How Long Do Your Transformers Sit In Captivity?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by thenatureboywoo, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

Some TFs I intentionally keep in "quarantine" because I found and bought one that has fewer paint flaws than most of that particular toy, but is still not perfect. This gives me the chance to continue looking for a fluke toy with flawless paint and buy it and then return the first one.

Other than that, unopened TFs build up depending on whether I want to take the time to properly put it, the packaging, and the instructions away. This became harder as my shelves and plastic Sterilite drawers filled up. I'm on the cusp of a vast reorganization right now, more shelves have become available and more space for the plastic drawers. However it's a monumental undertaking, and I haven't opened a Transformer or any other toy in several months. Actually, it may go all the way back to the beginning of the year.

2. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

How long do YOU want to be kept in a plastic box?

3. TFcollecterguy

TFcollecterguy Well-Known Member

Wait to open them? WTF are you talking about? lol Usually as soon as I get home. Unless there's something more important to attend to. Like someone dieing.

4. snkeyes069

snkeyes069 Legend in his own mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Forever...for the most part.

I do open Alternators, Alternity, Japanese Masterpiece, and I just opened 4 of the 21 "Double Your Action" ROTF Deluxes I just received.

5. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Really. How do you know the paint is PERFECT until you open it up. What if the outside has immaculate paint but, the robot looks like it was painted by a 2-year-old?

6. lilgreenlude93

lilgreenlude93 Well-Known Member

I still have all of my Animated Cons and a fair amount of ROTF I have yet to open up, if that tells you anything.

7. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Today saw a momentous occasion. Driven by fears born of that other thread around here about the batteries in electronic figures eventually corroding and damaging them, I, just moments ago, opened my MISB RiD Air Attack Optimus Primal that I bought new off the shelf about, oh, must be eight years ago now.

And the batteries were fine! :thumb 

And y'know, I listened hard for the sound of angels weeping as I opened him but I didn't hear anything. I guess they don't care about MISB toys either.

8. ectoneon

ectoneon Well-Known Member

Lol- this! I usually get home, sit down, read the bio and tech specs, then the packaging goes right into the garbage. It's all about the puzzle for me. They joy you get when figuring out a transformation for the first time.

9. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When I get them at the store sometimes I have my girlfriend(doesn't have a dl) drive back home. If it's a package and I gets there while im at work there have been times that i've had an "emergency" at home. I have a problem.

10. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    About 3 days, once I get through the line at Wal Mart, I open that sumbitch.

11. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Really depends and many factors for me. I just sat down and thought about this and I have a system of doing it that I was unconsciously aware of.

Scout-Deluxes:
    -Make it Home (10%)
    -Open in car (90%)
    Depends on how much of a rush I am in and sometimes the character and how badly I was hunting for this figure.

Voyagers
    ========
    -Make it home (80%)
    -Open in Car (20%)
    Again depends on how much of a rush, but mostly I wait till I get home due to me not wanting to deal with twist ties and possibly loss of a piece.

Leaders-Supremes
    ==============
    -Make it home (100%)
    -Open in car (0%)
    I could have all the time in the world but not the patience to sit in a car and even remotely enjoy opening a big figure. I can wait. Might look at it a thousand times on the way home or wherever. But never in the car will one be opened.

12. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

the ones that I buy & plan to open up & display. often get opened 2-4 weeeks on avergage. sometimes longer like 2+ months.

13. Tyjos

Tyjos Just another Collector

Twitter:
    Well as of late....they rarely stay in prison for less than a hour after I get em....

14. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They don't stay in their packages for long unless I have no time to open them. I'm terribly paranoid about QC problems with my toys and rip them open ASAP to calm my fears.

15. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I've got MISB Animated Jet Twins I've had for ages I keep meaning to open. I had to pack a load of stuff up out of the way recently to make room for people staying over at my house and that may have struck a blow for me ever opening it as it's now within the confines of my TF storage (imagine the warehouse at the end of the first Indiana Jones movie). Always meant to open it and been saving it for a rainy day, now I dunno if it'll ever get released to the fresh air.

Generally though new stuff gets opened the same day, often shortly after I get it back home. The only time things may get left a few days before opening is Christmas when I'll often get given get more than one new TF and to rip everything open in one day feels like doing the figures a disservice by not allowing them all to each have their day in the sun.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  16. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

Not very. They're out as soon as I get them home. Or unwrap them. Or bring them in from the mailbox. The exception was the Cybertron repaint of 10th Anniversary Deluxe Megatron, which I had bought by mistake last June, thinking it was Leader Megs (no picture). I tried to auction it off a couple months ago, but there were no bids. None. I finally gave it to my youngest brother as a birthday present this year. He loves it.

17. Latias Prime

Latias Prime I'm only slightly crazy!

I usually wait to get home before I open the box. I like it if I can save the packaging in a fairly undamaged condition, and that's sort of hard to do in a car.

18. bulletthebluesky

bulletthebluesky Mmmm... Beer

Hell, I can't even wait until I pay for it!!! lol j/k

But seriously, I like to wait until I get home and know that I'll have a little bit of time to myself to mess with them... otherwise, what's the point in having it opened if you can't mess with it a little bit?

Also, if I get multiple Transformers at a time, I like to spread them out over a week or so, depending on how many. Last purchase was WFC Prime and Bumblebee and Drift. I opened prime later that day, waited till the weekend to open Bumblebee, and till Tuesday or Wednesday the following week to open drift(he was my most anticipated, so I left him for last).

19. PeolesDru

PeolesDru Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This.

Although sometimes I can't help myself if there's still time left on my break.

20. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

Oh, I know I can only control what can be seen through the package. I didn't say it was sane.