How many first shots are typically made?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by hulk23869, Mar 27, 2014.

1. hulk23869

hulk23869 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about buying a first shot transformer toy, but just wondering how many of these are made and if they're really actually rare and worth the asking price (in the thousands).

2. Ras

Ras Ras Ras Ras Ras Ras

It really depends on the piece in question. There is no definitive number on record, as most true first shots, or early "engineering pilots" will be altered for a variety of reasons. From mould defects, to safety changes. Without knowing the true number of any given toy, I personally have seen maybe 2 or 3 max. of the same run. If they are hand painted or have hand made decals, they will be different yet again.

Pre-TF and G1 first shots will definitely command higher prices. That's where the "gold" is at. They're an awesome addition to any pre-production collector and from personal experience, definitely worth it if you value the history of said toy. Modern pieces most-certainly won't command high prices, unless they're unproduced/unreleased.

It's hard to pinpoint, so I hope this sheds a little more light. May I ask which piece you are considering?

Enjoy the purchase if you make it!

Ras

3. hulk23869

4. Ras

Ras Ras Ras Ras Ras Ras

My pleasure. Honestly? This is extremely over-priced in my opinion. Also, this is not actually a first shot.

The true meaning of a first shot is the very first incarnation of a toy as produced by a steel mould. The subsequent stage after a hardcopy. Don't let the non-production colours fool you. This piece has copyrights, which would not be present at this stage of production as stated.

As nice as it looks, it's probably worth about $350-$400 tops. The AFA status increases the price by market standards, though while admired by many; really is a hindrance to loose pieces. Especially pre-production items, as they can not be examined to the fullest extent to which they are deserving. That's the fun part!

• Like Like x 1
  5. hulk23869

Ahhhhh okay, thank you very much, you just saved me a whole lot of money! I'm pretty new to collecting, so I don't know all that much!

6. Ras

Ras Ras Ras Ras Ras Ras

No problem!

It's still a nice piece and don't get me wrong, not common. It is however misrepresented. If it's something that you really want, either making an offer or waiting to see if it comes down in price wouldn't be the worst thing you could do. It'll certainly look nice on display! As it stands though, definitely over-priced in my opinion.

7. hulk23869

I'll keep it on my watch list and see if it goes down, maybe contact the buyer and ask for a more appropriate price!

8. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    Really someone AFAed a first/test shot? Pointless in my opinion as it cannot add any value by making i rare than it already is.

That said a fool and his money.

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    That AFA'd one hurts to look at. Trapped forever, mistransformed and in an ugly pose.

10. puma

puma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Open it. I'm looking at an afa'd toy on the auction block that if I can get at the right price, I'll be taking a hammer to the plastic case.

11. harveydent

harveydent Unknown Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Would people have seizures if you posted that at the AFA thread?