How I think Hasbro can create a Unified Universe With Bumblebee reboot.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by James Sutterlin, Mar 10, 2019.

1. JohnStartop

JohnStartop There can only be one.

There are so many individual Transformers that people like, so if Duke or Rainbow Dash just took the screentime, that'd be bullshit. Totally different demographics.

The only connection would be a prelude to Generation 2 designs which involve the G.I. Joe characters initially, but that's a long way down the road.

2. MattDallas

MattDallas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Although I (as a Transformers fan) would quite like it if Gi Joe were in the films as the military faction, I do wonder if Gi Joe fans would be happy having giant alien robots invading their Gi Joe films.

• Like Like x 2
  3. James Sutterlin

James Sutterlin Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    I should probably rephrase my statement. I'd like to see a shared universe come around, via Cartoon and Comic more than Movie. Unlike Marvel and DC where it is just super heroes you could have a more dynamic Universe with GI JOE, Transformers, M.A.S.K, Micronauts etc. .

• Like Like x 1
  4. Terradives

Terradives Well-Known Member

Still a horrible idea.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout A face you can trust! Really!

It's still basically the exact same thing. There litterally is no point to making a shared universe if all you want is a shared universe without considering how things would conceptually co-exist.

After all, that's why UNIT-E was so readily scrapped to keep Transformers Prime funded. It had been nothing but a planned launch platform for the very thing you are suggesting.

• Like Like x 1
  6. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Yeah, they'd be a bit overshadowed...

7. James Sutterlin

James Sutterlin Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Creating a Co-Existing universe is the easy part. G.I. Joe and Cobra both get Transformer tech and take to the stars. MASK used it to modify cars to better go after VENOM state side crime organization. The stories and events can cross over easily enough in this way.

8. Wheeljack84

Wheeljack84 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    That's never going to happen. Just like that Micronauts movie will never happen.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Autobot Burnout

That's still three separate franchises, one of which is dead in the water (GI JOE) and the other is supposed to be getting its own film eventually (MASK, they got the Fast and Furious director which I think was a smart move). That's three seperate plotlines going on at once between three largely different good guy groups and their respective enemies, such that if they aren't all in one big massive combined force, it's just going to get bogged down in its own complex bullshit way too fast.

This is an example of what I've come to refer to as 'the inverse coolness property' because trying to shove a bunch of franchises together in a big crossover setting into a blender and expecting the end result to be any good typically ends up being anything but because you really can't do that. A GOOD crossover is much more than slamming a bunch of things together because they share only one or two common traits, you have to integrate them far more realistically if it isn't involving crossed dimensions or some shit like that.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Venixion

Venixion Resident Feather-brain

News Credits:

Only if it was done well and if they were TF fans too I suppose. The GI Joe films weren't exactly amazing. I mean the first one was decent but the second was boring.

11. Rodimal Rodimus

Rodimal Rodimus Agent of Unit:E

Lost of pessimists here. I don't believe it's inherently bad, just put it in the right hands.

12. Autobot Burnout

That should tell you how confident people are that the people in charge would understand who exactly would be the right hands. It's a problem that's persisted ever since the concept of cross-franchise narratives were created. Everybody wants Into The Spiderverse but instead we'd more likely get something like Suicide Squad...

13. Rodimal Rodimus

Rodimal Rodimus Agent of Unit:E

Fair enough

14. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Miniautoquintessoboticon

I think it could work.

But the component franchises would first need to be able to stand on their own first.

Transformers has proven that it can, it just needs the right people behind it (otherwise you get a trainwreck of continuity from the Bay Saga). I think the Joes could work too, but the current political climate might be an issue (even if they aren't actually a glorification of the military, in particular the US, it's...hard for some people to not make the connection). Besides GI Joe, there are four Hasbro owned franchises/characters the Transformers could share a universe with: MASK, Micronauts, Gobots, and ROM. It's a big galaxy, ROM could easily simply be operating elsewhere in space and thus rarely, if ever, encounter the bots. His story could only end up colliding with theirs because their respective wars both come to Earth.

Gobots could also work, except that, at least in Bumblebee, their series already exists as in-universe fiction (complete with deleted scene of Memo proposing that Bee is a Gobot), so they're already out.

The Micronauts' whole thing is getting catapulted into another universe. It's more about making their gimmick(s) work within a movie setting.

MASK is the obvious one; their equipment is derived from Cybertronian technology.

All of them can work in a shared universe. But do they need to? No, I don't think so. Let them stand independent of each other.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Autobot Burnout

Yeah, I think that's the big thing that anybody who actually believes Hasbro can just charge head on into a 'shared universe' seems to be missing. What good is it to cram a bunch of cool things in a blender and turn it on if the individual things don't stand on their own? There has to be some kind of connection in order for it to work, an understanding of what each franchise is that in turn would dictate how reactions with other franchises would go. Just because they're "cool" on their own doesn't mean they'll just automatically be cool if you put them together. Works for playtime carpet battles...not so much in the actual, professional narrative field.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Sablebot

Sablebot Autobot Media Scientist

Agreed-Paramount needs to completely get their Transformers house in order first, before trying to place that house in other neighborhoods. . .BB was a good start. . .Personally, I say tear the house down and rebuild it with better materials. .

• Like Like x 3
  17. Sablebot

Sablebot Autobot Media Scientist

True - and Skull Island also had an after credits scene that teased the Godzilla saga showing cave drawings of Godzilla, Ghidora(sp?), Rodan, and Mothra. . .As well as a scene earlier in the film where a car pulls up with a certain company logo on it tying all those things together. . .

• Like Like x 1
  18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    How can people to this day still continue to learn the wrong lesson from Marvel?

I hate the term "shared universe." Marvel only managed to pull it off because they spent years building on it and perfecting it. Transformers doesn't work as a shared universe with other properties because it's already a shared universe populated with countless characters. Why bring in shit unrelated to the brand when you have all that and more already within it?

• Like Like x 6
  19. Honorbound

Honorbound The Working Hermit

Pretty much. Transformers has enough ideas to rival the largest shared universes.

Something else I've observed is that every company wants the success of the MCU, but they aren't willing to put in the necessary groundwork and take the risks that Marvel did early on. If anything, time has proven that shared universes have their own set of problems, and that the MCU's ability to surpass those problems is the exception, not the rule.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Autobot Burnout

Sometimes I feel like the basics of storytelling and narration should be a required subject in education specifically because so many people these days dont seem to comprehend what a good story actually requires.

With Transformers specifically, it was obvious they took the lazy way out by trying to construct the beginning of a MCU like system on top of the pre existing trilogy...by first using AOE to go total scorched Earth on it and thus rendering any actual in-universe reason to keep the continuity moot. All that amounted to was Paramount desperately trying not to use the term Reboot because they've convinced themselves that concept would kill the momentum and popularity of the franchise. They should instead have tried to construct an actual, new web of plots like the MCU and started over, instead of whatever they did end up doing and essentially think they could get away with ripping off Ancient Aliens.

• Like Like x 1