How do you manage being a collector in life?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Purple Heart, Jun 14, 2018.

1. peddlerofwine

peddlerofwine Starscream's Robot Gun

I have a good job and have a wife that tolerates/hates my hobby, lol. I have to disagree about holding off on some stuff you can get for later unless you can pay more for it later on. I was able to get some CHUGs from earlier than 2013 for a decent price when I really started, but now some CW figures cost a pretty penny if you missed out. I'm an official/unofficial MP and legends class collector, so I know my habits are different than many others. Just my two cents.

• Like Like x 1
  2. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All I can give are:

1. Have a genuine interest in the hobby. Don’t buy on impulse or whim.

Be prepared to be stuck with your collection or sell them at cost or loss.

2. Focus on one’s theme. Will help in saving $.

3. Budget. Bills come first.

4. Understanding spouse. Really helps a lot. Thankfully my spouse is ok with my hobby.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    Sometimes I wonder why I had to learn English when there's so many German words in that language now, not that I'm complaining. I'm amazed every time I find a word of my native language between English words, especially when it still has the same meaning :D 

• Like Like x 1
  4. Canbot

Canbot Well-Known Member

So much good info. But pay particular attention into what 'the long haul' of a collector means...it's a process of new replacing the old. Eventually space is what limits us all, not money. So as your collection grows, know what you are getting yourself into. While your family are not really telling the whole story, many collectors who lose focus of what is really important do go down a road that leads to more buying stuff and less investment in yourself: education, health, friends and family. Not trying to paint a false picture but do realize there is a reason why people fear and avoid the stereotypical toy collector. It's up to you to heed their concerns, assess them accordingly, and hopefully prove their stereotypes wrong. Everybody is different.

In the end, what is your family really afraid of happening to you? Ask them that, see what they say and go from there.

5. hightail

hightail Banned

Facebook:
    Buy what you can, when you can.

simple as that.

Transformers will always be around on eBay and internet toy sites, you can catch up on tfs you missed when first released.

That's the way I've done it since collecting in 1984.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MasterScale

MasterScale Well-Known Member

I don't know if I would call myself 'successful'. I mean, I pay my bills on time, can save money, and still have $ left to spend on this hobby... so something is going right. But like a lot of others have said: life comes first. I choose to prioritize contributing to my savings over toy robots. I'll choose friends over toys as well.

Also, what did you mean when others have stated: "you can’t have a hobby like collecting and make it anywhere in life."? Are they saying that having a collecting hobby = being a looser? Or that the money it takes is too draining on other goals? Because the first isn't true. And if you budget and keep your priorities straight the second isn't true, either.

Good luck, feel what you need to, but don't let it eat you up inside.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Blackout32

Blackout32 PANTERA FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    very well said brother i couldn't have agreed more. I live the same way at my place at a apt.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Liokaiser1989

Liokaiser1989 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Be organised so that it does not become a burden!

• Like Like x 2
  9. funkmonkey007

funkmonkey007 Bah weep gragnah

I'm 21 and in a similar boat. Stick to a budget, never pay too much for a figure, and ideally have a roommate, and you'll be able to collect. For me, it's at a pace of one figure a month, but at least it's still possible. I've heard it recommended that you want your rent to cost no more than 30% of your income. This is tricky on minimum wage, but like everyone else said; find a job with a future.

• Like Like x 1
  10. kronatron

kronatron Well-Known Member

1) Remember it's just plastic. EVERYTHING is more important than a toy.

2) I collect almost exclusively TFs. This helps me focus my sights on the one section of the isle instead of the entire store.

3) Forget about being a completist. A- you'll never finish, b- you can't afford it, and c- 75% of it is actually crap.

4) I have a credit card that I use to make all my TF purchases. It's "Daddy's fun-money card." I never let it go past a certain dollar limit, and I make myself pay it off 100% before I make the next round of purchases, even if that means it'll be 3 months before I can buy a $10 figure.

5) Happy wife happy life. Don't over-do it on the plastic splurge. If it doesn't fit on the shelf and you need another 50 gallon storage container, you may need to sell a few off. Don't let the bots invade other rooms of the house.

6) Have fun. It's a hobby. Don't let it dictate your financial situation, and if you start feeling miserable then take a 3-month break.

• Like Like x 2
  11. byk500

byk500 Well-Known Member

I’m not the kind of guy who has a lot of regrets but when I was your age, I literally threw away an extensive GI Joe, transformers, spawn, toybiz collection. Biggest regret. If, I could do it over, I would have left them in a plastic Rubbermaid box and asked my family to hold it for me.
    The real estate thing makes things complicated but I would have loved to keep all of it

• Like Like x 1
  12. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    I know that others have probably said this already but just to echo them: a stable job, a "toy budget", and a focus are all very important details. Can't buy toys without a job to make money but also important not to overspend what you have budgeted. Keeping focused on just the lines you like will help and also prevent possible buyer's remorse later on if you buy something just for the sake of buying something. Also important to keep in mind what is more important. Buying a toy should never be more important than the essentials in life like food, clothes, bills, gas, etc.

Now I'm not married, but I imagine that it would be a big help if your spouse would be supportive of your collection. Other than that, just keep in mind, if it makes you happy, then keep on collecting if you are able (as long as it doesnt interfere with more important matters) and don't worry about what other people might think of your collecting. In high school, I used to be very concerned what people would think if they saw me looking at toys to the point if I did see someone I know, I would make up some BS story like looking for a birthday present. It took a while, but now I'm on the point I could really care less what people think if they see me buy a toy...up to a point. Buying a big toy like a titan class does take a bit of explaining :p  but still not to the point I would really hide it that much.

• Like Like x 1
  13. kronatron

kronatron Well-Known Member

I was at a shop looking for POTP Grimlock, saw another adult dude pick up the second one and scrutinize it the way a collector does. We got to talking and it turns out he was part of a local group of action figure collectors. Now I'm a part of their FB group page and I have a network of good sources for quality vintage trades, and a great resource for upcoming trade shows and comicbook shop events, etc. Pretty kewl if you ask me.

• Like Like x 1
  14. worldsgreatest

worldsgreatest Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As with anything else in life, balance.

15. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Learning how to budget collecting money can make you better at managing the rest of your money.

Avoiding the trade-in mentality is one example. Some people trade-in frequently, losing ground on each trade, and end up spending more to own less. If you only buy what really works for you, you don't get caught up in that. Not for Optimus Prime toys, not for smartphones, not for cars.

16. siccoyote

siccoyote Worst side of the fandom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    First you get the money.

Then you get the figures.

Then you get the women.

Then you lose the figures and the money

• Like Like x 2
  17. Kotori Sonoda

Kotori Sonoda Yohane's Little Demon

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I'm 22. I'm already fairly stable in my job and I'm slowly learning to control my purchases and start saving, avoid the impulse buys that plagued me when I was in college and when I first started working.
    Now I'm starting to narrow my focus (finishing of POTP, Studio series) and doing better to control my budget.

18. geezerman402

geezerman402 Well-Known Member

I just bought a house with a room for my plastic addiction at 29, and purposefully chose the smallest room of the house to limit myself. Had to get rid of a bunch of stuff that simply wouldn't fit. If it can't be displayed, then away it goes.

19. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Shop frugal, buy things on sale, put aside some money into interest building accounts to save up for things you only REALLY want, don't waste time collecting things for the sake of collecting, but get what you really like and enjoy. Get a good job and stick with it, don't let it burn you out either, those things can be a real pain. If you find your collection becoming too large and no longer fun, always remember that it's just a hobby, and selling off some of it to others who will enjoy it as much as you is never a crime, or a problem. If you are having financial troubles, take a step back and really think about where you want your life to go, and have supports in place to help out.

Also, INVEST, at your age you don't really have to worry about it, but having something squirreled away now will be a huge help later on down the road. Get some financial knowledge and look into options for saving. If I had done any of those things when I was that young and not stuck where I am now I might be way better off.

PAY OFF CREDIT CARDS! Do not order and order and order and jack it up so high that the interest kills you. Trust me on this, Credit Cards are very useful but also very dangerous to fall into the trap of spending your money before you earn it.

20. KABAR432

KABAR432 giving beasts a forever home.

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I am a relatively new TF collector (less than 1 year into it).. and here is my advice based on what I have learned.

- Don't get sucked into the "completionist" mindset. Especially for new lines. I look at my POTP shelf every day and think... did I really need that Jazz? Did I really need that Tailgate? Or even worse... why the hell did I buy that buff ass Screamer!! Same with Studio Series Crowbar and Starscream. I feel like I bought them just to buy them.. and that mindset is pretty dangerous.

- If you have an older line that you remember fondly as a kid, definitely collect that vs collecting new lines. It will make you way happier. I couldn't be more pleased looking at my Beast Wars shelf. It is glorious!!!

- Always, always (for ebay) wait it out. If you see someone selling a figure for more than its worth.. just wait. I made that mistake with my Omega Prime (2001). Paid somebody $200 for a complete set.. granted it was really nice but if I would have waited it out I probably could have found one cheaper... no I know I could have found one cheaper.

- More ebay advice. When you see a steal - go for it. Too many times I have saved stuff in watch list only to come back the next day and it be gone. Sometimes people really under value stuff on there and you can get some great deals. My best "steal" was a complete unbroken BW Scorponok for $30 free shipping. People literally pay 3x that for a similar figure.

- Put your personal needs in front of your Transformer collecting. Your landlord is not going to give a shit about your [insert grail here] when the rent comes due.