How do you feel about the IDW Original Characters

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Maximus Danz, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Atharun18999

Atharun18999 Xantium Pilot

A lot of them are meh, some are ok, and then there's the self insert Rung who I do not like at all.

• Like Like x 2
  2. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    I liked Rung for the most part. I liked Nautica a lot. I found the DJD very interesting. Drfit V1 was super obnoxious, but V2 being a bit of a flaky spirtualist had its charm. Other than that... None of them made much of an impression on me.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    IDW struggled a lot when it came to OC's with a handful of exceptions.

A lot of them weren't that great as they were but I think in the hands of better writers / creators they could be so much better. IDW's first run at a TF universe had a lot of great ideas that were poorly utilized / explored.

IDW2's original characters so far are far too bland to leave any impact.

• Like Like x 3
  4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    The problem I always have with writer OCs when it comes to Transformers is that they rarely feel like they do something a pre-existing character does not, and so come across as pointless. Or they're simply self-inserts, like Rung. Neither one of these situations is necessarily bad, but it can be obnoxious and feel less like the story is organically about the pre-existing characters and more about a series of mouthpieces for the author. I will say none of IDW's OCs really stuck with me.

The best OCs are the ones that serve a clear purpose from the get go. I actually liked Rung a lot from the start because he was a character that didn't really exist in Transformers, but his overbearing "look how insignificant he is get it it's the opposite of most OCs" and reveal that he's literally Primus was just too cringey to bear. :lol 

• Like Like x 10
  5. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Haunting Your Nightmares in HD

I like some of them, can't speak on all of them. I was fine with the Primus reveal for Rung but I can see why some people wouldn't really like it. (personally, if any character was revealed to be Primus it should have been Rodimus.)

Stardrive and Nautica are probably my favorites out of the bunch.

• Like Like x 2
  6. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Watch for waspies

When they were drawn by Milne, they were amazing. Loved all of his original designs. Less of a fan of the later additions in Lost Light, Anode and Lug in particular felt tacked on to the story.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Swerve

Swerve Well-Known Member

Said Rodimus. ;) 

• Like Like x 2
  8. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    They're mostly the same as the not-original characters that were just really obscure and/or had no prior fictional presence like Swerve, Whirl, or Tailgate, or not as obscure characters that had complete revamps like Fort Max. In the end they were all new characters but their names dictated much of how people viewed them.

• Like Like x 2
  9. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Sorry, I just look very gouda. That was cheesy.

I was never a fan of adding ocs to the franchise. Transformers has hundreds of characters, use them. Don't create more characters, work with what we got. Especially Roberts' ocs, there are way too many of them. I love when a character is reinvented and Roberts' did that well.
    But, for the ocs. I think the only memorable ones were Drift, Tarn and Rung, everyone else I either didn't read much about or didn't care much about.

• Like Like x 3
  10. SpiderMunky

SpiderMunky Half-spider, half-munky

They're great! It's nice to have the comics not limited to the characters from the toyline, or to use obscure toy characters that didn't get love in the past. Most of my favorite IDW characters have been the ones whose personalities were made for the comics whole-cloth.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Ghostimus

Ghostimus Well-Known Member

Tarn (the rest of the DJD had potential as another member said, but wasn't utilized), some of the Scavengers, Tyrest and Pharma.

Oh, and Pyra Magna, along with the awesome mistress of flame.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Longitudinalwave

Longitudinalwave A Big Fan of (Sound/Shock)wave

I like Rung. Mainly because he's the first psychologist in the franchise.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Jacdoprime

Jacdoprime Probably being bored

I think idw really developed many of the characters, making them enjoyable to read. That would be why I like most of the original characters, such as nautical, tarn, rung, etc.

14. KJ_81

KJ_81 The Fourth Datsun Brother

Ratchet x Drift. A Ratchet whose already been retconned into being far, far older than he was intended to be in the -Ations. It's just... It fundamentally doesn't...it's not... just NO.

Roberts had done an admirable job turning Drift into an actual character, and a reasonably decent one at that. But that as the pay-off for what both those characters went through in the entire continuity is just; it just falls flat on its face for me, and manages to insult fans of both characters, who deserve better than this, after all this time.

• Like Like x 1
  15. UKBrawn

UKBrawn No arms just CLAWS!!

I liked Drift, Rung, the actual characterisation of some of the other G1 crew which basically made them OCs. (Like Galvatron, Skids, Swerve etc for instance).
    The writers did a great job with a lot of them and the DJD were a fun idea.

Pretty much the rest I have 0 attachment to. I remember getting to the point when it seemed Prime was just getting whinged at by Pyra Magnus, Mistress of the Flame, Windblade and Aileron (*sp) etc etc and the characters I was actually bothered about were just moving boxes about in the background or something.

To be honest the whole angry colonist thing and the moany "drama" OCs that came with it pretty much killed IDW for me. I was just holding onto the hope Prowl would nuke Caminus and finally unite the Autobots and Decepticons in peace out of the joy of never listening to a Camien whine ever again.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 What to type here?

News Credits:
    Transformers has nigh-limitless characters to choose from.... And what did Roberts do? Add in a bunch of one-note fanfic OCs.

• Like Like x 7
  17. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Kinda liked Aileron and that's it.

Kinda. The others I can't even actively dislike. They're floating somewhere there along with Turmoil and as memorable.

18. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Like others said, it's about the same as any other Transformers media, some are forgotten, some really shined. I was happy to see Nautica and Lightbright return for the second IDW-verse, and I'm sure there's IDW-1 characters I can't even remember.

19. CaioSilvatheScreamerFan

CaioSilvatheScreamerFan Destron New Leader

Facebook:
    In IDW 1.0 i remember not thinking much about Drift when reading AHM, i don´t recall his Spotlight ever showing why he was a Decepticon, he just simply defected to the Autobots and i was "meh" about it, never read post-AHM stuff to know if he ever got fleshed out.
    Currently in IDW 2.0 there´s Gauge and she is the protagonist of what i think is the worst Galaxies story, amnesia, no nuance, ham fisted message, like, if they actually made Arcee and Greenlight nuanced characters who aren´t always right then maybe it could have landed, but they aren´t and neither is Gauge, with the Reversionists being complete :mad:  it all fell very flat.

20. SuperSunnyDee

SuperSunnyDee Sense is like cheesecake.

I like them okay. Some of them I like a lot. Yeah it’s a bit frustrating to see new characters when there’s so many old ones that don’t get any attention, or are just waiting for a strong personality to be given to them. But it’s just nice to see some new faces mixed in with old, and can appreciate a writer wanting to make a wholly new character when a name slap can just be more fan service than anything sometimes.