How London is Reacting to TF5...

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Olivus Prime, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Olivus Prime

Olivus Prime Space Ranger

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    At the weekend I had a chat with my Dad, who is a high figure behind the London Royal Docks, about some film-related stuff - in the past he's supervised various films being filmed in the docks (including Spectre and Jason Bourne I believe) and he mentioned that Paddington 2 will be filming a stunt there at some point in the future. Most interesting to me though was what he said about TF5's production.

Apparently Michael Bay has been attempting to execute various stunts and film certain scenes without any regard for the local authorities, with a lot of people getting seriously annoyed with how he refuses to take "no" for an answer when he's told that the stunt is too dangerous, or that he's not allowed to film on their property.

Before anyone mentions bias or whatever, I don't think this is hyperbole, seeing as how my Dad has only heard this from others and hasn't been approached for use of the docks. Still, I think it's a shame to hear how callous Bay is being - I always respected his practical and attentive filmmaking even if the man himself isn't totally likable, but this makes me question his methods.

2. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    I mean, one of THE MOST quintessentially American filmakers EVER filming what's basically a Fourth of July movie in the U.K. was BOUND to ruffle some feathers, lol.

I'm sure he's as frustrated by "tea-time" breaks interrupting his rapid-fire work pace as any American filmmaker would be and having one of the best safety records in all of Hollywood second-guessed by locals who aren't even in the filmmaking business probably doesn't help.

Hopefully, it's all just local gossip and bluster and bruised egos while the millions and millions and millions of dollars he's pumping into the U.K.'s economy right now are helping the medicine go down a bit more easily for the sake of an all-around great movie for BOTH sides of the pond.

Whoops! I meant POUNDS not DOLLARS.

;) 

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  3. tonyformer

tonyformer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have a hard time believing all of London is acting this way. A small minority sure! But there is far more people there that are eating this up and loving every second of it. There are always going to be a select vocal few that are against Bay and don't want him filming in their back yards lol.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Sixshot93

Sixshot93 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Exactly. This is why I'm (currently) hating how Londoners will try and drum up controversy to deny any actual positive response to the filming. First, The Sun, Secondly, The Daily Mail and "King Arthur's alleged descendant", and now this dude's dad's friend's irate snobby "associates". No disrespect, by the way.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Αἰών

News Credits:
    In the words of Christopher Hitchens, "What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."

• Like Like x 5
  6. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan The Sept of Kaon

News Credits:
    I'm sure there's a little truth behind this, but at the same time i kind of like the idea of filmmakers breaking a few rules to get the shot, it feels sort of right, if that makes sense.

It reminds back at college, i studied film and TV, and we were always jumping over fences and clambering over rooftops to get the shots and backdrops we needed for our crappy little movies! lol

Hazekiah, where do you get your figures of millions and millions and millions from? Out of interest.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Olivus Prime

Olivus Prime Space Ranger

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Apologies if I made it seem as if "all of London" is acting this way, I was simply reporting what I've been told about his interactions with local businesses and authorities, for the sake of production insight.

I certainly see where you're coming from, but as a fellow film student, I have to disagree - good interactions with those who are granting you permission are key to a smooth and successful film shoot, and are especially beneficial in the long term. I expect these reactions don't put Michael Bay in particularly good standing should he desire to film in London again.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    I'm not quoting actual figures from anywhere, I'm just paying attention and guesstimating. It's a massively-financed, multibillion-dollar franchise with a gigantic crew of professionals filming on a roughly $200 million dollar budget for over a month across the U.K., including some pretty big-deal landmarks.

I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that AT LEAST THREE of those millions of dollars were paid into the local economy, not to mention the cast's & crew's living expenses.

It's kind of a major part of the whole business.

• Like Like x 2
  9. tonyformer

tonyformer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not to mention with the UK pulling out of the EU, I'm sure the money they are getting from films being made there isn't going to be turned away.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan The Sept of Kaon

News Credits:
    That's a shame, I mean i don't doubt it, but i hoped you had something my concrete. Be fascinating to see exactly where and how much money is being injected. And then I wonder if they get any tax breaks to offset that against.

I guess you'd need to be in the business to know those figures.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Kickbacks are the main reason most films are shot wherever they're shot. There's a BIG reason Spider-Man: Homecoming was mostly shot in Georgia and it WASN'T the NYC-style urban topography, lol.

XD

• Like Like x 3
  12. DeletedUser_106023

DeletedUser_106023 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just want drama. They always do this to Michael Bay. Not believing shit.
    And if it is true, I couldn't care less. Bay is a good guy, highly misunderstood.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MV95

MV95 @marlinfan1995 Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    If there is any truth to this, if a filmmaker wants to get a certain shot, they're not going to take no for an answer lol

Just like what Livingdeaddan said about climbing fences (which I may or may not have done) :wink: 

• Like Like x 1
  14. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    As TFW knows, I was at filming and don't notice that they had any problem with local authority, there were plenty of City policemen there and announcements about road closure was dated 16th of August, so they made everything properly. Also as I already said there weren't any major explosions, only few moments and several car crashes. I totally agree, some londoners (not mean your dad) just want to make fame by baseless words while MB and team work up a sweat from dawn to dawn!

• Like Like x 2
  15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP My personal sense of scale

News Credits:
    Now is this actually all of London, or just a nasty spread of rumours a few buzz news sites have taken as representative of the country overall?

• Like Like x 1
  16. DrLee

DrLee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    a couple of movies isn't going to help cover Brexit....

this is just a few NIMBYs getting their knickers in a twist... always happens. nothing to take much notice of.

17. Sixshot93

Sixshot93 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ouch.

*scratches Ewen Bremner off the list, next to Kate Beckinsale*

18. Shark

Shark Carcharodon carcharias

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Is he a good action director? Sure!
    Is he a decent human being? Well...uh...

19. DeletedUser_106023

DeletedUser_106023 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I believe he is. I think people just get mad at him because he gets aggressive during filming sometimes. Bay is an ambitious director, so he has big ideas. People probably just get mad at him for doing things that any normal person would do and decide to hold it against him.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Blacksmoke1033

Blacksmoke1033 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was there for filming for one weekend, and can say for the most part, businesses and those in the local area got letters saying E75 (the production code for the movie) would be filming from X-Y time, and can also say applying needs to be done about 12 weeks in advance. There were also very clear road signs placed in advance, lots of security guards and staff to ensure things ran smoothly. They started dead on time for scenes on Saturday, and finished for breaks absolutely dead on time. Barriers around their filming area were set up in advance, so I doubt they could have very easily switched to filming somewhere that wasn't agreed to months in advance? The operation felt very safe, organised, and professional. During the pyrotechnic take on the Saturday, people were kept well behind and there were people about to inform the public there would be an explosion and not to worry. Filming also started extremely early so in most places, they were there and gone before they could piss anyone off. It was pretty considerate. For such a massive crew for a big movie requiring a lot of car racing and explosions, I found it all to be very well controlled and considerate.

HOWEVER. I also know there were plenty of people who literally had no idea what was going on, and was a bit surprised to see that filming by Westminster Bridge was disrupting a flow of people trying to walk to the hospital nearby. On Sunday by Piccadilly Circus because of a late start, they also finished several minutes late, AND due to a guard not being in place, someone got on set during filming and almost got seriously hurt. It all fell apart a little bit, but honestly I don't blame them for overrunning to get that last take, since they literally only managed to get 4 out in total I believe. I also don't doubt that someone like Michael Bay wouldn't miss an opportunity for another take, or blow up something he shouldn't for a last minute perfect shot, even if it meant getting in trouble later. I imagine in the heat of filmmaking, especially with the rush and stress of the moment, it's pretty easy to go 'look I don't care what they said, we're here, I want to do this and I will'.

Not defending him, but honestly it doesn't surprise me, and at the end of the day from my experience all the filming was carried out very well. I actually didnt expect a film crew to be that well behaved :rolleyes: 

• Like Like x 2