How do you feel about the 86 movie from a critical standpoint?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by DarkRed401, Sep 28, 2018.

1. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

Chalk it up to the damage Galvatron sufferers from being tossed out of Unicron and then landing in the lava pool.

2. Judgment Day

Judgment Day Energon Extractor No.533

About Welker's Galvatron: Would people prefer if he was more akin to the voice he (briefly) provided in the commercial when the toy was launched. Very different and more "in control" vs the Galvatron we ended up with. And the only reference I believe where Megatron voices Galvatron by name...for whatever that's worth.

As far as the movie is concerned, it can be taken from so many angles, both in hindsight, the re-release back in October, and if you saw it during the initial launch date back in 1986. Literal sense, it's never winning any awards, but I'm not sure if anyone was expecting it to. It's a kids movie/commercial that literally had to be followed by watching the series beforehand. Otherwise, you'd get lost inside of 10 minutes asides from the basic "who's good/who's evil" moniker. It's not a good movie to show as a launching point for anyone just getting into the series during 1986 or today. That being said, you don't think about that too much when you're 8-10 years old...especially in the action packed era of 80s syndication television.

To be honest, I'm really surprised parents took anyone younger than 8 to see this movie. Back then (excluding the obvious X-Rated movies), there were G rated movies, PG, and R. That was it. No middle ground, no PG-13 or anything to that effect. Back in 86, PG was in the context where you knew you would get something edgier, stronger language, and more violent, and by 80s standards, TFTM got the PG rating here in the states. And maybe it was because I was older, but the commercials totally gave away the fact that Prime was getting killed off, so I was pretty much expecting it. "Does Prime Die?" "Well it doesn't help if you shoot him on screen...!" I thought. But that's another story for another time.

I look at it today and know that I'm not judging it like Beowulf from a script or animation standpoint (which was good compared to other episodes beforehand). I'm also not painting it with a brush of revisionist history 32 1/2 years later out of its almost 35 year lifespan of what Transformers has eventually become. It's a total nostalgia kick of the nexus of my childhood with flaws that I can cast aside for the most part.

3. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

That would’ve worked for me