How do you feel about the IDW Original Characters

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Maximus Danz, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    New characters should only be added when an existing character cannot work in their place. There are many new characters that could not have simply been switched for an existing character.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Swerve

Swerve Well-Known Member

I think it was a good idea that sort of escalated too far.
    Shock and Ore, Hyperion, Polaris, etc etc- I'd rather have generic OCs as the names on the casualty list, for characters that only exist to die, than an existing character who could be better used. I adored the Furman "Optimus Prime/Outback" team in the "Prey" arc, enough that I remember finding out that the Outback toy was a perfect fit for Powermaster Optimus' trailer cargo section, and playing having him as Prime's ongoing sidekick with the toys, back in the day, so I was disappointed to see Spotlight Kup just use Outback as a one-note joke/dead bit of scenery. On the other hand, of course, if it had been "Mudguardhumper the OC", then the shot would have had less impact, so it's a bit of a cleft stick.

Meanwhile, to an extent, the use of named OCs in minor roles or not so minor ones appears to have been intentional 'camouflage' for Rung, to make him not stick out quite so noticeably in those lovely early stages when Roberts was happy to show and imply that Rung's innocuous irrelevance might mean he was more important than he looked. I can see that there were good reasons for Rung to be an OC- although really, wouldn't the TF continuity have been spectacularly enhanced if it had been Huffer...

In turn, in Dark Cybertron, having Mary-Windsueblade showing up felt a bit less like a completely out of left-field toy plug (shockingly unprecedented in the franchise that would have been, of course) by having her accompanied by two others of her race as a team, Chromia and Nautica (although how come the only one of the three with a bearable personality is the one who didn't get a toy?).

Whilst Velocity and Riptide have cool designs, however, their level of prominence seemed oddly too high- wouldn't it have been nice to see, say, First Aid and Groove or someone get that kind of character development?

By late season two or "Lost Light", of course, such subtlety and misdirection was a moot point since by that point, Rung might as well have been walking round under a big flashing neon sign, held up by a Generation Two coloured Titan on each side, with big arrows pointing at him and the message "Don't look at me!" written on it, whilst topless cyber-valkyries sat on his shoulders singing "Just a background character, not important at all!" out of tune. Such were the levels of breathtaking subtlety to which "Lost Light" aspired in the end.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Sparx94

Sparx94 Well-Known Member

Drift is the only OC I like, though I didn't care much for the 2015 RID version.. When the Windblade series first came out, I found her an interesting character. Then it became 'Windblade here, Windblade there'. It seemed like the writers were slowly trying to make her Optimus Prime's replacement. Then (spoiler) when the Till All Are One Annual came out and she became ruler of Cybertron? I could have flung the book across the room.
    As for Aileron, I haven't gotten around to finishing the Optimus Prime series yet, but it seems like they were trying to make a star out of her, too. Didn't care for her.

4. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    Aside from maybe Drift (and that probably has as much to do with Guido's design fitting in so seamlessly that you almost can't believe he didn't already exist, while being a totally unique transformation for a diaclone-car equivalent as anything, compared to most of the OC character designs that are just so crazy off-brand and left field - and of course, they ruined that design in MTMTE):
    oh-look-its-trash.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  5. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Nautica had a toy.
    [​IMG]

6. Swerve

Swerve Well-Known Member

Ok, I want whoever pushed Blurr into the vat of Ribena to own up right now!

7. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    While I fully support the idea of reviving obscure nobodies (or near-nobodies), in the end my liking or disliking of a character is linked to their role in the story. So my opinions on someone like Drift wouldn't be wildly different if he was named/styled after someone who had a toy 15 years prior. So there are new characters I'm really into, those I dislike, and those I'm indifferent to - just like characters from any era.

I think the only time new characters can be a bit of a downer is when it comes to character death. If it's a "someone's going to die" situation, you get the feeling that that author's new characters are not quite at the same level of risk. And that's not a damning of the author's really - who WOULD make an all-new character just to have them die to the monster of the week unceremoniously? This was maybe my biggest issue with LL at the end - it billed itself as a bit of a "anyone can die" series, but as time went on it became clearer and clearer who was exempt from that. And to be fair, it wasn't just Roberts' new characters that were "safe" - it was the whole "main team" generally. Although to be fair, there is very little fiction where "anyone can die" literally means everyone.

I think there is something that can be said for the designs of the new characters though. I loved a lot of the new characters for their designs, even if the story they were in wasn't my favorite. Milne's DJD, Stone's Windblade, and Zama's Rum-maj are just cool designs to me, period. I also loved the little touches of when artists made designs with the ability to be made into toys in mind. Guido, Milne and Griffith were really good at that in my memory.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Grimus prime

Grimus prime Member

In my honest opinion, they should’ve just used obscure characters who never get any spotlight. Why? It’s simple.

Transformers in terms of cast is, and I stretch for posterity, BLOATED! G1, Beast wars, Unicorn Trilogy, movie-verse, doesn’t matter. Every single continuity has one or more characters, subgroups, and factions that never got any official screen time outside of comics. Having original characters just inflates the numbers and overly complicates things.

But hey, what do I know? I’m just a nobody spouting nonsense.

• Like Like x 1
  9. supernova222

supernova222 junkion

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    a large amount of them i wound up liking and finding myself wanting to see them more so they are doing something right lol

my favs are: drift, windblade, rung, tarn, nautica, riptide, rum-maj, swift, stardrive, Gauge , heratech, roller, necrobot, proxima, lightbright,

im blanking right now on any others

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like most of them when something interesting or new is done with them.

11. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Windblade was a toy before she appeared in the comics. She was designed as part of a Fan Choice by Hasbro for a new toy. IDW had no part in her creation. Of course, her inclusion in the comics was simply to hype up the new toy to the point that some fans mistook her for an original IDW character.

• Like Like x 1