How do I introduce a new kitten to the older cat?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JetRaid, Dec 7, 2009.

1. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    We are thinking of getting this little kitten and we already have a 2 year old. Missy (older one) is very nasty towards the new kitten and she hisses every time we put them close to each other, they look the same but one of them is much smaller, how can I get them to like each other? I know I could have gone on Google but you guys give good, straight forward answers to a lot of things.

2. blumpy2000

blumpy2000 PENGUINS CAN'T FLY!!!

Frankly there's no way to guarantee that two cat's will like each other. They're just like us, and some of us just won't get along. That's not to say that they will hate each other, I'm just saying you really can't force them. My buddy and his roommate each have a cat that were biological littermates. His roommate (and roommate's cat) moved away for a while then came back and now the two cats hate each other. They've been living together for the last 2+ years now, they're sisters, and they still don't get along. Time is the best method. Let the cats get accustomed to each other and give them time to realize that they have a roommate now. The new cat is in a new environment and most likely scared and Missy has just lost some of her territory.

What I did when I got my new kitten, is hold her on my lap and sit down next my other cat. That way they can smell each other and get to know one another and it's kind of a "controlled" environment. Pet them both so they both know they're safe, etc. My situation was a little different though, as the older cat was just curious and my little one was the hisser. Also scold bad behavior and reward good behavior just like you would in any other situation. They should get the hang of the new house dynamics shortly. Hope that helps.

3. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    set the kitten in the older cat's food bowl...the shout "Dinner!"

seriously just keep both cats in the same room but far apart. pet both at the same time. Eventually the older cat will get used to the new one and warm up.

4. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    Just supervise when they are together. If you see any signs of aggressive, just separate them into different rooms so that they can chill out. Slow but sure things will work out. It's best to keep them separated while you're away. It will take some time but will work out. Be patience.

5. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Step 1: Remove breakables from room
    Step 2: Make popcorn
    Step 3: Put them in the same room
    Step 4: Enjoy the show

6. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    I put them closer together and Missy swiped her across the head and the kitten was terrified. Missy is usually an awesome cat and is so calm most of the time.

7. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    That's the worst thing you can do, don't force them together, just keep them in the same room and let them get to know each other on their own terms.

8. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    We have two 1+year olds that were siblings that grew together [had them since they were two months old] and during summer my mother brought in a 2 month old that was hit by a car and abandoned.

Since she didn't have her shots yet and was hurt, we kept her closed in a bedroom with food, water and a litterbox. Occasionally I'd let one of the older ones in to check\sniff the place. Their first reactions were to hiss at each other. Later on I took the young one in my arms and zoomed her around the house, this time she hissed at the older ones.

After a few weeks of this and some days of supervised free roaming, I just let them all together. She's like best friends with one of the old ones but the other old one still dislikes her. They can sleep on the same bed and all but you can see that the young one is still sort of frightened of her.

Give it some time, they'll eventually adapt. Mine are now 1 year olds and six months and the young one is 6-7 months old. They get along well.

9. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    just throw it in the house and hope for the best

10. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

News Credits:
    I've heard the best method is to keep the new addition in a seperate room and make sure you let it sleep on a blanket or towel. Slowly take the towel away and introduce it to the old cat for a short time a few times a day. The old cat will smell the new cat without being introduced and learn to like the smell. Do the opposite for the new cat as they will have to learn to trust that smell too. Try and keep them seperated for awhile, but gradually introduce through something like a large box with a hole in it that they can see, or touch each other, but not attack. Eventually you'll have to take the step and let them meet each other without the box and at that point you should have a spray bottle or something ready to break up any ill feelings, but they shouldn't be too bad as at this point they have already acknowledged each other and smelled each other.

Just remember that an older cat can have bad feelings towards a younger cat just as easily as good feelings. It's all about rewarding the good and disciplining the bad.

Good luck. Remember # or cats = # of litter boxes. That should save you a mess or two. Or at least make sure they bury all their poo.

11. Devastator001

Devastator001 Prepare for Devastation TFW2005 Supporter

My sister just recently introduced an eight week old female kitten to a four year old female cat. The first week of introduction is the worst and most tenuous for both cats. The older cat would growl and hiss, but kept her distance from the kitten. Eventually, the older cat was curious enough to get close enough to get to know the little kitten. Right now, they do know each other and like to chase around the house and lick each other. They do get into cat fights, but quite harmless. It's the way for the older cat to exert her dominance over the kitten. You'll have to remember when there are two or more cats, one of them have to be the alpha or dominant cat and other must be submissive to order to achieve a harmonious relationship with each other. But do keep watch for they can get out of control with their shenanigans.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  12. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I've also heard of some people having success with a product called feliway, which apparently neutralizes the smell, hopefully reducing the territorial feelings of the cats involved.

13. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

Just a couple months ago we brought in a kitten, whom we named Coony, from the barn to keep as a pet. In the beginning, our two adult cats -- Apollo and Sylvester -- kept their distance from Coony. These days, they will occasionally pick at each other, but not serious enough that there's an all-out cat fight. But generally for the most part the older cats leave Coony alone, as they generally sleep during the day.

14. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

dip it in catnip

15. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

2 shall enter
    1 shall leave
    FIGHT!

16. Tyrant

Tyrant Zombie

Everyone I know swears by putting the new cat into a large crate/cage and allowing the older cat to do what it likes around said crate/cage until it's used to the new cat inside it. The cage protects the new cat from the older one while making the older cat feel as though its territory isn't as threatened.

Another technique I've heard about with some success is rubbing a towel all over the older cat and then rubbing the same towel all over the new cat to transfer some of the "tribal scent". Also, assigning a second litter box and feeding bowl to the new cat temporarily is supposed to help.

17. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Duct tape them together.

18. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

I've always just let the new cat find thier own way. None of them have ever gone after or been attacked by the older cats. There is hissing for the first few days but they get over it pretty quickly.

The three cats I have now get along pretty well, the male gets jealous of the others but he's more playfull/bullish to the other two. The two females might as well be related and the smaller female and the male get along like siblings as well.

My oldest cat never got along with any of the others but he wouldn't ever really even acknowledge the others.

19. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :lolol 

This. But with a medium sized cardboard box. Put them in and tape it shut. Roll it down a hill. After that there is no way they won't like each other.

NNOOOO don't do that. As most have said you really can't force it. Best thing to do is have them both in the house treat them the same and break up the fights. They may or may not eventually like each other. Just like humans and how sometimes we really don't like other people.

20. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    When you bring a new kitten/cat home, you should always keep it in a separate room from the other cat. Not only does this help with each cat's anxiety, it also prevents the spreading of upper respiratory problems or other health issues the new kitten/cat may have from the shelter.

The next step is to get each cat accustomed to the other's scent. Move the new kitten/cat into another separate area if you have one and put the other cat into the new kitten/cat's room and close the door. Then allow the new kitten/cat to roam around the rest of the house so it can get used to the other cat's scent. This also helps because each cat will be leaving their own scent in each other's areas.

Once they're ready to start interacting with each other, make sure they do so under supervision at all times.

Introducing cats to each other is a slow process. Cats are habitual creatures that don't like changes to their environment. While we all love to have them get along right off the bat, chances are, they're not. The best thing to do is just be patient.

That or get two kittens at the same time since kittens get along much easier than adult cats.