How do you know you're collecting too much?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ComicGuy89, Aug 24, 2011.

1. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is a question that's been bothering me. I'm beginning to wonder if I've been buying toys lately simply for the high that comes with them, rather than enjoying them for what they are. Most of my spending money goes to toys. The thing is, I have still kept myself financially secure (and more) despite what would seem to an outside Joe as excessive spending on toys, and my only problem is space. Especially here in the United States, Transformers aren't that expensive, and they often cost less than a night out with friends, or even dinner.

As such, I'd like to open the floor to you guys. How do you guys draw the line between collecting "for fun" and "that's becoming a little...too much"? When does it stop becoming a hobby and start becoming an addiction?

2. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I kinda went crazy buying TFs when the DOTM stuff hit the shelves. After months of nothing new on the shelves in my area, it was like a good rain after a drought. After the excitement died down, I went back to my rule of only buying G1/Classics/BW or certain characters, like Skywarp, Soundwave, and Optimus.

3. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

It's a problem when you're buying something without a specific purpose.

4. ComicGuy89

News Credits:
    But what's a specific purpose? You mean buying something you know you've wanted in advance versus buying something because it suddenly appeals to you emotionally and you make up a reason on the spot?

Because I don't know about you guys, but I often can come up with reasons for buying...even if they're on the spot, and those reasons can be very compelling.

5. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

When you have an entire room dedicated to your collection and you still don't have enough space to display them all. I'm there now and I look around feeling silly because of the boxes packed away in my closet and on the floor in my toy room in addtion to everything that's on the shelves. It's time for a serious sweep and sale...

6. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For me, I have come very close recently to switching from "fun, casual collector" to "hardcore, obsessive collector". I've been on a kick recently as I've discovered Classics and I am trying to save some money before they go out of print and the price gets jacked up.

My limiting factor is space. I literally have one large shelf for my toys and though I am considering a secondary shelf, I have no desire to amass the kind of collection that others have, i.e. one that spans mulitple display cases. So as I get new stuff, I have to think about what I have and whether it fits with what I am going for.

My problem: I like making little scenes on my shelf and if I grab one guy, I'm instantly hit with "this other guy will look so perfect beside him." E.g. Wheeljack needed Jazz they needed Thundercracker, Kup need Rodimus who needed Scourge who needed Cyclonus, etc, etc, etc.

7. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I'm not immune to impulse buys. I do make them on occassion (not as bad as before), but I typically try to figure out a well-thought purpose for any toy purchase, be it something for my focused collection or something that I could use for a kitbash. If it fits neither, I simply don't buy it.

8. ComicGuy89

News Credits:
    I have that problem too. Optimus doesn't look right without a Megatron and vice verse, Generations Wheeljack needs a foe, need to complete my Animated Autobot cast, etc...

Perhaps that there is what I need to do, to have a more focused purchasing pattern. I've already started, by avoiding movie toys for instance, but it's not easy.

9. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only way is to sell almost everything and only keep about 10% of the must haves, otherwise you will want everything that comes out. Lol I did that back and forth about 5 times already.

10. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

It's a blessing and a curse to be both a collector and customizer. You essentially have two mouths to feed.

11. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm thinking I'm out of the movie toyline myself BUT...Soundwave DLX looks so good that I think I'll just grab him and then move my little collection (maybe 10 figs) to the new shelf.

12. ComicGuy89

News Credits:
    Haha indeed, I'm probably going to pick up one or two (hopefully not more) from the DOTM line that look really good. I'm just not going to go completist on this one.

13. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    There is a difference between being a consumer and being a collector. Like dude posted a thread the other day asking if it was dumb for him to buy all the prime toys because he hasn't seen the show and doesn't like the toys...

In my collection, less is more. I have a grand total of 12 pieces on display atm. I just don't feel the need to buy everything in sight and when I do get something it's because I really, really like it. I realize by this board's standards I'm not even a collector. I have a collection, but I don't collect. what I mean by that is, I'm not trying to complete lines or worry about where something fits into my collection's theme or whatever I see so many worrying about with their collections. I buy pieces I love and want to look at. End of line.

14. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Known Member?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, the obvious "what is too much" is when you're toy collecting interferes with your other, required obligations (bills, rent, vehicle/mortage payments, etc.) and the ability to save any money at all and remain financially stable...

...You apparently don't have that problem, so to me it comes down to what you're personally comfortable with. Some people here do have toys boxed up in their closet/garage because they don't have the room to display everything. Others here feel when they no longer have room for stuff they want, it's time to start selling things they realize now that they're not so hot for after all. I guess just personally evaluate your collection and decide does not having room mean you have too much, or is that irrelevant and decide to display certain stuff at various times. Maybe cutting off the impulse buys is a good thing if you want to avoid spending too much regardless. You're in a rather enjoyable position, maintaining financial responsibilities while still being able to afford enough Transformers that you're starting to run out of room for them.

15. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:

To be honest that's the best way to do it without going way over board. Im starting to do the same now. Good thing too with so much new stuff coming out.

16. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I think you know you are collecting to much when you look at figures and are like, why the hell do I have this guy.

I personally buy only Classics/MP/Alternators/3rd Party stuff fitting one of the previous 3 categories. Assure I have what I really want.

Occasionally I will see a cool figure but I won't pick it up cause I know I won't do anything with it later.

17. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    My feelings exactly! :lol  I get that sometimes, and that's when I know I have to dump things!

18. tb-1599

tb-1599 Well-Known Member

I realized I was kinda having that issue when I moved recently. At first all I was collecting was Starwars stuff. Then I started collecting Transformers. THEN the new Tron movie came out. The next thing I know I was collecting that also. So after I moved and I started to unpack I realized I had one to many collections going on. I knew I was only buying tron stuff just because it was the latest thing out. So except for my framed movie poster and my 3 identity disks. I sold off my entire tron collection to thin it out...

19. ScottyP

ScottyP Got The Touch

News Credits:
    If you have to wonder "Am I buying too many Transformers?", then you're buying too many Transformers.

20. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

agreed.

buying doubles is not uncommon for kitbashers but it helps during dry spells. sometimes i feel like its also an excuse not to leave the store empty handed. if i can't find something i want i proceed to something i can chop up and customize.

back to the topic at hand, when i start buying the entire line even the fugly ones, i know i've gone too far. i have maybe one or two impulse buys.