How do you feel about the 86 movie from a critical standpoint?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by DarkRed401, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    Excuse me but how does it "eviscerate" established canon? It couldn't possibly do it worse than Bays movies, which contradict each other horribly.

2. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    It retcons in the Matrix, mysticism, AND establishes death in Cybertronians which runs counter to the very first damn episode of the cartoon.

That's just the stuff off the top of my head, I'm sure I can come up with more if I take time, which I don't have here at work.

3. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

Eviscerates Established canon?
    Don’t you think that’s overkill?

The worse the film did to canon was introduce the matrix

• Like Like x 1
  4. Primeultra

Season 3 retconed the matrix
    The film just introduces it with not mention to when Optimus got it

Mysticism?Maybe a bit, but not much, it was only with the idea of “a chosen one” and even that could have been written off as a mythology

Cybertronians deaths don’t run counter to the Series at all, sure we never saw a death before the film, but the idea that they could die or be destroyed was in ntroduced in the first episodes

Please

5. Blam320

News Credits:
    The very first episode barely established anything. Or would you like to also complain about how Beast Wars retconned "Stasis Lock" into the G1 cartoon, to explain why the bots and cons were able to be rebuilt and reactivated?

6. lordsmurf

lordsmurf Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    My main issue is the music, sometime the sound effects. It could have been better. Some parts are fine as is, but most are not. But realize I've never liked some tracks, not since 86. This isn't a hindsight thing for me.

Deaths were too glossed over, too quick.
    Some bots seem out of character in terms of power to harm each other. And kill.

Overall, animation and story are fine.
    The movie would have been better if 2.5 hours, just needed more time to flesh out some things.

My issue with the voice work is the drastic changes between screen and S3 TV. That was poor planning on their part, and (for example) Leonard Nimoy didn't fit at all into that character. Nor did Robert Stack.

7. Primeultra

I’m not sure how you can call it “bad planning”

Maybe bad choices

But I would disagree with that, I felt Leonard and Robert were perfect for those roles

8. lordsmurf

Twitter:
    Bad planning = they surely knew voice actors would change from movie to S3. So why were there drastic differences in how each was portrayed? Or change at all? (meaning not using big-name expensive actors, use regular voice actors instead)

It just seems as if no planning was done at all.

9. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Banned

I never understood Frank welkers galvatron. He could have approximated nimoy.

10. lordsmurf

Twitter:
    I don't think the movie and TV series folks ever talked, which is why we had some odd retconning and unexplained changes, even when ignoring the obvious drastic voice changes. Is Sunbow to blame here, or Hasbro?

Honestly, I liked Welker's take better anyway. More insane Megatron, not as pitchy, though maybe still too Megatron. Nimoy sounds too much like an old man robot, somebody evil from Kup's generation.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TheUltimateBum

TheUltimateBum Nautica Lover

Personally, I felt the celebrities they brought for the movie were kind of a mixed bag (Leonard Nimoy was good, but I can't see him fitting the completely insane Galvatron as well as Frank Welker did). I thought the G.I. Joe movie pulled off the celebrity casting better.

I feel Judd Nelson in particular is extremely overrated as Hot Rod and Rodimus. He just sounds a bit bland, especially when you compare it to Dick Gautier, who had more to work with and really made the character more relatable, at least to me.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  12. Cosbydaf

Cosbydaf Well-Known Member

That's interesting, because to me I always thought Nimoy's Galvatron (comparatively) sounded younger and rejuvenated. As a kid I assumed Megatron was among the older Transformers, and being reformatted brought him back to prime condition (no pun intended).

13. Primeultra

Portrayed?
    Or the different sounds of voices?

Aside from galvatron, who’s different portrayal is explained in the story, I see no difference in how amagnus was portrayed

And of course there was planning, the planning was indeed to use the “so called” big names, do drawn in sales

That was the plan, knowing full well that things would be different in the continuing series

It’s not a rare thing when tv shows go to film, or vice versa when film come to tv, different actors and settings

Has nothing to do with a lack of planning, it’s just how it is

Getting the “big named actors” at all proves they planned it from the start

14. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Why would he? Welkers Galvatron was an insane lunatic. Nimoy on the other hand was Megatron with pushed up all his buttons

15. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Banned

Welkers galvatron is just so high pitched. He coulda taken it like a 5th lower and I wouldn't find it so grating.

I mean I'm used to it now, but I just feel like welkers galvatron voice is just not on the money. Even for "Looney Tooney Galvatroonie".

• Like Like x 1
  16. G1Prowl

News Credits:
    Yes, exactly. It also takes a shit on how the Combaticons were created, honestly.

17. Blam320

News Credits:
    I still can’t believe you’re making such a huge deal about a campy Eighties TV show and movie whose sole purpose was to sell toys. It isn’t like Michael Bay, who thinks we’re all somehow caveman-levels of dumb and will let huge plot holes go unnoticed.

18. Nelomaxwell

Nelomaxwell I gave you power

It wasn't as good as I remember but I first saw it at like 6 years old.

19. Primeultra

How?
    I don’t see how that teams origin is effected by anything in the 86 film or season 3

20. G1Prowl

News Credits:
    You could say that about EVERY one of the series made so far, except for the 80's part. However, try saying that bout Beast Wars. I've done it, the response was every bit as fanboy as you could imagine.

Look at how quickly the Cybertronians "died" in the Movie, now contrast that to how they were in the pilot after the crash, OR how the Combaticons were basically thumb drives in a desk drawer til Starscream stole them. There's a double standard as far as what can or cannot kill a Cybertronian, and the Movie only muddied the waters.