How do you become a tank?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by TheWarPathGuy, May 1, 2020.

1. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy There's no power, greater than X.

Pre-war Cybertron, you'd have absolutely no reason to become a tank, it was a peaceful planet, but after the war broke out, how did tanks come about? We know there were jet, cars and slightly larger vehicles, but tanks? Are their bodies rebuilt to become tanks? Or are they born like that?

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Assuming most "tanks" are not simply repurposed all-terrain armoured vehicles with weapons attached, yes they'd be rebuilt into tanks.

I mean you have the same problem with fighter jets. Pre-war jets wouldn't have missiles, guns, and targeting systems.

• Like Like x 4
  3. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    Could be some practical uses too, clearing away rubble, asteroids, etc. Transformers think big and dumb to solve problems.

• Like Like x 8
  4. Rewind Eject

Rewind Eject Not as much of a jerk as I could have been

I doubt there was such great peace that Cybertron ever didn't have a military, but on a person to person basis I like to believe that tools such as turrets and shovels are kibble and they were converted into tanks upon joining their field.

• Like Like x 9
  5. Cliffjumper

Cliffjumper And awaaaaaay we go!

News Credits:
    Maybe used them tanks as a defense force against other alien species

• Like Like x 3
  6. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

I would say this question depends on continuity for example in G1 there was a line Originally created as a military hardware, So with or without peace there should be a few tanks around

• Like Like x 2
  7. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

Also going for defensive purposes.

Even if there was peace on the planet, you always have to have something to maintain order in case of an uprising or perhaps even an invasion.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Primeultra

Good point and there’s another thing to consider, And please correct me if I’m incorrect but wasn’t the ability to transform developed during or leading up to war time in most continuities?

I know that’s the case in the G1 cartoon, the G1 comics were a bit different in that it seems they knew how to transform before the war but it seems it was only with civilian life equipment before some of them modified themselves into weaponry

So none of them may have been able to take a tank form before hostilities broke out

• Like Like x 1
  9. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

I question "the most continuities", because I think it was only the G1 cartoon in which they were unable to transform until the lead up to the TF war we saw (fourth Cybertronian War, I think?). In Marvel being able to transform definitely pre-dated the war (but as you said, the altmodes were adapted to suit the war), and in Dreamwave and IDW they also had transforming abilities long before the war.

Not too familiar with other continuities (Armada-verse, Prime, etc) to make a judgment on those, if it was ever touched upon.

• Like Like x 2
  10. TransMuffin84

TransMuffin84 Empress of Cybertron

You spec into it then use talent points appropriately.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

How to become a tank in the Transformers Universe:

You pull the alt-mode out of the job hat when deciding what you will become. Along with which fraction you'll be as well. Also, which gender, and how tall/small you'll be. It's all randomized on Cybertron. Vector Sigma likes to keep things balanced.

It's the same method placement for jobs with Gi Joe. Which is how you ended up with a dude with boxing gloves on a stick fighting terrorists with guns.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Everyone knows the 5/8ths are where it's at! :p 

I'm not sure I'd trust Vector Sigma in the later days. He made Silverbolt the leader of a team of flying Autobots an acrophobe, was asked to instill the Stunticons with life and made the members resent their leader so much their combined form is a psychological mess. Then decided he could do better and gave Broadside both acrophobia and a robot sea sickness.

Back to the question at hand, it really depends on the incarnation of the franchise. However, it largely seems to be that there were tank-like forms on Cybertron, from demolitions (WFC/IDW Megatron) to heavy purpose vehicles (Animated Warpath, etc.).

13. Longitudinalwave

Longitudinalwave A Big Fan of (Sound/Shock)wave

It's even worse than that with the Stunticons, really. Megatron tells him/it to "fill them [the Stunticons] with hatred for the Autobots, and all the Autobots stand for!", but other than that, he didn't give any specifics. We can however assume that there was an unstated implication that he wanted an effective fighting force. Vector Sigma provides him with Motormaster, a vicious bully who's more than a little obsessed with killing Optimus Prime, whom Megatron is ALSO obsessed with killing, Drag Strip, a victory-obsessed narcissist, Wildrider, who's completely off his rocker and has to be next to impossible to control, Breakdown, a paranoid, anxious 'bot who doesn't seem particularly well-suited to combat, and Dead End, a nihilistic pessimist who probably wouldn't even care if the Autobots shot him. It didn't even make them particularly obedient! In "The Key to Vector Sigma, Pt. 2", the Stunticons attack the Autobots without a direct order from Megatron, and in "Starscream's Brigade", when Soundwave tells the Stunticons to join up with the other Decepticons to help put down Starscream's rebellion, Drag Strip's reponse is as follows: "Tell Megatron to blow it out his exhaust port. We're having a demolition derby!" And, as you mentioned, Menasor is a complete psychological mess on multiple levels. Megatron definitely didn't get the team he was probably wanting from Vector Sigma!
    As far as the Aerialbots are concerned, Vector Sigma did give an aerial robot acrophobia, but he didn't make him leader. Optimus Prime actually did that, in the hopes that it would take his mind off of his fear of heights by giving him something else to worry about. (I love Optimus, but boy was that some really questionable logic on his part!)
    Re:Broadside, it's also at least possible that he might have been a bad allocation of resources; that is, that he wasn't a plane and an air carrier until he was transferred to Earth and someone in Autobot High Command chose him to fill a gap without considering his personality...but that's just speculation.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

Perhaps it isn't that Vector wants a balance then. Perhaps, Vector really just wants to mess with both sides. By creating lots and lots of weirdos.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Primeultra

actually Optimus Prime made Silverbolt leader

I don’t think we could say for sure that Victor sigma have anything to do with his creation

By the way just pointing this out for the fun of it not really trying to get into anything large

Last edited: May 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  16. LockdownTF

LockdownTF Well-Known Member

the transformers basically began as slaves to quintessons. Based off of what we see this means there would be uprising wars and rebellions all over cybertron to the point they'd eventually drive the quintessons completely off of their planet. All military weapons and alt modes most likely were devoloped from those early war weapons whether they were alt modes themselves or vehicles the transformers piloted like we pilot our own jets and tanks

17. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You put a bit of muscle into yourself and get swoll.

I guess robots like Warpath are just able to afford it.

18. Stryder Wolfe

Stryder Wolfe Is it...Safe???

Instagram:
    Similarly to Armada Megatron, I just sort of lie on my stomach and tank treads rotate out of my arms and legs which reconfigure into an H shape while my torso condenses. The turret is on my back...

wait, what?

• Like Like x 1
  19. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom Got bored and changed it back.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I thought it was having High HP, and attack defense and low speed,

• Like Like x 2