How many does Hasbro need a child to buy?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Nightrain, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    This is something I wonder about once in a while. Like, out of the 13 deluxes released this year for TF Prime, how many does Hasbro need each child to have to be profitable? Bumblebee and maybe 2 or 3 others? Or do they really expect everyone to "collect them all"?

2. Cornholiocon

Cornholiocon Up the irons!

Good question but Hasbro keeps its manufacturing costs and production numbers a closely guarded secret.

3. Atomatron

Atomatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:

4. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    The numbers I think are actually pretty staggering in the US alone. I could probably clean out maybe 100 deluxes within three miles of me hitting target, walmart, tjmax, kmart, and Toys R us.

Just thinking of that on a city by city, retailer by distributor basis. Its a lot of units for the whole US like Three Hundred Thousand Fall of Cybertron deluxe Optimus Primes possibly.

As for what they need to sell, there are threads for the hasbro quarterly reports and things. They haven't been doing to well with action figures this year and I think they may have overestimated some media impact being as hard hitting as the movies pull in sales.

Man I would like a better toy economy. 2012 has been a really bad gut shot for a lot of us. Not that there aren't still things to enjoy about the line at retail. It's just at 14.99 for a deluxe that had to be engineered with lot less parts and pin/screw metal than a toy from just last year which cost much less; So it looks bleak.

If more movies can pull in the funding and if a economic global supply crisis can be managed for plastic and metal materials. Maybe we can see Bigger over engineered deluxes return properly into the 14.99 pricepoint.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  5. cliffjumperftw1

cliffjumperftw1 I have no idea what I'm doing.

over 9000!!!!!!!

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Hopefully on a regular basis.

Hasbro really should cut down on mass production and more on variety.

7. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think Hasbro expects each child to have at least five Bumblebees. It's the only explanation.

8. dwong1207

dwong1207 Well-Known Member

That's an interesting question. I'm wondering if you're a collector. If Hasbro keeps going to TF conventions and they see a bunch of adults eagerly asking questions and getting excited over what's coming out, you would hope they figure out that there are a lot of adult collectors and start catering to them. But the brain trust at Hasbro obviously has no clue and can't figure out how to increase their profit without raising prices. Doesn't take a genius to know who to market to.

9. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    Were you at The Hasbro Panel at Botcon 2008?, they ARE Listening to the fans!

10. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

Hasbro only requires that a child buy one. One figure is profitable in terms of product costs per product. If you mean, how many units does Hasbro intend for a child to obtain? The answer is a lifetime worth. Hasbro, like many current companies, focuses on maintaining a customer for life. So when you buy a 15 dollar item, and if you are satisfied, statistics have shown that you will likely continue to buy from that same company for the rest of your life, or a good portion of it. Hasbro doesn't need a set amount of products in your possession, they need you to be a satisfied customer, and to relay that satisfaction to other people.

One unsatisfied customer statistically tells upwards of around 15 people of their dissatisfaction. That's 15 potential life long customers lost due to one product malfunction that was not resolved properly.

11. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    Um, dude, seriously:
    Classics, Universe, Generations, Reveal the Shield, Reissues, Masterpieces

Not ONE of those lines needed to exist. But they do because Hasbro sees a value in catering to the adult collector TO AN EXTENT. But collectors have NEVER proven capable of sustaining a mass retail toyline, so those products are made with an eye to kids as well.

12. yummehcheese

yummehcheese Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that collectors make up 20-30% of TF sales. Its not enough to completely focus entire lines on, but its enough to take into consideration. Hasbro really NEEDS children to survive.
    But even with collector oriented toys like Masterpieces, Hasbro will still try to sell as many as they can to kids, hence see through packages, lower price points compared to Takara, etc etc.

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I really like these answers, especially VictoryLeo's. Also, I think it's important to take into account that Hasbro switched to a "global" focus with the TRANSFORMERS brand around the Cybertron era "officially" (as in a very deliberate, systematic focus). The new "gamification" focus is important to this brand as well.

14. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

there's also the fact that children might see G1 on the Hub and want those classic toys. The Star Wars trilogy was made way before I way born but I saw it in middle school on FOX.

15. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They technically don't need a child to buy any.

If they're on store shelves, then the retailers have already paid up and Hasbro's already counting their profits.

The issue comes up later when Hasbro wants repeat business, and their product isn't moving at all.

16. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Terrorcon King

Except that most of the toys mentioned were released before The Hub was airing G1.

But now, that may be true for any future releases of the 'Classic' aesthetic.