How I loathe Job Interviews...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CodeXCDM, Jan 13, 2014.

1. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So long story short, I've been unemployed near 3 years now... was employed full time for only ONE years since graduating college five and a half years ago.

Several times already... I get my time wasted by interviewers that go OK until they read the detail... "Oh you haven't worked in how long..?" Doesn't matter that I wasn't fired and even offered to be re-hired... doesn't matter that the economy still isn't in a great place... Nope. Interview goes south quickly from there.

Then there's folks that somehow expect 5-10 years experience in X, Y, or Z when I only graduated 5 years ago and have ONE year of established work.

DO THEY BOTHER TO READ THE RESUME AT ALL BEFOREHAND!?!?

And the coup de grace today... Got this curious take on an interview... Nothing specific to a job... just direct client or co-worker interactions. My one relevant full time job, was more of a research and testing gig. What would be relevant was my NINE years tutoring Math... get all sorts of folks there. Tried to talk of those experiences, which are wholly relevant and... nope. "That experience is too dated."

:banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead: 

2. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

That's a tough break and I feel ya; I hope to be heading back into the work place here within the next 6 months.

3. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

You have my sympathies man. I was without a job for 3 years as well. Finally got back into the workplace around 2011 and have been fortunate since then.

I imagine you have applied to MANY jobs and have received very few interviews. I know that's how it was for me. I only had 1 year of experience in my job area. It was a painful experience for sure. That said, it gives you a whole new appreciation for work. I cannot stand people that complain about their job.

4. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

I'm sorry you're going through this too. It's very irritating when hiring managers/recruiters ask why you've been out of work for so long. It's not like we're sitting around twiddling our thumbs.

5. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    Not that I know your situation 100%, but have you tried working at other places that have nothing to do with your degree for the moment? Sometimes some work experience is better than none. For example, I worked for a cell phone company, then a check printing company, then a cable company. None of that had anything to do with my work now as an Insurance agent and I'm making way better money than any of those other three jobs I had.

6. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Miniautoquintessoboticon

Well, least you can get interviews.

Same can't be said for my brother and I.

7. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    Not for nothing and no offense meant by this, but have you and your brother taken advantage of any free local programs/workshops that help out with interviewing skills and resume writing tips? A good friend of mine that works in HR really echos what the articles you might read on the internet say. If the resume is written horribly....they won't even look at it (especially if it's not up to date).

Usually if there's some kind of temp agency or local workforce center in your city, they can sometimes hold free seminars that teach these things to help people out.

8. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They do read resumes but the purpose of the interview is to not only see you but hear how you respond to questions, if you sound like a bumbling idiot or a confident person they want on their team

9. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    There is also ways to structure resumes to not show the dates of employment.

10. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's tough man, but don't let it get you down.

Best of luck!

11. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    I hate to say it but many HR people are really thoughtless. They seriously have to be led from A to B to C because they just can't get there on their own. If you know 49 languages, you can't ever learn 50. If you're unemployed, you can't ever be employed. If you're from East Springfield, you can never move to West Springfield. And so on.

So what you need to do here is help them overcome this crippling disability. Tell them you've been running a small business the last 3 years. That way, they won't be stymied by the unfathomable mysteries of economic turbulence, state change, or the imaginary cost of training that they weren't going to provide anyway.

Don't be modest but don't oversell to the point where they ask too many questions. Questions lead to thinking, thinking leads to pain, pain leads to anger, anger leads to the Dark Side. I know this is very cynical advice but these days it's all about telling people what they want to hear. And this is all said assuming that you're competent enough to actually do whatever job you're applying for. An alternative is to just bail out of HR-style interviews altogether. If somebody familiar with your job function interviews you, there's a better chance that real skills matter more than social "skills" making the charade above totally unnecessary.

12. jamspeed

jamspeed Follow me on Instagram _jamspeed_

Ebay:
    I wouldn't recommend lying to start off, Most places can fire you for lying on a resume/interview. For interviews sometimes you can do phone interviews to feel out if they are worth your time, just see if they are open to some questions about the job - and if they have questions for you.

Hate to say it but you just need some kind of job at this point, then work your way from there. I assume you have reached out to any contacts from your 1 year of work? If not I can't stress enough that you have to keep in touch and network, just joining Linked in can help.

13. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Miniautoquintessoboticon

I did, but my brother didn't. More attention was drawn to me on that subject then it was to him because of how well I always did in school (whereas he was a bit, uh, stubborn and procrastinating--it all came back to bite him). My older sister, who can't seem to NOT get a job, helped me out with my resume and I applied online. Then again, Walmart may not have been the best choice (since the local one seems to always be hiring and they probably get a lot of applications and resumes, maybe I shouldn't have expected a reply).

14. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Ah, job interviews. My favourite thing to pass time on.

Keep it simple, keep it smart, dress suitably to what you're applying for. I've been taught that big unemployment gaps [at least here in the UK] have to be explained---take up a job at a restaurant or something and present it as a "career break".

In the end, it greatly depends on who's interviewing you and what their mondus operati as a business is.

For instance, I attended a f*cking two and a half hour interview for a restaurant chain for a waiter position for minimum wage [having worked as a waiter for 3 years, and my last job being a bar manager for crying out loud for over a year] and they said, and I quote "we have people with more suitable experience". Even though everybody else they interviewed was straight out of college.

1 month later, I attended a half hour interiew for the local university of the town, my last admin job being 2 years ago, and got the job with no fuss and no drama. Way above minimum wage.

So, to sum up, don't show any employment gaps for no good reason [even put charity work in, helping a family business, anything] and in the end pray that you're not being interviewed by a pretentious company.

Peace out brother, hope you get your dues in the workplace soon ;) 

15. MetalicGrunt

MetalicGrunt Rust Proof Commando

News Credits:
    I have an interview next week. I already have a good job, but I want an even better one! I already have the feeling the job I am interviewing for is mine already, short a major screw-up during said interview. This could turn into a $16,000 raise with a direct link to federal management.

16. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can empathize actually. My brother lost his job years ago due to an injury, they whittled his hours to nothing little by little... this is technically illegal, but going through official mediums didn't benefit him at all. Long story short, took him over three years to land a job... and it's crap. Hell, apparently there's a new min wage and they're not complying yet. IDK how the hell they get away with it.

As for myself... I've gotten maybe four interviews last year. Two in person, two over the phone. So not really having much luck here TBH.

Regarding my resume... I've reformatted it so many times it's just nauseating. Really, every person I've handed it too has to go tear it up, move everything about, and throw nonsense words into it. Too many chefs in the kitchen... or something.

Those resources vary a lot I'm afraid too... Right now I have a state job counselor who is bloody worthless. Tells me to go to a computer lab to look up jobs... but I can do that at home. Won't help me otherwise. Doesn't find me potential jobs, doesn't give me info on grants... nada.

I actually found a STEM grant that I'm currently taking part of for a certification or two. Might help. IDK yet. But the state aide didn't help me with it. Had to do it myself.

Yea whatever interviews I've been to vary way too much it's headache inducing. One place I spoke with them for a good hour... seemed to go great... but I guess they spoke to someone better and had no courtesy to at least talk to me afterwards. The other... the interviewer was an asshole who was already late, behind schedule looks at me for a few seconds, quickly dismisses me.

As for gaps... Whenever I've shown the resume to someone for critique without dates... they insist I have to put the years on it. Course again they will also tear it apart and restructure it like some sort of Picasso mishmash... but that's beyond the point.

Gonna have to agree with this one bit...

Can't agree on the rest because I'm a terrible liar. Can't stand lying... can't stand being lied to. Really, I'd rather people be blunt and to the point. Can't tolerate folks that can't be truthful, or just avoid saying stuff on their mind.

17. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    A lil known "unknown" secret is that you have to personalize your CV for each job. Yup.

You can do a relatively "generic" CV that's emphasized for, like admin jobs, one that's more for bar/service jobs and so on and have these as templates, but depending on the full job details you have to personalize it even more.

What do you mean "put the years on"? As in, dates? Because yes, you should. The other person needs to know if [for instance] you worked as a bank cashier one or five years ago, it makes a difference. If by years you mean put your age on, then depending on your country, that's borderline illegal to ask to put on a CV, or bad form at best.

18. cliffjumper15

cliffjumper15 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    honestly, and not to say this is true to you, but being a business owner and previously a manager in charge of hiring... When you see someone hasnt worked in several years you basically just assume theyre lazy and dont want to work. Its shitty but it is what it is.

19. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Go to a temp agency. See if they could use you. It will get you working again and possibly increases your skill set. If the company you work at likes you, it might lead to permanent work.

Basically get some type of job, even if you feel it is 'below you'. Fast food, walmart, whatever. Gives you money and something on the resume so recruiters don't think you have been doing nothing for so many years.

Also might be time to start looking to relocate for a job. If you find a job that means you need to move, take it.

20. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

After doing interviews for my company, i can easily see how people cant get a job.

One of my favorite interview fail moments.

Me - tell me about your CSR experience
    Them - it was good.