How do you like your Transformers cartoons - Humans vs No Humans

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by batfan007, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Do you prefer Humans or No Humans in Transformers cartoons?

Poll closed Oct 23, 2016.
  1. No humans at at all, no sir!

23.4%
  2. Humans in the stories yes please

3.1%
  3. Some humans here and there, but not the main focus

73.4%
  1. batfan007

batfan007 Double the Dragon

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Okay, if you're a fan of any Transformers animated TV show, any of them - which do you prefer:

*Humans in the stories
    *No humans (more focus on the the main Transformers / Cybertron etc)
    *Some humans here and there

2. jwarenec1

jwarenec1 Well-Known Member

Have them in there but not the main focus, or like the key to something in the finale. Feel like too many times the human or humanlike(Sari) ruined the ending by being too involved in the solution. I prefer the G1 mix where they were vulnerable sidekicks, if that makes sense

• Like Like x 1
  3. Honorbound

Honorbound The Working Hermit

However they're involved, I want it to make sense for the plot, and I want the humans in question to be well-executed characters in their own right. I don't have a problem with human characters in Transformers, I have a problem with bad characters, which can be human or Transformer.

4. Kataquan

Kataquan Transform and Rise Up!

If you take humans out of the equation, you lose all sense of scale with the characters. They go from being 40 foot tall giant robots to just robotic people

• Like Like x 2
  5. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

My feelings on them really depends on how well they're handled. If properly written, they can be great partners for the Autobots, not able to physically fight the 'Cons, but able to help out in their own ways. Sadly, it's rare for a version of TF to get them right, and they're usually either too powerful, or utterly useless. Plus, they have to be likeable, not insufferable comic relief. I'd say TF Cybertron, Animated and Rescue Bots does them best.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "No humans at at all, no sir!"

• Like Like x 1
  7. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Insert Clever Title Here

News Credits:
    I don't mind human characters but making them a "part of the team" or being "buddies" with Transformer characters gets really annoying really fast. Spike was definitely around in G1 and he was absolutely partnered with Bumblebee but not every episode featured him prominently, and even the ones he was (and Sparkplug, Carly, or Chip Chase) actually made sense and was integral to the plot. I have a hard time watching G1 anymore but I still LOVE Desertion of the Dinobots, which obviously heavily featured Spike and Carly. The human characters are a huge reason I strongly dislike most TF cartoons. In fact IMO G1 is the only cartoon which actually got it right most of the time, which is incredibly sad.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Weezie

Weezie Taking a break, back soon TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    No humans.

9. Darker

Darker The Lord of the Dark

News Credits:
    No humans, unless they're not worthless.

Professor Isaac Sumdac and (to an extent) Chip Chase are good examples of not-useless humans, that could help the Autobots in certain situations.

10. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    Humans were fine in G1 and Animated. Pre-humans were also fine in Beast Wars. They look awful in the Unicron trilogy, but I don't really know, because I never watched it. They weren't OK in Prime or RID 15, though I do think that a character like Denny works. Imagine a kooky recluse who lives in this scrap yard and thinks these giant robots that have moved in with him are just his imaginary friends. He bakes them cookies.

HOWEVER, we can't ignore that humans are shoved into Transformers stories because there is a belief that if there are no physical humans (never mind that almost all Transformers are just transforming robot humans), then people won't be as interested in the story. So when I see humans in a Transformers story, I see more of Hasbro worrying about the bottom line and less of a storyteller pouring his heart out, and that makes the story a little tainted, but it doesn't mean, like Animated showed, that it can't still be great.

Anyway, since my fanfic is not a business investment, there is no risk added by telling a story that doesn't have human bodies, and lo there are no human bodies in my fanfic.

• Like Like x 1
  11. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    I originally wanted to vote no humans at all, but decided that wasn't being fair. There needs to be stories that can highlight humans as both good and bad.

But it's debatable as to the level of impact they should have. I personally prefer that if humans appear in a TF story, their role should be minor or minimal.

12. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    No humans at all...

13. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Humans are fine as long as they actually "do something" and are not just there. That's way we need a Transformers/G.I. Joe show that way the humans won't be useless.

14. BumblebeeFan71

BumblebeeFan71 Loyal Starscream Follower

But don't forget, no humans at all doesn't automatically make Transformers media good either. Combiner Wars is proof of that, a terrible show and not a human in sight.

So it really depends on the quality of the writing. But yeah I do prefer more focus on the Transformers, while I like the movies I still get annoyed at how Sam hijacks the plot frequently in the original triology.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Rather not have humans at all. Heck, I rather have a setting off of Earth just to insure that.

16. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    If they're on Earth, humans are a must. My main complaint is that I don't want them to suck. Armada, Prime, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  17. batfan007

News Credits:
    So did you play the Fall of Cybertron or War for Cybertron games?

They were set exclusively on Cybertron and didn't have any issues with scale that I am aware of.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. batfan007

News Credits:

Yeah, the same reasoning gave us Robin to go with Batman. "We gotta have something for the kids" Then what the fuck were people reading the book for for 11 months BEFORE Robin existed.

It's a circular kind of nonsensical logic.

I think a better logic is have humans to add as drivers in the toys like Diaclone, I mean that makes more sense to me, and appeals to kids - the cartoons good or bad after all are about selling products.

19. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Except Robin blew the comic up 10 times huger than it already was. So that's not a great example for your argument.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout A face you can trust! Really!

Animated had the perfect balance of human involvement. Both as allies and enemies. That should be the standard.

Bat man before getting a sidekick?

And Human alliance was a great subline in idea and execution but that restricts all toys to being cars or small piloted vehicles. And that doesn't work for most of the deceptions.

• Like Like x 1