How do you rank the current Transformer outlets?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by YoungPrime, Oct 16, 2011.

1. YoungPrime

YoungPrime Herald Of Primus

News Credits:
    Here's mine:

1st: War For Cybertron
    2nd: IDW Ongoing comic series
    3rd: Ales Irvines Novels
    4th: Transformers: Prime
    5th: Bayformers

Were there any that I missed? How would you rank them and what would you like to see from Hasbro in the future?

Note: I didn't add toys to mix since I believe that may throw the discussion off topic. But I guess you can say that these outlets represent their toy lines as well.

2. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    1. Transformers: Prime
    2. Whatever

Seriously, if it wasn't for TFP, I wouldn't give a shit about Transformers.

3. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    1. IDW comics
    2. War For Cybertron
    3. Transformers: Prime

4. YoungPrime

News Credits:
    Then what else would you like to see?

5. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Top slots are War for Cybertron, Prime, and Beast Wars. You pick the order. They are all so good I'm to busy watching them to rank them.

6. YoungPrime

News Credits:
    Although it wasn't stated it was implied. Current outlets only.

7. Ultra Brevis

Ultra Brevis State-employed peace-keeping agent, yes???

I'm really enjoying the idw comic. Prime is ok, as were the milne novels. Haven't played the game. I'm a G1 head though.

Prob

1 IDW
    2 Milne
    3 Prime
    4 WFC
    (without having seen or played it, it's still above the bay movies! It looks shit cool!)
    5 Bayverse

8. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    As for affecting the franchise as a whole, putting the movies at the bottom of the list is basically just ignorance. Love them or hate them, they have permanently changed the name Transformers forever, and in my opinion, for the good.

1. Movieverse
    2. WfC game(s)
    3. TFPrime
    4. IDW
    5. Novels

9. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I liked War for Cybertron a lot - it was a fun game and had some great G1-inspired designs. So that's probably at number one for me. The rest... meh.

I'm sick of the movies, even if Dark of the Moon was pretty fun (which I can now say as I finally got around to watching it for the first time last night). I lost interest in Prime pretty early on and haven't seen an episode since the one where Megatron possessed Bumblebee (part one - never got around to watching part two). I don't read the comics or novels.

I'm actually at a big lull in my fandom, honestly. Aside from Classics (when I can find the damn things), nothing has really gripped me since Animated was cancelled.

10. YoungPrime

News Credits:
    LMAO @ "Space Choo Choo"

11. Inner-Demon

Inner-Demon Instrument Of Destruction

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Handle):
    1) I love comic books and the freedom offered to IDW, so it's to the IDW Series. Of course there were some mishaps during/after All Hail Megatron, I believe they've reaffirmed themselves, but I'm missing Simon Furman. 2012 promises to be exciting, no less.

2) Generations. The Toyline. I love what they're doing, the opportunity I've had to buy updated figures, and some really classy molds. It's just all around the most fun I've had buying toys in a long while.

3) Transformers Prime. It's an amazing series, I miss the more classic approach to animation, lots of CGI coming around the corner, but having Peter Cullen back as Optimus, in a worthy series, it just gives me chills. The first season was explosive and they went down roads I hadn't anticipated. But I still really miss Animated, still the best TF series I have ever watched.

4) War For Cybertron. You're telling me they made a good TF game? It was the equivalent to Arkham Asylum the year before. This game rocked, the narrative wasn't as cohesive and tight as I would have hoped, but it was the first solid TF in, well, ever. I was disappointed the G1 tie-in idea fell to the wayside, and all this Dark Energon still doesn't tickle my fancy, but for what it's worth, it's a worthy entry. I am positive WFC will pave the way to a great franchise.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    1. Movies
    2. Prime
    3. Everything else.

Yeah, it was called Armada on the PS2.

13. Inner-Demon

Inner-Demon Instrument Of Destruction

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Handle):
    I don't know if that was sarcasm or you were offended, but I found Armada poor. Thanks, come again.

14. YoungPrime

News Credits:
    LOL!

15. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    Prime.

The rest is meh at best.

16. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW SpongeBob and TTV's MS 2.0

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    1.Prime
    2.Animated
    3.G1

17. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Not everything is about "affecting the franchise as a whole. It's an opinion poll/questionnaire, and belittling someone their prefererence is "basically just ignorance".

As a counterpoint to your argument: The Spice Girls sold a shit ton of records when they premiered. Are they the best pop had to offer? Were they the best of their genre because they sold well at that time? No. Temporary popularity/casual interest income does not equal pivotal influence.

As far as my list:

WFC
    IDW
    Everything else

IDW has lost alot of my interest with the lack of fluidity and logical progression of the storyline. And AHM. So WFC to me seems to be the best outlet with the most potential for growth/mass appeal. I could easily see a toon series coming off of this.

18. Kostya

Kostya Destron

News Credits:
    1. Prime
    2. Novels

Above two are the only reasons I'm even here. The other stuff(below) is just boring, poorly written, or nothing more than fanservice for nostalgic fans.

3. IDW
    4. WFC
    5. Movies
    6. Generations

19. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not sure, I'm not a big TF fan in general, so I guess TFP spin offs would really be the only thing I'd be interested in.

20. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I wasn't belittling anyone. I was merely stating a fact that I believe the movies have done more for the franchise in its 4-year run than almost every other aspect of the name. There are many fans that hate the movies and refuse to acknowledge them, but even they have to accept the fact that they are successful and have added much to the Transformers universe. To not at least acknowledge that fact is being ignorant.

Also, your example is pointless. The Spice Girls were never meant to be the best pop band, and in the same regard, the Transformer movies were never going to be the best movies of all time. Both made lots of money, but the Transformers name is enduring. As for 'temporary popularity', well, how many new fans have the movies brought into the fold who want to dig deeper into the mythos? THAT is a sign of success to be taken into consideration. Also, the complex designs presented in the movies have already carried over and given influence to the other outlets, so I guess they did something right.