How do I learn toy design?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Kaynowa, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Kaynowa

Kaynowa #MakeTransformersStupidAgain

News Credits:
    So, like most anyone here, I absolutely love the toys this franchise has produced, and I'd love to make them myself for others to love. However, I have no clue HOW to go about doing so, be it official through Hasbro or starting my own 3P. I'm a college student majoring in mechanical engineering if that helps any, but I'd love to know how to go about learning the various aspects of toy design and how to get in the right channels to go through with it as a career or at least a profitable hobby. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

• Like Like x 5
  2. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

Start designing your own toys! As an engineering student, I'm sure you have access to some high-end design software. Take advantage of that. Come up with some ideas and simply start designing. Do you have access to a 3D printer? If so, use that to produce working prototypes to test your designs.

Once you have built up a repertoire of completed designs, you could use that to help get your foot in the door if you see an opening for a toy design job. Reach out to companies and other designers for input. I know there are some who post on TFW who do it professionally, and I am sure they could provide much more useful and practical advice than what I have done here.

Do you have any designs or concepts you would like to share?

• Like Like x 3
  3. MasterScale

MasterScale Well-Known Member

Hello. I was wondering the same thing a while back, and one of the TFW users here, Bot Sculptor, recommended this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Pop-Sculpture-Figures-Collectible-Statues/dp/0823095223#reader_0823095223

It seems to be mostly sculpting, but there is a small section on making jointed figures.

Also, Lazy Aza - another user here - does design with Mastermind Creations. He had some good pointers.

Finally, have you ever thought about sending an e-mail someone like John Warden (or anyone) and asking them for advice? While I haven't asked anyone in the toy world, I have found that approaching professionals in a given field generally yields useful information, and you get a feel for the people you would potentially be working with.

Check out the 'careers' section of, say, Hasbro or who ever and look at the job requirements and use that as a marker to see what areas you need to look into.

I hope something I said in my ramble helps, and good luck :) 

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  4. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus DON'T TRUST THE RENDERS!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Siphon the knowledge from the Hasbro team! :ev: 

5. Kaynowa

Kaynowa #MakeTransformersStupidAgain

News Credits:
    Was hoping this would catch the eye of one of the users like Aza, I know there are a handful of members here involved with some design to one extent or another. I've emailed Hasbro before, but I didn't get much, only a "we have internships available," though that was through their customer service rather than anything direct. May give that a shot. Thanks

I don't have easy access to such tools, as I'm between semesters and back home over an hour away. I AM trying to get my own, though. I do have a few half-baked designs of a legends scaled Cybertron Prime and an MP Clocker, but those aren't in any presentable shape or anything, sadly. Thanks, though

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2019
  6. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    I'm a student majoring in Aerospace engineering. The best place to start, in my opinion, would be to examine the toys you already have. See how parts fit together, what kinds of joints are used where, et cetera. If you have access to CAD software - which I'm sure you have access to at least a free version of SolidWorks - then the next step would be to try replicating a relatively simple toy there. Take measurements with a set of calipers, and use those dimensions to define your parts. That's the method I used to re-create Animated Optimus Prime's voyager-class toy for my CAD class' final project.

After that, you should start designing your own models; the best way you'll learn after re-creating one or two more simple toys is by trial and error. It took decades for Transformers to become as well-engineered as they are now, and they're still learning in some cases.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Trinidad Linares

Trinidad Linares Active Member

Hi,
    Your local Community College (if you aren't already in college) likely has a CTE (Career Technical Education) program set up for manufacturing. The schools I teach at (HS and a CC) have into programs that start with the physical, old-school drafting, and CAD basics that can be used to develop parts from concept to CNC ready. Also, any area where you see plastics manufacturing will have designers and die-makers which can help lead you the right direction. Tech is getting inexpensive enough that parts making is a approachable as a hobby-business with a bit of investment.

8. Blackout32

Blackout32 PANTERA FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I'd say some of the first is your going to need some college behind your belt which your in so your on the right path already. You might want to also get into drawing,sculpting since this will really help. You might also check with the college your inlisted in to see if they have design classes and sculpture as well some other classes that you need to become what you want.

• Like Like x 1