How do you feel about Drift

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Sideswipe80, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Super Lazuli

Super Lazuli Active Member

This would've been so much better if it was Skywarp getting pushed.

2. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

To be fair "former Decepticon who changed sides" is a pretty basic, acceptable character concept. The idea of the bad-guy who can change his ways is a strong message for children.

Bringing the mass-murder thing into it is already ridiculous, because then you'd have to address that aspect of the Decepticons on the whole, which is also not appropriate for a kids' book. Also, being a kids book, it really doesn't matter if it's boiling down 25 years of iconic Transformers characters. They're kids. They HAVE no nostalgia to begin with. This book IS Transformers for them. So Drift's presence is neither here nor there. As an adult fan, I know what you mean... it's like "What's this guy doing here? What's IDW doing in my G1?" But they were pushing their new IDW-specific character, so I can forgive that a little.

Plus, being a former Decepticon who had a crisis of conscience and joined the good guys is a whole lot more compelling and interesting than "right-hand man, and police car", which you must admit is a pretty dull bio. :lol 

zmog

3. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Then we got Rung. Who overtook Drift in terms of importance to the story and the story literally revolved around him. He became significant to many existing characters.

And nobody complains.

4. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

Rung didn't have the IDW/Shane McCarthy hype machine pushing him down our throats which is what turned most people off to Drift, as opposed to Drift the character himself.

5. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Insert Clever Title Here

News Credits:
    New characters are good. I'm fine with Drift and for the most part don't see anything wrong with his character. The toy is by far one of the best deluxes from at least the past five years. I don't get butthurt by comic companies telling me what I should like. I ignore it.

6. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    I started out severely disliking Drift, and I didn't care for him for a long time. His mini-series was kind of cool, but I didn't really expect anything to be done with it, and he didn't exactly play a large role of importance in the Ongoing.

Then Roberts got his hands on him, and now that he has an actual character, I love him. Really liking what he's doing with him, and I'm actually interested in what his role will be in the overall story! I dig his redesign too, great example of how to give a character a new look while still retaining what made them cool.

7. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    I did not like Drift in his miniseries and spotlight. He seemed like the same run of the mill character I've seen in many other stories. He's gotten better to me during MTMTE.

8. Takeout

Takeout Mistress of the Night

Indeed. Drift was quite bland when he first showed up, but in MTMTE he's become annoying but in an almost-lovable way. :D 

9. Super Lazuli

Super Lazuli Active Member

Rung builds model space ships, is a complete nerd, and got shot in the face.

Not exactly a mary sue here.

10. Honorbound

Honorbound The Working Hermit

And he's important for a good reason: he's a psychiatrist, which the Autobots desperately need.

11. gregles

gregles quintesson

I just had a great thought the decepticons need to have a psychiatrist too, It would be hilarious and probably very twisted

12. Honorbound

Honorbound The Working Hermit

Nah, they'd probably end up with somebody like Jeremiah Arkham or Jonathan Crane.

13. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Not just that, but he's been build up steadily for a while, showing more of him little by little. Always by a good writer who knew what he was doing.

I think that if Drift had received a similar treatment, he would have been far more well received. Even with the tired 'badass silent warrior' thing. It's all in how you present a new character.

14. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

In the beginning, he seemed to be something of a Mary-Sue.
    (although that could have been the hype machine more than anything he actually DID.)

I kinda like where he is now, although some times even Roberts gets his "voices" mixed and Drift will do something "comedic" that seems out of place.

I'd like to see Drift become something of an Autobot Cleric or Priest. We've had plenty of "old wise religious sage" characters over the years, but really how often do we have stories of a young adept making his way?

Just a thought

15. SMOG

A young, keen adept, with a barely contained violent urge to horribly murder things simmering just below the surface. :) 

zmog

16. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

I'm really dating myself here zmog, but do you remember Gene Rodenberry's Andromeda?

There was a priest character on that show who was the only member of of his species that didn't want to rape/eat/murder/kill other creatures.

I kinda think the inspiration was Riddly Scott's Alien, but the makeup department went with Wookie.

I recall the actor left the show early because he couldn't deal with the discomfort of the costume. Shame really since his story arc was just getting interesting around that time.

But yeah that show was pretty bad overall.

17. dunerunner123

dunerunner123 Optipottamus prime

I was pretty indifferent with him at first in all hail megatron, I have to admit I sort of liked his backstory mainly because he was the few characers that even had a backstory to begin with. I actually really like him now that Roberts is writing him, he really is a character now and not just some guy with a sword.

18. SMOG

Yeah, I never followed Andromeda (though I remember when it came out... that was Kevin Sorbo's follow up after Hercules, no?). In any case, the character sounds similar in a way. Drift is a total "born again" type, like one of those hardcore criminals who "finds Jesus" in prison, and swings wildly to the other extreme to cover for all his guilt and violent urges.

zmog

19. AndHisArmada

AndHisArmada Decepticon Saboteur

Ebay:
    I like MTMTE Drift. He's not out of place and doesn't feel like a mary-sue in that series.