Customs: How Do I "Yellow" Plastics?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Dex Antares, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Dex Antares

Dex Antares I am a Meat Popsicle

We've all heard various miracle methods for cleaning faded, yellowed plastics to make them look like new again... but does anybody know how to intentionally fade or yellow plastic?

This isn't a Transformers custom, but I figure this is as good a place to check as any. I'm trying to take the Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver you and make the casing look more yellowed, like the actual prop. Pictures are enclosed:

[​IMG] This is the original toy, as it exists right now.

[​IMG] And this is the current version of the prop, as far as I know. Rather, this is an image of the upcoming prop replica. This is how I'd like mine to look. I think the taupe casing contrasts nicely with the metal fittings.

A friend of mine mentioned how she once tinted a set of bones by brewing black tea and giving them a soak, but I doubt that would work on plastic. Any thoughts?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    you don't want to intentionally yellow your plastics, but you CAN dye them in yellow, or paint them with a thin translucent yellow paint.

3. Dex Antares

No, I DO want to intentionally yellow the plastic on this. I carry it with me everywhere, and I don't want to use paint because that'll wear off. Dye is a good idea, but I wanted it to look intentionally worn and faded, just like the second picture.

4. REDLINE

News Credits:
    I get that, but that's not my point. My point is that the yellowing process DAMAGES THE PLASTIC.

5. Dex Antares

Unless it alters the structural integrity to that of a stale graham cracker, I don't really care. I'm not an idiot, you know.

6. REDLINE

News Credits:
    I don't recall ever calling you an idiot?

7. L_K

L_K Decepticon

Ebay:
    Hey , u can use a spotlight pointing at the plastic, the heat and the UVA, UVB will "yellow" your plastic... but beware of burning.

8. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

Seems to me any uv light lamp or other wise is going to take months for it to become yellowed. to dye it would take disassembly and possiable warpage of the plastic. Paint is really your best option. Paint can hold up better than people think just depends on how its applied and what type of paint it is

9. Dex Antares

Again, this is something I handle and carry everywhere, every day. I've yet to find a suitable paint that would work. I'm open to suggestions.

Disassembly isn't an issue. It's very easy to take this thing apart, and I even have spare casings to experiment with. A friend of mine suggested immersing it in black tea to see if that tints the plastic. I doubt that'll work, but like i said, I have spares to blow through. I'm willing to try just about anything.

10. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
  11. Dex Antares

12. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    I agree that it's probably better to dye. UV yellowing continues to happen long after the UV exposure. It's a chemical reaction, afterall. Thus, after you find the shade of yellow you're happy with it might continue to keep yellowing more and more.

13. reluttr

reluttr Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You could also buy a pack of crayola water based markers and a bottle of future, fill a cup with future, remove the core from the yellow marker and mix it in, may want to add some orange for effect. Then paint it on in thin coats, not only will it look good but future is very durable :p 

14. Dex Antares

Not to mention the amount of time it would probably take.

15. Dex Antares

-Quietly lays on the ground, then begins curling his legs and head toward his chest in a strained, shuddering manner...- .....FUUUTUUURRRRE..... .....FUUUTUUURRRRE..... .....FUUUTUUURRRRE.....

[For clarification:
    ]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  16. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

maybe slap a bit of acetone on the surface as a catalyst and then hit it with the UV light (but not heat for a while, aye? there is a significant fire risk involved here) since effectively you want to be horrible enough to the plastic for it to start to break-down.

alternatively, sell it to me on ebay as AFA C-9.5 MSIB G1 , and by the magic of internet auctions it will look like a thousand year old twinkie by the time it reaches my zoo*.

*because 'collection' would imply some level of competence in buying vintage toys.

17. cybertron2006

cybertron2006 Fly By Clockwork Pictures

This might be a bit off-topic but your screwdriver looks like a lightsaber.

IT REALLY DOES. :|)

18. Dex Antares

*Snicker* While I appreciate the S-Class Snarkiness, I think I'll be hanging on to it for now. But I might try your acetone trick. Sounds like has potential.

19. Dex Antares

[​IMG]

What makes you say that? :) 

20. cybertron2006

cybertron2006 Fly By Clockwork Pictures

dunno. nice pic. who "won"?