How do you feel about the 86 movie from a critical standpoint?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by DarkRed401, Sep 28, 2018.

1. DarkRed401

DarkRed401 Well-Known Member

I haven't seen the movie in years so after watching it again yesterday I've released its really not a good movie, the best transformers movie but still not a good movie, most of the soundtrack is OK with a few really good parts and a few super obnoxious parts. Visual wise I thought unicorns transformation and the scene where galvatron reveals himself with the matrix from the dark. The story is a mess, it constantly dragged, it didn't know what characters it wanted to focus on, and there's to much unnecessary scenes. I feel like The film is held back because it has to be toy commercial. Characters like kup, arcee, and blur don't progress the plot but I constantly taking up screen time. I think one problem was that it had to many characters to work with. Did anyone else feel similar after not seeing it in so long, I know it wasn't meant to be a great movie but it's given a lot of uneccasary praise

• Like Like x 3
  2. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

I recently re-watched it in its Integrity after not doing so for a very long time, And I found myself thinking almost the exact opposite that you feel in fact I felt it was better than I originally thought at least as far as cartoon films

I felt most of the soundtrack was great, particularly when you consider a large portion of it came from artists that are not very well known at the time,

Visually I felt unicrons transformation scene was fantastic and epic in nature, the scene where galvatron reveals himself with matrix from the dark was well done and fit the mood of the film

I felt story was pretty good and proceeded at a fare pace, although maybe the actual dialog could have had been improved.

I felt it did a good job at focusing on the characters that needed o be focused on, and the only unnecessary scene may have been the dance scene

I can see why people might feel they had too many characters to work with but I think they did a fair job of giving them all enough character to stand out as individuals, Except maybe the two lieutenants of Galvatron

Granted my criticism is based on what you normally be expected from these type of things in that era,unlike today cartoon films weren’t expected to be good in any sense, But that’s not to say there are a few gems

• Like Like x 3
  3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    From a critical standpoint, it's awful.

From a personal standpoint, it's awful.

• Like Like x 7
  4. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    It was a great movie, but it could have done without all the cheesy rock-songs.
    Altough I can't imagine it without them now.
    Also the existence of the Junkions is kind of random and I don't know if the movie was the place to introduce the Quintessons.
    They feel random too, while they were used with sooo much better effect in season three.

• Like Like x 2
  5. DarkRed401

DarkRed401 Well-Known Member

you have some good points, also i meant to compliment unicrons transformation scene and the scene with galvatron hiding in the dark, after reading your comment i looked back at what i said and i realized that i forget to mention why i brought those two up

• Like Like x 1
  6. popcorn

popcorn Well-Known Member

I personally can't look at it critically. To me it's a total trip. Being an 80s metal head I dig the soundtrack. Come on and release it with Heavy Metal 81 as a double feature!

• Like Like x 4
  7. Heliblade

Heliblade Autobot Vigilante of Kaon

From a purely critical standpoint, its a bad movie. Its a toy commercial with an extremely thin plot and Unicron is very much a generic doomsday villain.

But at the same time its a lot of fun, it has a charm to it and its very easy to sit through. I enjoyed it much more than any of the bayformer sequels.

• Like Like x 8
  8. Ambrojh

Ambrojh Well-Known Member

The movie sucked, but for some reason I will occasionally watch it. The movie killed the G1 line, the film went against everything what made transformers popular and stood for. There are some cool moments in the film, unicron converting megatron and crew. The fight between prime and megatron started off great, but ending fing poorly. Devastator vs dinobots minus one was crap. Imo the only good thing about the film was Galvatron, Cyclonus, Scorge, Kup, Blurr, and Ultra Magnus.

9. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    For a kid's movie, its fine. I think its one of the few Hasbro movies that are entertaining to watch.

It tries to be a little more gruesome, dark and hardcore. Cuz guess what kiddies? War is hell!

The cast aside from Kup, Arcee and Cyclonus just wasn't a great replacement.

The new villain had a great voice, but otherwise was just so-so.

The Junkions were annoying.

Hot Rod/Rodimus was too try-hard.

There were some moments that fell flat, like Grimlock wanting to hear stories about petro rabbits under enemy fire and the dinobots didn't seem to give a rat's ass that a bunch of their comrades just bit the dust. That's kinda cold.

Why did Soundwave let Screamer ditch Megatron like a sack of rotten potatoes when he's always been so loyal?

Where did Jazz go?

The dance party was dumb.

Scourge and Springer are just...there. They don't contribute anything.

Ultra Magnus is a bore. He's a fairly competent one at least.

The soundtrack is pretty good. Although we coulda done without Dare to be Stupid and personally I find Dare and You Got the Touch to be so-so. The instrumental parts were very good too.

The animation is fun and looks nice.

The Quints are legitimately unlikeable. Creating an unlikeable villain for all the right reasons seems to be harder to do, I think.

The action is fast paced.

All plot points converged in a timely manner.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    If we wanted to be completely objective, it’s not the best. The plot is very generic and doesn’t have much support. The main characters are voiced by an all-Star cast with some great performances, yet they get the bare minimum of of development, while many supporting members are forced to wait until Season 3 of the cartoon for their chance in the spotlight. The soundtrack is very good and appropriately placed in the first half of the movie, while the back half doesn’t fit the scenes they’re played in. I personally would have swapped “Hunger” and “Fortunate Ones” places. The animation is stunning, and the whole movie is visually spectacular. But that doesn’t make up for the rather lackluster story.

But, we’re human. It’s impossible to be completely objective about it. This film is a defining moment in the childhoods of many, and is overall a fun, cheesy yet charming mid-80s flick based on a popular toy line. The focus on the Transformers themselves is great, considering how they’re relegated to plot instruments and background violence in the recent Live Action series. It represents a pivotal moment in the franchise, when Hasbro’s out-of-touch marketing failed to account for just how popular the characters, especially Optimus Prime, had become.

It’s easy to watch, and while they seemed to love their eye-searing engine flame effects, it strikes a balance between simple and readable designs and technical details that the newer movies go overboard on.

I enjoy it. It’s one of those movies like the original Star Wars that you can watch again and again and still have fun with it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Galvatross

Galvatross Mask-free zone Veteran

It's not my favorite as a cinematic movie.

When viewed as a series of episodes of the original cartoon, it's hugely enjoyable. The animation is fantastic, despite the errors like the television show. It sold many new toys.

When viewed as the earliest shake-up in the brand's history, it's fantastic. The war was no longer playground-like fights over Energon; there were deadly consequences. It introduces Unicron, the Satan character of Transformers who is the size of a planet. It shakes up the leadership and rank-and-file members of both factions. It introduces the Quintessons and Junkions. It wasn't just a war story, but a sci fi fantasy adventure, which is when I like Transformers best. Whether one likes it or not, it attempted to be beyond good, beyond evil, beyond your wildest imagination, and that's something that I enjoy immensely.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Wheelz

Wheelz Well-Known Member

My biggest issues were the stupid dance scene, cheesy rock songs, Megatron being dumping and the other Deceptions fighting over leadership, and Wheelie.

• Like Like x 2
  13. LightningBlade3

LightningBlade3 Destined to be a Prime

News Credits:
    If I were to make a top 10 best movies list, the 86 movie would not be on it. But if I were to make a top 10 favorite movies list, you bet it'll be in at least the top 5.

• Like Like x 2
  14. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I think it's a perfectly structured and paced kids' movie. It has relentless forward momentum throughout.

As an adult, I would never try to show it to a friend who wasn't already a fan. Or at least a fan of animation. But as a piece of children's entertainment, it's better constructed and executed than 6 out of the 8 numbered Star Wars movies released so far. Yeah, that's right, I said it's better than Return of the Jedi.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    it's very bad.

16. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    In hindsight, I can definitely see it was just one big theatrical feature length toy commercial. Growing up, I saw the characters I loved getting killed off (which was kind of shocking since most of these characters seem to take worse hits in the TV series) and it bothered me but now as an adult, I can see they were just clearing out the characters whose toys were discontinued to make room for newer ones whose toys were just now hitting toy shelves.

Also growing up, I had no idea that the death of Optimus Prime led to such a fan backlash until I finally saw the stories online and how that lead to the Return of Optimus Prime. Does kind of make me wonder what the point of Dark Awakening might have been. After the fan reaction, that had to be seen as kind of a rubbing salt in the wound move.

But when it comes to other aspects of the movie:

I did love the 80s rock soundtrack. I love cheesy 80s rock music and this movie had plenty of it. Also Vince Dicola did a fantastic job scoring the movie. I still get chills just listening to some of his scoring from the Death of Optimus Prime to Autobot City Battle and even Starscream's Coronation. But my favorite part of the score was "2005" the part that played during the "It is the year 2005" opening. I still have the original soundtrack and Vince DiCola score in rotation in my player.

Voice acting, now that I am older, I think all the voice actors did a great job and none of them seemed too out of place in hindsight. I know it was reported that Orson Wells did have regret about the movie right before he passed away, but I don't know if I could think of anyone at the time who could have done a better job.

Animation wise, hell yea, it's better than the TV series and its beautifully done as well. I loved the shots of Autobot City and look out mountain but you could definitely see some spots where it took a step back like the disappearing cracks and damage on Optimus Prime during the "NEVER" shot

Story wise, it was decent for what it was: again a feature length toy commercial. The script did a good job making a point the Autobots were low on Energon and leading to a possible explanation why so many Autobots died when it looked like they took worse hits in the TV show. Story stayed consistent after that and even introducing Junk and Quintessa didn't feel like they were crammed in as an after thought, and the final battle wrapped up the story nicely I thought. I also have to agree, while I love some Wierd Al, the dance party scene was just a little too weird. They are in the middle of a crises, Ultra Magnus just died, a huge dance party number just seemed so out of place. I know our characters could have needed a moral boost at this moment and you don't want to insult the hosts, but the dance party seemed too much. But the "Talk Some TV" and putting Magnus back together fine. That's something else. Magnus got freaking BLOWN APART yet one shot took out Prowl.

Overall, I will say the animated movie had a much more consistent story and feel than any of the Bayverse movies post the first 2007 movie.

I remember some of those reports of early drafts of the movie script having some differently played out scenes with some of the past characters getting more screen time and not being killed off as quick and some actually surviving. I know there is zero chance of seeing these drafts get animated, but I'd love to see IDW maybe turning this into a comic mini-series if there was enough material.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  17. popcorn

popcorn Well-Known Member

Man just got a say for a Franchise movie it went pro and anti franchise at the same time!

18. Ambrojh

Ambrojh Well-Known Member

The story is a rip off, hey marvel, we are going to make Galatus a transformer, and we have our version of the ultimate nulifer, called the matrix.

19. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    Poor plot with maguffins, annoying side characters, complete waste of beloved characters just to bring in new ones for a quick buck, corny dialogue. Kickass soundtrack though.

Huh, Bay was quite faithful to the franchise's roots after all. What's everyone's problem with his movies, again?

• Like Like x 8
  20. Ricky Spanish

Ricky Spanish Shingo No-Prize

The problem with it for me is had an edge and came off the back of two seasons of a often cartoonish show. Those episodes often had daft plots and featured the very characters they cull at the start of the film. Kids went to see Optimus, Wheeljack,Ironhide, Brawn and Bumblebee etc in their 'biggest adventure yet' but they are ruthlessly slaughtered in the first act.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 1