How do you deal with Transformers Muggles?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Dncmefrmpelican, Dec 7, 2010.

?

Ever been picked on due to your Transformers?

1. Yes

47 vote(s)
    38.8%
  2. No

73 vote(s)
    60.3%
  3. I dont want to say

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  1. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Geek seems cool to geeks only ;)  Fine by me personally. I couldn't stand being around sport obsessed prep/jock types ever. Those people become police.

Nad kicking is going to be your bottom line son:

YouTube - Bobby HIll going Nuts

2. Dncmefrmpelican

Dncmefrmpelican TheWhiteCleaver

Not in the UK :L

3. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Yeah, I left it broad when I accused "you guys" of being harsh. Didn't want to make a "naughty" list of anyone I deemed an offender. :lol 

But yeah... if you want to avoid coming off as a stuck up, awkward nerd, defending yourself with awkward, haughty, overly officious nerdy retorts tends to have the opposite effect. Keep it casual, keep a self-effacing sense of humour about it. If you can laugh at yourself, they'll realize there's no sport in it for them.

I just want to say I partially DISAGREE with this advice. Yes, it's a very good idea to find yourself a reliable group of core friends that you can be yourself with, and mutually support one another. That's important, and can give you the confidence in yourself to be a stronger person in general.

But there's no need to isolate yourselves within one "outcast" group and never involve yourself with the larger social environment. I think that's the major issue that leads to "geeks" having social difficulties in High School and beyond... if you can only interact with "your own kind", you're always going to be self-alienating. It fractures the whole environment. You can find common ground with almost anyone, provided they're not major a--holes.

I found in the early years of High School, there was a lot of that, but as we all got a bit older, people started to mellow. Guys who were bullies in the early grades started to treat the "freak" crowd with more respect and affection, because we didn't hide ourselves away, and just tended to be nice to everyone. The dudes who couldnt' give up being jerkoffs started to get flak from their own crowd ("Yeah, don't listen to him, man... he's a dick!").

We even entered our own street hockey team into the winter carnival tournament and placed 2nd, which was pretty hilarious for a bunch of geeks and artsy emo types with little to no team sport background. It was like one of those Disney underdog sports movies! :D 

Fun fact: the absolutely cheapest, dirtiest, roughest team in the tournament... the faculty team! :lol 

Yeah, everybody's got a different experience and a different situation to get through, and having good friends can make all the difference. Some people never grow up (in terms of being bullies, etc), but as life moves along I find most of them either change, or end up as total losers/in jail. :) 

Wise words, old man... but I have a feeling that advice like that will fall on deaf ears with teenagers. Those are the kinds of regrets that most of them are only too eager to experience for themselves! ;)  :lol 

zmog

4. Dncmefrmpelican

I couldnt agree more...I just held of some bullies and in fact just turned them to my cause...with one line
    "Why do you hate me"
    followed up by why are you picking on me when you could be going for WoW nerds or just gettiong on with your life..and they apologised :eek: 
    2 down a bagillion to go :L

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  5. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    In calling WoW players "nerds" you just singlehandedly proved that you're no better than your alleged bullies/muggles/whatever.

Bravo.

6. Dncmefrmpelican

I didnt mean to offend them sorry, its just I dont understand T.T
    They DO complain about WoW but they never bully the guys that bring in game boxes or attend school quild...just forget I mentioned it

7. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Usually an aluminum baseball bat is the quickest and most satisfying solution in taking care of "muggles".

No, in all seriousness, no one has given me crap for collecting since elementary school in the early 90s.

8. Dncmefrmpelican

rofl

9. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    So basically you tried to throw another group of kids under the bus as another target, just so you don't have to deal with the bullshit. It doesn't matter to you that someone's getting picked on, just that it's not you. That's not a good thing, because you're acting like the "WoW nerds" are somehow worse than you and more deserving of the same abuse you find unacceptable. And considering you're bringing in toys and using TFs for your school projects, and they're bringing in game boxes and organizing socially around their hobby, there really isn't a whole lot of difference between you. That's the the problem previous posters had with it, because combined with your other posts in this thread, it makes you come across as a hypocrite who thinks himself better than everyone else, whether that's really the case or not.

Also, since you've responded individually to pretty much every post in this thread, I've noticed that you agree with or applaud the ones that support your viewpoint, and respond to ones that are critical with excuses, whether its regarding you escalating confrontations with these guys or making typos in your posts. It's a common enough habit for someone your age (hell, I did plenty of it at your age), and its nothing to be ashamed of, but growing up and becoming a mature adult means accepting criticism and dealing with it, not responding with "yeah but...". In most cases, you don't need to shift the blame, you don't need to try and elevate yourself above your critics, and you don't need to get defensive. Putting your back up against up the wall when someone calls you on something is probably the reason these guys keep coming back in the first place. In the best case, you might learn something about what you're doing that can help you improve yourself, and in the worst case you just brush it off and forget about it.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  10. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

This, despite working for the time being, was a terrible way to handle it.
    1. Don't say that they hate you. They just want somebody to make fun of, and you showed them a sign of weakness. Bullies eat that up.
    2. Telling them to bully "WoW nerds" doesn't help your case. You're asserting that you're better than somebody else, but you're the one that needs help with bullies here.
    3. They'll probably be back.

You're falling back on victimizing yourself. You NEED to start showing that you don't care about their comments. Not only that, but be subtle about it. If it sounds like you went and got help from somebody else, you're just showing more signs of weakness that they can exploit. I want to help you, but you've got to work with us.

11. Foster

Foster Haslab Unicron Backer #10 Veteran

News Credits:
    rofl

12. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I propose that this thread stays stickied until the bullies are all in jail.

13. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Get a baby food jar and fill it with wasps. When they come near kick em in the nads. If they chase you throw the jar on the ground by their feet. Hilarity is sure to ensue.

Reacting in anyway, positive or negative just feeds the fire. Not reacting will create boredom in the bullies and eventually they will move onto other prey.

If your not up for just ignoring the taunts altogether then your left with little other option then kicking them in the nads. You are completely overthinking this. If it escalates to violence then you find an adult you trust and approach them about the situation. If they don't help, kick em in the nads and find another.

Oh and if your going to kick nads make sure to video tape it and post it on youtube and sit back and collect those partner bucks with which you can use to hire others to do your nad kicking for you.

14. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    So...you've stumbled on a successful, geeky way to attract girls, and you're more worried about what the GUYS think?

With all the young guys who post 'how do I attract girls' threads here, I find this extremely ironic.

--Moony

15. Creepybaldguy

Creepybaldguy Well-Known Member

What you need to do is wait until the bully turns around, then hit him in the back of the head with a textbook. When the bully charges at you, kick him in the dangly bits. Only then withh you achieve the title of Manly Man Supreme. For optimal results, learn to play the guitar and lose your virginity the day before 8th grade starts.

16. 643cade

643cade Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm just gonna go with Moony on this one.

You're fourteen. Ignore them. Don't give them the power to continue. By responding to their taunts, telling them to go after WoW nerds (Um... we can be classified as TF nerds... so you are no better than the idiots teasing you when you tell them to go after WoW nerds), you are making it easier for them to bully you. Why give them that power? I'm a 23 year old mother who collects Transformers and was absolutely giddy when TF: Prime premiered. I can't tell you how many times my own husband teases me for my hobby, let alone our friends and family. And it doesn't bother me. I know I'm a geek, I own it, and frankly I find confidence in that. As you grow older, you will find that what people say doesn't matter in the long run; it's your hobby, oh well. Let the idiots make their comments, and frankly... ignore it and don't let it bother you. Find CONFIDENCE. You're at an age where you can decide whether or not what bullies say affects you or not. Don't let them. And Moony's right, there are girls out there that will find your geekiness cute, so why the hell care about the guys being jackasses? lol, really now.

And where the HELL can I find me a WFC Starscream? I want one of those!

17. SMOG

I believe that's exactly the point he was making (and that you missed). He wasn't telling them to go bully the WoW guys... he was making the point that they don't bully the "other nerds"... so why single him out for his hobby? Are video games inherently less nerdy than toy robots? By drawing a comparison between his hobby, and one that people consider "acceptable", it forces them to question why he deserves to be mocked in the first place.

Again, I'm a bit surprised. Seems like a lot of you are more interested in being sanctimonious and blaming the proverbial victim under the guise of exposing his inherent hypocrisy or whatever, rather than trying to be supportive or understanding. It's like you're just looking for something to attack, and I think it's pretty sad.

Yes, downtrodden geeks can be just as guilty of being obnoxious, arrogant and prejudiced as others... though usually as a defense mechanism. Slapping someone down every time they reach out for advice or understanding doesn't score any "truth points", or make you a champion of the school of hard knocks... it just makes you another kind of bully.
    :throw 

zmog

18. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    The problem with your interpretation (not that it wouldn't have been a better idea for the OP to do what you said) was that from the way he's described things, he wasn't saying "hey, look, these guys are nerdy too, and you leave them alone, I'm pretty much the same, so I should be left alone too", he said

Which seems to me like its just trying to shift their attention to another target, which the OP looks down as inferior and even MORE deserving of their abuse. Even if it appears it had the same effect as your idea, which is good, it's not exactly a good attitude to have as someone who's complaining about how much being harassed sucks.

I'm not blaming the OP for anything, though you referring to him as a "victim" in your post is somewhat telling, as that's what he's passing himself off as. Brainchild has made some good posts so far about what I mean. I'm not saying the OP deserves to be picked on (but by the same token, neither do the WoW nerds), but wallowing in self-pity over how powerless he is and how everything is against him is counterproductive as well. That's why I'm saying he needs to take account of his own actions in response and as precipitators and decide how to address them, so that he can realize how much he actually has power over, and mature as a person.

I'm not trying to be sanctimonious, I've admitted the same behavior in myself as well as acknowledging that I probably sound pretty callous in making these remarks, but what I'm trying to do is give advice that I hope will have a positive impact on the OP's situation. If the OP is looking for advice and understanding, rather than just sympathy and attention, that's a good thing, right? Better than a thread full of "poor you"s and fakeposting about shots to the junk at least, right?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  19. SMOG

I'll concede, the awkward wording of his post did make his true intentions ambiguous... I guess my tendency was to give him the benefit of the doubt... which seemed to be confirmed when pelican (sorry bud, that's your name now. Next time pick something intelligible! :lol ) clarified himself on the matter. I think it's fair to ask for a bit of explanation from someone (especially when they typically post in short, vague terms) before roasting them for it.

I don't think it's exactly a loaded word use in this case... "Victim" of bullying, or "recipient", "target" ... whatever. Not that, from the sounds of it, the situation is all that serious anyway.

I don't really see him doing that... if anything, I've seen pelican downplaying the situation. What I have seen though, is a large number of responses that are either
    A) absurdly preoccupied with the word "muggle", despite the fact that it's meaning is pretty clear, or
    B) meticulously reading into his posts for any excuse to get on his case for being a hypocrite, for bringing it on himself, or whatever... which is largely unmerited.
    I just thought we had a more supportive, less asinine community than that here.

This is always true of course, and I'm sorry if it seemed like I was singling you out in particular... yours was just the last post I read, though not the worst.

True... and it's always good to promote introspection. I just feel like there's been a lot of criticism for criticism's sake in this thread, which can really just end up consolidating one's feelings of alienation. Why come across as callous if you can avoid it, right?

And then there's about 80 posts about crotch-shots, yes. :rolleyes: 

zmog

20. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pelican :lol 

Take care of yourself kid, some of the comments here are harsh, these guys are talking out of past lives :p 

Just be yourself. But if being yourself gets you picked on keep it to yourself. And dont go doing things over your head even if it sounds like good advice. There are more practical solutions like going to a authority figure, etc. Things dont always work out irl where the geek beats the crap out of the bad guys, gets the girl n go on to become the next bill gates like in the movies :lol