How many strikes before you're out?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MpCollector81, Nov 24, 2015.

1. MpCollector81

MpCollector81 Banned

So I started renting my spare room to a guy about a month ago. I had known him from a local bar and he seemed like a decent guy, I met his girlfriend, his mom, and we warmed up to one another quickly, and really seemed to get along. I felt him out for a couple weeks before saying lets give it a go.

Within the first week of him living here, I noticed he liked to drink, to the point of being a staggering mess. I played it by ear because he was new in my place, and everyone likes to drink from time to time. The night that he came home, barely able to stand, and did a back flip over my couch, I wasn't impressed, but he didn't break anything so I let it slide. In the morning I mentioned that he was too drunk, and things settled for about 2 weeks. He'd come home, be polite and go to bed fairly quickly.

Tonight I came home with a friend to watch a movie, and he was entertaining a friend. As they drank, my roomie got a little too tipsy, and his friend decided to be safe and go home, declining any more alcohol. He decided that my movie choice wasn't the best, and had a little tantrum, asking that we watch something else... and that quickly turned into demanding. He really doesn't seem to take the word no very well. His friend quickly left. When he realized he wasn't getting to choose a movie, he started making food in the kitchen before bed. He left a hot grill on, and forgot it. I told him that its not cool to leave a grill unattended and he apologized, but quickly went right back to bitching about the movie choice. Then after flopping around in my kitchen, sliding chairs slamming containers to make noise, I told him to chill out and go to bed. It was so immature and obnoxious, my movie buddy wanted to slap the shit out of him, and I wouldn't have blamed her for it.

Tomorrow I'm having a serious sit down with him. In the most objective way that I can, I'm going to say he was a complete juvenile a-hole last night, and no one appreciated anything he did. My previous room mate was the coolest guy on the planet and we had an amazing year together. It was nothing short of harmonious and I've been very selective with room mates since he left the country for a better job and warmer weather. How selfish! Heh.

So at present count I feel we're at 2 strikes. Would it be unfair to draw a line and basically say, one more strike and you're out?

2. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    No, not unfair at all. Obviously alcohol turns your roomie into another person, something that his friend seems to recognise as well.

What film was it?

3. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero

Ebay:
    No that's more than fair. I'd have been done after the second incident.

4. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

The drunken couch flip, tantrum, and grill left on would be enough for me.

This must be known...

5. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    Absolutely... Not even sure if I'd even give him a chance at a third and final strike: who knows the damage, hassle or annoyance he'll cause the next time. Some consideration for the fact he's sharing a house with you is the least you should be expecting from him.

Question remains... what movie were you watching?

6. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Live and learn.

Next time you're looking for a roommate, maybe don't start with the locals down at the bar.

Sounds like you've been nothing but reasonable with the guy.

7. MpCollector81

MpCollector81 Banned

Not that it matters, but it was the Masters of The Universe movie. He seems to loathe anything that isn't a though provoking documentary. Which is fine sometimes, I love documentaries, however there seems to be a sense of entitlement when it comes to having a say in any movie night.

Yeah, we're having a talk today.

8. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. Moderator

News Credits:
    You are in the right, I'm on your side here ok, but, ok, just in his defense for 1 second, Masters of The Universe isn't something you spring on someone. You have to prepare mentally in advance to watch that...film.

9. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

So, in short - the guy can't control his drinking and has mood swings when drunk?
    You're very generous giving him a last chance, but don't expect wonders.

10. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    Should have made him watch Twilight.

11. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    You should credit him a strike for watching that abomination. I'd probably be a bitch about it too.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  12. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

I would have thrown him out after the second time he came home drunk and out of... Wait! You made him watch Masters of the Universe?!? That movie will drive you to drink. :p 

13. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    That was my thought too. "I met my roommate at the bar. He turns out to be an annoying drunk. Who could have seen that coming?"

Gotta agree here. I'd probably give him a mulligan on that. Not on the other stuff though.

14. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

Some people can go to a bar and not be a raging drunk.
    Him and his friend wanted to a watch a movie and the third wheel moaned about the choice? Regardless of the film he sounds like he's a dickhead who doesn't know his limit.

Just have a calm word and tell him you don't like it, and if it keeps happening it will be a problem.

15. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

Oh man, that would have made me flip over the couch sober. Yeah, now I think he wants you to throw him out.

:p 

16. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There is YOUR first strike right there. You rented to a guy in a bar then were surprised when he got drunk........hmmmm

Most drunks don't take no for an answer AND his friend quickly leaving should have been another red flag high up in the air. Strike two for you, I'm sorry my friend.

DANGER! DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER! Yah leaving hot grills on isn't the safest of bets here. BUT when you told him that wasn't cool HOW did you tell him and be honest were you luck dude that's not cool please don't do that again or were you more like DUDE WHAT THE FUCK! You could have burned down all of our shit then where am I going to go and find these rare Transformers!........my guess would be the latter one.

Again, HOW are you going to tell him this? Drunks are unpredictable and putting it to him nicely will have its benefits by not having him blow up in turn but the seriousness of your message may also not get across. However if you tell him in cursing and yelling your message will definitely get across but you run the risk of this blowing up into a REALLY big argument and possibly it getting physical. PLUS you run the risk (especially if you evict him) of him leaving the room in a shit state with damages and everything else and probably did it out of spite.

No not at all but I have a few questions and you may or may not be aware of.
    First of all I am assuming this is a house you live in? Do you rent this house or do you own it?
    If you rent this house do you have permission from the landlord to be renting out the spare room? If not you are in heaps of trouble if so you may still be in heaps of trouble especially if you leaves the room in a shit state as I mentioned above, and YOU would be responsible for all of the damages because YOU sublet the room.
    NOW if you own the house and rented the room you are officially a landlord. That also means your new tenant has rights too and you may have some problems trying to get rid of him. When you evict someone you have to give them so much notice, have them served, and the lease and rental papers (which I hope you did because if you didn't your tenant has the upper hand)
    He can start squatting or have squatters rights then you are in real trouble.
    But look not meaning to be rude here but you made some boo-boo's in all this too. Before you rented to him did you check his credit (as most landlords do), references, past landlords, the reason why he needs a place to live (what happened to the place he was living in ?)
    You rented your room out to a "friend" at least you met his family and considered him a friend enough to trust him with your room and you should never rent to a friend. What if this eviction all goes south? You probably can't go back to the bar you both frequent because it will be a fight everytime that you do.........see?
    Even if you call him a stranger you rented out to a person in a bar. I'm not saying people in bars are bad people or anything but if he frequents the bar there is a POSSIBILITY he could drink and drink and drink, so really don't be shocked when he ends up drunk living with you and acts like a drunk (temper tantrums, not taking no for an answer, etc) when he is drunk.

So all I'm saying is be prepared for a fight. Let me know about whether you rent or own the house you live in and whether or not you did any of these rental and lease agreements with your new tenant. I have a feeling I know the answer and I'm afraid you are in some trouble.

17. *Deathblade

*Deathblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I sent you a PM. OH, and please have a 3rd party present when you confront him.

18. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator

News Credits:
    MotU is awesome. Y'all outta your minds.

19. ParaChomp

ParaChomp I am what I am

Film him next time when he's drunk. Show the video when he's sober.

20. MpCollector81

MpCollector81 Banned

I appreciate all your feedback. Not everyone that hangs out at bars is a raging drunk. I worked in a bar for nearly a decade and was never irresponsible. Most of my friends are also responsible when drinking. I guess the old adage is true, you don't know someone until you live with them. He worked at the bar.

As for the questions that have come up. I'm the home owner and I'm not a complete idiot. I felt him out for a couple weeks, had a formal interview, and told him everything that I expect out of a room mate/tenant. I signed a lease with him (more a formality) and included a section that states any disruption in the home breaches the agreement and he's out. From a legal stand point I can kick him out tomorrow.

I'm not concerned about a fight of any kind. There's no threat there. After having the conversation, his apology did seem a little disingenuous, and I don't think I hit home the point of how serious leaving the grill on was... So I think the next time I pop into this thread, I'll be in the market for a new room mate. Thanks for listening.