How do you feel about the 86 movie from a critical standpoint?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by DarkRed401, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would love a modern rendition

2. Rockdown

Rockdown Dream Commander

Ebay:
    Despite the flaws I still love that film. It was action packed, it sparked emotional reactions in me and it introduced some legendary robots like Kup, Magnus and Galvatron.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    download.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  4. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

As I've said before, I've come to realize as an adult that the original cartoon series was not the masterpiece that I thought it was when I was a child. But even as an adult, I love the animated movie as is. I realize it's not perfect. But I wouldn't make any major changes to the story. The only change that I would make are that I would've made Skywarp become Cyclonus, and Reflector would've became the three sweeps.

5. FanboyX

FanboyX is a real boy

Critically its a giant mess. Blaster just disappears after Galvatron attacks Autobot City. Its rushed and derivative - especially of Star Wars - and relies entirely too much on the strength of its own brand, but it was an 80's kids movie so whatever.

Personally, its the most fun I can have in 80 minutes that doesn't require the participation of another consenting adult.

6. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Banned

Well, it was goid

7. PaxStarkist

PaxStarkist BAY-TALITY

Me neither. I honestly thought it was the other way around.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    its a fun 80s romp with cool fight scenes, voice acting, dialogue and music. none of the bay movies had any of that.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Scoff

Scoff Well-Known Member

It's silly but it's silly fun with good fight scenes, enjoyable dialogue and awesome music. It's an 80's film, basically.

10. LightningBlade3

LightningBlade3 Destined to be a Prime

News Credits:
    Honestly, it's one of the few movies from my childhood that I can't look at without nostalgia glasses; I just love it too much. The only thing that I don't like about it are certain elements from it that have become cliches in later series.

11. SMS55

SMS55 Well-Known Member

It was 1986, it absolutely couldn't have.

• Like Like x 6
  12. SMS55

SMS55 Well-Known Member

The basic story is fine. It's the coming up of the hero. However, it was a 90 minute toy commercial and not done very well. The characters which for two seasons we loved and were the reason we went to see it, were almost all dead within the first 20 minutes of the film. We have all these characters like Ultra Magnus, Kup, Blur etc. who we're supposed to just accept as if they were always part of the cartoons for the last two years. We get Brawn who dies from a shot to the shoulder but Kup gets his arm and leg ripped off and survives. Ultra Magnus gets blown to pieces but the Junkions can put him back together, meanwhile, it occurs to no one to bring back Optimus.

13. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

Chest actually, and it blew right out his back

14. Saberblade

Saberblade Seek and Destroy

Ebay:
    I didn’t like the fact they killed off most of the Season 1 Autobots without giving them a fighting chance.

But at the end of the day, it was a marketing decision and promoting the new toys

15. Lacimehc

Lacimehc Tastes like medicine

I honestly enjoy the movie a lot even though I wouldn't really consider it to be a good film. I didn't grow up with G1 and a lot of the original cartoon comes of as a bit boring to me, but the film just has this sense of stupid fun.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SMS55

SMS55 Well-Known Member

The shot is to the shoulder. Then when he falls it looks like it went through his chest because of the damage on the backside where the windshield is. It was poorly animated.

17. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

its difficult to see because of the square shape of his body, but shot is to his upper chest near the near where his chest meets his shoulder

But there’s a thick “trim” section that decides chest from shoulder and the shot hits at the trim

It also seem to either have 2 exist points or caused an internal explosion as there is one site on his lower chest and back on which you can see the beam and smoke

upload_2018-12-10_9-23-23.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  18. EmceeDel

EmceeDel Well-Known Member

This is the only thing from G1 animation that I like. Classic first half hour, and a solid finale. It's not a better movie than the 2007 (or BB from what I'm hearing), but it's better than it has any right to be for a long toy commercial.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Furnace

Furnace Ant-droid at a picnic

If nothing else, The Movie had some excellent character-driven dialogue. I'm thinking of the exchange between Unicron and Megatron, the two locked in a verbal battle of wits, with Megatron being outflanked on every front. It really makes Unicron feel big, especially with Megatron having been established as a grave threat in his own right.

20. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Basically it's a plodding mess that eviscerates established canon for the sake of selling toys and aping Star Wars simultaneously. I sort of treat it like Super Dimensional Fortress Macross: Do you remember love? insofar as it's basically a parallel series of events. THEN I read the Marvel G1 and get my mind right. THEN I chase it with RID 1.0 to remind myself of what fun fiction is like.