) more than anything.

To you question, I don't need to spend a certain amount of time with a figure to make it worth the money. For me I think it's the enjoyment of the transformation, or the "trick" that it might do or the overall feel of the figure will stick with me and make it worthwhile for me. WeiJiang M01 Commander was instantly worth it once I got it in hand. Legends Fix-it was worth it instantly. Titans Return (the whole damn line) has been worth it to me as I love the interactivity with the little bot and the body / vehicle.

• Like Like x 1
  11. WheelWave140

WheelWave140 Hate's not cool, dudes!

News Credits:
    It's the first five seconds for me. And I very rarely don't like a figure. Any remorse I might have usually comes not from the fact that the figure wasn't worth the money, but more from the fact that I hate spending money in general.

12. GiganGoji

GiganGoji Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm the same way. I had Titans Return Powermaster Optimus Prime for a few weeks before I sold him, and knew almost immediately after taking him out of the package that I'd end up selling him. I have no regrets on getting rid of him.
    Other figures, like Titans Return Hardhead, I was pleasantly surprised once I took him out of the package, and have kept that enthusiasm ever since.

13. EarthGBilly

EarthGBilly Sucker for a GERWALK Mode

Yeah, almost instantly.

Mind you, every once in a great while, a figure will surprise me when I come back to it, but usually the first transformation tells me everything I need to know. Instant regret or instant joy sets in, and the die is cast.

14. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    About 5 seconds at the till? And yet sometimes I'll still buy it even if I think it's not worth it. Because y'know. I'm a mug.

15. unpunk

unpunk Well-Known Member

I don't currently have the room to display much of my stuff, but I open everything when I get it and fiddle around with it for a couple of days. After that, it's back in the box.

I've found that the newer deluxe figures (CW + TR especially) are a blast to play around with, while I spend less time with new MP's. I'm also A LOT more careful with my MP figures than anything else, and that kind of ruins the fun of it. They look incredible, the transformations are great and challenging, but they're just too delicate in my eyes.

Deluxe figures are almost always fun right out of the package. I don't need to worry about chipping paint during transformation, or parts permanently popping off. I can't wait to finish up the TR line and see what's next. The funny thing is, I really didn't like the idea of headmasters when I was a kid. It just seemed stupid to me. I was also getting out of toys in favor of other things (growing up, or whatever), but I really latched onto the characters after watching the JP Headmasters series. Terrible animation, but a fun storyline. Not as rushed as the US season 4.

16. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

If I don't think I'll be 100% happy with something after looking at decent pics I don't buy it.

The exceptions to that when I bought something on impulse didn't work out.