How do you think Transformers would be different if it was owned by Disney?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by gregles, Oct 12, 2015.

1. gregles

gregles quintesson

not sure if this has been discussed before or not and it would be pretty unlikely to ever actually happen but Disneys rescent impressive treatment of the Star Wars franchise has really got me wondering how it would affect our franchise. Of course it probably is a little too early to fully judge the things like the Battlefront game and new movie that will likely define Disneys treatment of a popular science fiction franchise but they do both seem incredibly comitted and dedicated to pleasing fans even if the end result doesn't quite live up to the insane levels of expectations levelled at them. Of course there is other stuff already released like the Rebels Cartoon.

How do you think it would affect the movies? Toys? Video Games? Comics? Cartoons? Books? And would 3rd parties be affected?

2. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    third parties would be smited and i'd probably be a lot less happy.

3. Reask

Reask Predacon

Well for one thing they would force IDW to give the rights back to Marvel, cancel all of the current IDW Transformers just like that killing off a great continuity I love, and when the comic rights revert back to Marvel, Marvel would advertise all smug saying "Welcome home" Meaning that only Marvel can do good Transformers comics and that MTMTE was never actually good. They said welcome home when they got Star Wars back, I'm sure they would do the same thing if god forbid Disney started to own Transformers.

The cartoons would take a massive hit in quality, each one would only go on for a year before it's disposed of for some different tripe on a yearly basis, just like how they (poorly) handle all of Marvel's animation.

Aside from the Marvel comics I think Disney has done a great job so far with the upcoming Star Wars films and the Rebels TV series, but I cannot ever allow the thought to come into my head of a Disney owned Transformers franchise, mainly because I prefer to give my comic money to someone other than Marvel. I may love Marvel's films, but I hate everything else they do. =P

4. gregles

gregles quintesson

Despite a growing word of mouth fan base I also could see IDW being perceived as the commercial weakest link and thus squeezed out in favour of something more corporate like marvel but who knows maybe they could at least occasionally use those previously proven to please fans like James Roberts and Simon Furman and at least an event comic wouldn't use Livio or someone else equally average or rushed.

Really not sure if Disney would/could work with Michael Bay. He seems the least Disney person ever created. He makes money and Disney is a business so it could work. Haven't really followed Disney or Michael Bay careers that closely so for all I know they could have previously worked together.

I don't know that much about Disney or Star Wars toys, have they got the skills for it?

5. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You guys have convinced me. Please Disney, buy Transformers.

You mean like Avengers Assemble going into their 3rd year, Ultimate Spiderman going into its 4th and the brand new Guardians of the Galaxy already have a season 2 greenlit? Hulk and Agents of SMASH is done but it had 2 seasons.

6. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Aside from agreeing with you on how Disney can force IDW to give up the TF rights would indeed be sad I can't say the same about your views on Disney made TF shows taking a hit. I mean we got shows like Gravity Falls,Star vs the Forces of Evil,Star Wars Rebels, and Wander over Yonder are actually quite good and Disney themselves aren't in charge of the Marvel shows,only the Marvel people are so I doubt the TF shows being made by Disney would be bad just as long as the people behind them are good.

7. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh God...That would not go over well.

8. Slingshot

Slingshot Back In the Game

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I don't think anyone really wants Disney to buy Transformers. They would be foolish and force IDW to hand over the rights back to Marvel, and for fans of 3'rd Party, say goodbye to 3'rd Party figures.
    In reality, Hasbro's doing a good job.

9. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

10. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    IDW would disappear which i don't know if I could handle.

but otherwise the movies would probably be a lot better.

so i'm conflicted.

11. Zook

Zook Evil Incarnate

Disney loves animals, so Beast Wars would finally get some attention. :D 

Yeah the only positive would be the live action movies being better. Maybe the toys would be higher quality, but toys in general have been declining in quality for years.

12. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    Mother of God, I don't want Disney to get their hands on Transformers, they are already a money making giant with their own properties plus Star Wars & Marvel. Besides I'd rather see more IDW made Transformer comics they are really good, honestly people say the movies would be better but I like them the way they are but thats me. Toy wise I am sure Hasbro is fine already and they do make toys for Disney properties so it wouldn't really be different. That still doesn't make up for the fact I don't want Disney to soon take over the world and I most certainly don't want them taking control of the Transformers, let them have Gobots.

13. Basilisk

Basilisk It will give you infinite pleasure!

Disney would make them into crappy live action films that don't get any flack and they would become the main focus of the franchise so even if you didn't care for the films there would be no escape from it the cartoons would be based on the films and so would the comics there would be no escape, no variety. Complain about the Bay movies all you want just be glad we don't have Disney shoving one incarnation in our faces every damn time.

14. Jochimus

Jochimus Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!

The only real downside at this point would be losing IDW, but at the very least they'd probably be allowed to complete any unfinished story arcs (unlike the previous TF comic publisher...). Past that, I'm not sure what deal Universal had worked out on their Transformers rides, but Disney would probably find a workaround on that too as they did with Marvel (then again, at the rate Universal's been discarding attractions after a decade or so's worth of service, and given that an entire section of Islands of Adventure essentially now belongs to their biggest competitor, I'll be impressed if Marvel Super Hero Island's still standing by the time another decade passes).

As for fear of the influence of the Movies being smeared into the cartoons, well, pfft, that's already happened with TF anyway, so I think it's a moot point now. However, on the cartoon front there'd also be a distinct upshot: namely, we'd finally have a TF cartoon on a network that will actually give it a decent time slot for once!

15. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    And that's a bad thing? I think it would be cool if they did at least find a way to do crossover toys. The idea of a robotic Maleficent that turns into her dragon form would be awesome and something I would buy.

16. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I loathe Disney to the core.
    BUT, if they did Transformers, they could possibly create more of a focus for the franchise rather than being all over the place. They would also probably make distribution a lot better, any animated series' would be more accessible, and they may be able to turn the live action films around.
    There are downsides, like more Star Wars crossovers, but none of the others mentioned bother me.

17. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    Didn't Disney find Power Rangers to be too violent for their tastes?
    A series where the focal point is a giant, never ending war might not sit well with them.

18. LegionMaximus

LegionMaximus Well-Known Member

I think Transformers as imagined by Disney would be amazing. Maybe not the Disney of yesteryear, but the Disney of today. "Gravity Falls" is a Disney product and it's one of the best cartoons currently on TV. Drama, humor, great characters (including Stan who is so morally grey that I'm shocked (yet delighted) that Disney is okay with him), and LOTS of action and, yes, violence.

They punch unicorns, so why not Unicrons?

But I do love IDW so I wouldn't want anything to jeopardize that.

19. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

I don't think that it was necessarily too violent for them so much as they didn't really have any idea what to do with the property. It was worth more to them on the market than it was probably going to profit them as an IP.

It does occur to me that we'd finally get a DVD release of RiD.

Well, there was the Disney Label line. Not a lot of molds and what they did release were tiny and overpriced. Mostly it was just recolors of the Mickey as Optimus figure.

20. JoshFinn

JoshFinn Getting real sick of your shit starscream

F*ck Disney
    Short and sweet