How long until this "brand unification" phase ends?

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by BB127, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Michael Payton

Michael Payton Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hasbro is in a rough spot financially. Action figure sales are down apart from a few brands. They are still trying to build their media brand to either be big enough to make up for toy sales losses or to be big enough for a media company to buy/merge with them.

Until things change, they're going to be very conservative with Transformers, since it's a brand they own and they are still making money on. Hense G1 everywhere. It's sales are rising as a result, so they're happy with the current approach.

• Like Like x 2
  2. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    I've said it before, I'll say it again. Transformers has hit that "iconic" status where you have a certain look that immediately pops into your head when said media is brought up. It's like Batman. How many revamps has Batman had? How many people still picture the 70's style Batman as Batman? Superman? Same thing. Spider-Man, X-Men, Captain America, Green Lantern, the list goes on. The SECOND something hits that sort of iconic status, you get your hands tied by that imagery. The X-Men movies worked their way back to classic X-Men costumes, for instance.

Brand Unification is solely in existence to keep money from being flushed down the toilet by taking that iconic image and changing it too far from recognition.

• Like Like x 4
  3. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    My big issue with this whole unification thing is not because it's promoting G1 but rather that we're now at a point where Hasbro should've started to cater to the non G1 fans with the respective series they grew up with in some manner or another but they're instead just solely catering to the G1 fanbase and largely ignoring the rest of the TF fans at least if not outright fully pretending they don't exist which is incredibly frustrating to those who want to see their series get the same treatment the G1 fanbase is getting right now. I understand Hasbro's trying to make new plans to keep afloat and go to a different direction but what it feels like what they're doing is trading in one extreme for another extreme. I also understand that G1 is still the series that sells the most right now but there's going to be a time where even that's going to run it's course so Hasbro's risking stagnation because at this point a few like myself are starting to get burnt out from the G1 designs constantly being made.

I know some people will say "But Hasbro's trying to keep the characters reconizable and keep the iconic imagery!" Sure it's iconic to those who grew up with G1 and love it but not so much for the rest because for some people some of those different versions of those characters are the ones THEY remember and not the original G1 versions. For example the Soundwave they grew up with will be the one from Prime not G1 and for others the Jetfire they'd grew up with would be the Armada version and not the G1 version. That's why I'm excited about the possibility of a BW movie coming in the future along with seeing things like POTP Optimal Optimus and Siege Cybertron Leader Optimus because if those are indeed signs of the brand eventually moving on to the non G1 stuff then I would feel better about the G1 trend right now.

• Like Like x 2
  4. BB127

BB127 Active Member

News Credits:
    I completely agree with you. There's so much more to the brand than just one specific series- those other series are pretty much being ignored. I'm really glad we've been getting some bones like Aramada Megatron, Cybertron Optimus Prime, and Optimus Primal, but those are some of the only non G1 Generations figures. Generations has been really more or less all about G1.

Classics first came out in 2006, twenty two years after G1.

It's been twenty three years since Beast Wars.

• Like Like x 2
  5. SaberPrime

SaberPrime The first Decepticon the Fallen Megatronus Prime

1. What does any of this have to do with brand unification? That technically seems to have already ended since Cyberverse is not set in the Aligned continuity that was never really much of a continuity to begin with.

2. I don't think anyone is calling Cyberverse a success. I like the cartoon so far and I want to see more but I also understand why others don't like it. I wouldn't really call series successful just because I like it.

3. I like different takes on characters and I think this series still does that. It doesn't need to be so different that I can't even recognize the characters and I typically hate it when they do that. A new take on a character should be both familiar and new. If it's nothing like the character it's based on it's not a new take on a character it's just a totally different character... which can be OK if they're actually presented as new characters instead of just new versions of existing characters.

6. BB127

BB127 Active Member

News Credits:
    To my knowledge, it seems like others who have posted here have the same understanding that brand unification isn't aligned- it's the new push for all series to reflect G1. Movies, cartoon, and Generations.
    There's no real clear definition from Hasbro, so I don't know what they're really going for, from an official perspective.
    I respect your opinion on Cyberverse because I love series that get alot of flack- it's all a personal opinion. My personal opinion is that Cyberverse is doing some things in terms of writing for some of their characters to be unique like Grimlock, but others not so much. The problem for me is that when the designs are pure G1 and for me alot of the bland/little characterization makes it feel superficial, just to be here to be like G1.

7. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's exactly what it is. I'm not sure who or what gave anyone the idea that the brand unification was anything else, but that's not what it is. It is indeed Hasbro and Takara Tomy working together top to bottom, across the board on all products. Which is part of the reason why the MPs are being released over here starting with BW Megatron and why both the Studio Series and Siege: War For Cybertron lines are dual branded with both company logos on their boxes.

It has nothing to do with G1 vs other eras, it has only to do with uniting the two companies as one front and producing the same products.

I'm not sure how this all got so twisted. I think people are projecting their unhappiness onto a situation that doesn't support it.

• Like Like x 3
  8. BB127

BB127 Active Member

News Credits:
    Stuff I've read prior to posting the thread have given me the interpretation that it's more or less keeping G1 vibe with all of the products- seems like I'm not the only one to have that interpretation. Sorry if I'm using the term incorrectly.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TFXProtector

News Credits:
    The problem is, people get one thought in their heads, word vomit it out and then it takes on like a virus that spreads from person to person.

Until Hasbro comes forward and says "We're going G1-centric" you can't listen to those who say such a thing. Studio Series is definitive proof that they're not sticking with G1. Siege Galaxy Force Optimus Prime is proof of that, too. Most of Siege is a line filler for those gap figures like Cog and Flywheels, plus homages to RID, the Unicron trilogy, etc. Of course, they're going to cash in on G1 nostalgia whenever possible, but the brand unification is about the two companies working together on the toys, period, not the content until they say so.

Takara is still allowed to make regional exclusives such as Big Powered for their Legends line and the Leader Class Evasion Optimus from a few months back. Hasbro's more than likely going to pass on those, but they'd be welcome to bring 'em to the States if they so choose. The mainline toys, though, that's their bread and butter, so they want Takara Tomy on the same page. It would suck to compete against your own partner, which is what Hasbro was doing for years and years. People would skip Hasbro's versions of CW and TR because Takara's was more G1 accurate in terms of color and molding.

Now? They're the same across the board, packages too. Only a sticker in Japanese denotes any difference.

10. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Ding dong THE BAYVERSE IS DEAD!

I think it's less what people are actually saying and more people seeing Hasbro pay lip service to things they don't want in the current fanbase makeup.

I mean, movie fans should be over the moon Hasbro even bothered with Studio Series, effectively Generations for Bayformers, and yet how many of them whine about the design shift in Bumblebee flavoring more 80s solid-body designs?

It's funny but a lot of the hate toward brand unification seems less about not getting more attention to anything beyond G1 (in which the Car Robots 2000 fans beat everybody for being snubbed), and more "this stuff isnt also movie despite Studio Series because the movies currently aren't the focus at this exact second and Bumblebee was ruined by overly 80s designs".

Which is funny to me considering how non-movie fans have had to put up with this for 11 years and were not nearly as whiny.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Yeah, just think about it. Bayverse gets a dedicated Generations subline. When was the last time BW or UT got anything close?

• Like Like x 2
  12. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nah, that's retarded. We had people complaining about increasingly g1-ner all the way back when we saw Classics Roadbuster and Whirl being quite literally "the G1 guys with knees" and after people reported hearing the new brand manager John Warden talking to people in the convention about how Beast Wars was lame and "the dark age of transformers" for him.

You will fail horribly to try and spin this into a FUCKIN' BAYFORMERS FANS HATING THE BRAND thing. People wanting new takes on old ideas and people wanting things to not look like outdated 80s animation models have existed for longer than The Last Knight flopped. It's not Bay fanboyism to say "It's a shame Siege Sideswipe is so slavishly g1-ish to the point that his shoulder is a featureless cube".

Furthermore the main cartoon of the brand right now is literally "we're reusing the Aligned brand bible AGAIN but with random details aped from a 80s cartoon and comics you read just last year", so you will excuse people for being worried about the lack of creativity the brand is showing right now.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BB127

BB127 Active Member

News Credits:
    My purpose in making this thread has nothing to do with the movie toys. I never mentioned it in the opening post, at all. I love the movies and I'm proud to say so- I also love Armada, Energon, Cybertron, Animated, Prime, Beast Wars, Beast Machines, Robots in Disguise 2001 and Robots in Disguise 2015, Prime, and yes, G1.

My entire point being- all of the new items being pushed are G1- there really isn't anything about the series that makes it unique, design wise. In addition to the movies now using G1 designs, and Generations being G1 focused- we don't have any current lines that are doing anything new in terms of designs/creativity in terms of newer designs. Don't get me wrong, the new movie designs are cool. But, that doesn't change how I feel about Cyberverse.

Studio Series is great, but that really doesn't have anything to do with the creativity of the mainline cartoon series.

We don't have anything that's continuing to push the creativity of characters past G1 right now.

14. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee I must be some kind of nut...

It'll continue until it stops being profitable. Personally, my opinion on it is mixed. On the one hand, we're getting designs in the movies that actually resemble the characters they're based on, with a few taking ideas from non-G1 series (Bumblebee is still very much his Movie design, and Shatter and Dropkick are their own designs/characters), but on the other hand, I won't have much reason to collect the new toyline when the characters all look the same as toys I already have (Cyberverse's gimmick-compromised Warriors isn't the only reason I'm skipping out on most of the line).

Personally, I'd like future Transformers series to use designs that are recognizably Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, etc., but doing their own thing, like Prime or the Unicron Trilogy. Take inspiration from the originals, but take them in an entirely new direction that's all your own. I like the designs of Movie Bumblebee, IDW Whirl, and Prime Starscream, for being unique and full of character while also being unmistakably Bumblebee, Whirl, and Starscream.

15. TFXProtector

News Credits:
    *facepalms* It's incredible. It's like no one actually reads. I need to see some verified sources that this Brand Unification is about the CONTENT rather than the products themselves. Everyone keeps going on and on about G1 vs BW, etc when it's been clearly stated from the beginning that they're showing a united front on products and how they're produced. The how, not the who!

They have UNIFIED packaging, UNIFIED designs and decos, UNIFIED retailers. That's it! Period! That's why they all have both Hasbro and Takara Tomy labeling on their packaging and are exactly the same figures inside and out of the box. PERIOD. The only thing that changes is a Japanese language sticker on the packaging and possibly the instructions. That's it! That's all the brand unification is.

If people are going to continue down this path, then please, please, please provide me proof and sources of the info in which it says the unification is more about G1 vs BW and other eras and not about them selling the same product so they don't compete against each other. If you're going to state it, back it up.

They're supposed to be partners, but Takara Tomy has been doing their own thing for years with Legends and MP and Hasbro's been picking up the tab for the rest of the world to get these toys and people have been shunning them so they can go with TT over H. Hasbro was losing sales. Now, Takara Tomy and Hasbro are working together across the board, selling the same toy on one production run, one packaging run and they both input how big they are, how much plastic is used, how they look, how they're designed and manufactured. That has NOTHING to do with the who and series, it has to do with their business, PERIOD.

Takara Tomy, I'm guessing, only produced Big Powered because he's a Takara Tomy Mall exclusive and it's a Japanese only OVA that most of the world hasn't seen, plus they started this whole thing all those years ago, so they get some exclusive perks, I'd think. Hasbro has the chance to import them over here if they're willing to eat the cost and actually put it on the shelves.

I'm just so dumbfounded that people keep saying this stuff without proof. And all along they drag it out into some big vs match. Ugh. Proof or stop it.

16. G1Prowl

News Credits:
    There's basically two things getting discussed and mixed up here: brand unification and the Evergreen concept.

Cyberverse is the result of the Evergreen concept, and I'd wager that the G1 appearances in Bumblebee are a direct response to it as well.

Basically, though, it is a chance for the diehard fans of the OTHER series' that HasTak has produced to rail that they haven't gotten a CHUG version of Ramulus, Gas Skunk, or Crumplezone.

• Like Like x 1
  17. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I disagree. Personally the brand unification meaning we just got a new cartoon where the visual inspiration is so barren that some characters just look like 80s model drawn with funky proportions and the first Voyager Megatron in years that isnt fucked up with gimmicks has to be an aesthetical barf to match a 80s cartoons instead of the various excellent modernized designs he's gotten lately bothers me much more than not getting CHUG toys of newer characters.

18. G1Prowl

News Credits:

Okay, do you remember when the first X-Men movie came out, and literally EVERY version of the X-Men portrayed anywhere had to ape the black leather designs? That was the Evergreen concept in action. It basically keeps a company from competing with itself as far as IP goes.

Brand unification applies to companies that share production in different regions. Think back to ANY Hasbro toyline and its Takara counterpart. MASSIVE difference in packaging alone, and sometimes even in the decos done. Then you look at the Korean, Central and South American companies licensed to use molds for their regions, and it gets even worse. Look up Antex Minibots.

Two things are getting conflated here, and the sad thing is your comment conflating the two came RIGHT AFTER I posted an example of how those two things are different.

19. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know that, I'm just saying that personally don't feel bothered that we're ignoring BW or Armada characters or whatever, as much as I'm sad we're losing the kind of design variety we had 6 years ago thanks to this.

20. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    It will end when it stops being profitable :p