How Different Would The Movies Be If They Were Owned By Disney?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Sir Spookii, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Sir Spookii

Sir Spookii Well-Known Member

I was on YouTube today and came across a video from ComicBookCast2 where he was talking about Disney apparently wanting to buy more franchises/properties.

I saw some people in the comments suggesting they could see Disney buying Transformers. So it had me thinking about what they would do with the movie franchise like the style, direction etc. It made me think that if Bumblebee does wind up being a reboot, (according to Viacom it apparently is) would they just use that as the starting point going forward or would they just end up resetting the continuity again?

Just wanted to see everyone's thoughts on it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Hooked on a Feeling!

News Credits:
    I would guess more...formulaic (?)...for lack of a better word. Not just in terms of plot, but in terms of tone and feel. To me a lot of Disney movies have a certain feel to them. You can kind of tell a Disney movie apart from other studios. That's not really the case with most other studios, you can't really tell a Paramount movie apart from a Warner Brothers movie. I think part of it is Disney's insistence on including cutesy things, and relatively 'safe' movies.

I actually don't think Disney would be the worst company to acquire the brand, at least in terms of quality. I'm sure they'd put out entertaining Transformers movies (probably on-par with an average Marvel movie) that would be more kid-friendly and G1-based than Bay's. Doesn't sound so bad, but I'd still prefer Disney not get their hands on the brand. Disney owns practically everything, and they desperately need competition. I want to root for Paramount and these other companies. Recently I've been trying to give other studios more attention, and sit out on as many Disney movies as possible, just because I'm getting a bit sick of how prevalent they are.

I don't think we have to worry about Disney acquiring the brand though. Last I heard, Transformers was Hasbro's #1 brand, and I can't see them giving that up unless something major changes. I also can't see Disney acquiring Hasbro anytime soon. After the under-preformance of the Star Wars toys, there are rumors that Hasbro may even give up the Star Wars license. It doesn't seem like the two are on the best of terms at the moment.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Ding dong THE BAYVERSE IS DEAD!

Lorenzo di Bonaventura would never have been involved.

That alone would have been a massive improvement.

• Like Like x 12
  4. SaberPrime

SaberPrime The first Decepticon the Fallen Megatronus Prime

Based on how they're handling Marvel... They'd actually be good instead of shit.

Based on how they're handling Star Wars... They'd still be better even if the fandom can't agree on if any of these movies are good or bad.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Jochimus

Jochimus Sandwiches? Blimey, whatever did I give the wife?

They'd probably be better than the previous movies in any case, but I don't think Disney needs to be buying any more of anything at the moment. I'd sooner see Universal pick up the film rights to Transformers if Paramount is ever forced to relinquish them - seeing their handling of the DCEU I wouldn't trust Warner Brothers to save my life, and with the Dark Universe DOA I don't think we'd have to worry about the likes of Kurtzman dipping his hands in the brand again (also, Universal's already got a Transformers ride at its theme parks, so taking over the film franchise would be sealing the deal, as it were).

I'd have more openness to Disney if they could steer SW away from the constant love-lettering to the Original Trilogy. Y'know, I love the Original Trilogy with all my heart and soul too, guys, but loving something is not enough to bring it back just the way you remember it.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Decepticon Miner

Decepticon Miner Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A few months ago it was announced that Hasbro now has more control over the live action movies. Paramount can’t do anything without Hasbros permission. So a character being in a movie or a script of a movie has to get through Hasbro first before it’s officially used. (Well it was like that during the Bay era but Hasbro didn’t really care what happened and wanted to see what Michael and his crew could come up with. This was stated in the behind the scenes) So now the movies should be fine as long as they don’t rush them out extremely fast just to make tons of cash. I really trust Hasbro as they’ve been doing the robots in disguise stuff for an extremely long time.

I don’t see what Disney would know about making a Transformers film, just leave it to Hasbro and Paramount. Hasbro has things under control. Plus I don’t think they’d give up Transformers unless it was a shit ton of money being offered.

Would the movies be better than the previous ones being owned by Disney? Maybe... but Hasbro knows a lot more when it comes to Transformers and how to handle them. Just leave the brand alone and leave it for Hasbro.

• Like Like x 3
  7. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi Manny said the N-word

Instagram:
    YouTube:
    They’ll definitely be better, but not necessarily in the way we want it.

Hell, even if Disneyformers got certified fresh and a bunch of academies audience reception would probably be worse than the Bay films *cough*the last jedi*cough*

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just give Transformers back to Marvel and they're saved. I would love for them to be part of the MCU.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  9. Caminus Prime

Caminus Prime *sigh* STILL waiting for MPM Ratchet

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I only wanna see paramount get bought so Hasbro can find a better studio to get with. I wouldn't exactly trust disney with Transformers because for one; they're above everyone to the point that they're capable of ignoring ANY criticisms and two; their dumb fanbases will support anything they do even if it's not right and they screwed something like SW up on purpose.

10. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It would be a different set of criticisms we would be facing.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

For the Autobots I think it would be good. Likely Disney would decide it's time to give the robots back their powers they had in G1 so it would be more like robotic superheroes from another planet. Since Disney seems to understand how to get people to the superhero movies I'm sure they would get people to Transformers movies.

It might not be as good for the Decepticons. Yes it would be nice that perhaps Disney wouldn't go killing off the Decepticons by the boat load every film, but Disney hasn't exactly been knocking it out of the park when it comes to their film villains. The MCU has started to pick up their villain game more but it's not like the days when Disney could crank out iconic villains for their animated films.

My biggest worry would be what Disney would do with all the other properties Hasbro would bring over to Disney in a deal. Not really sure how Disney would tackle something like GI Joe.

12. JohnStartop

JohnStartop There can only be one.

I know Transformers has grown into its own thing since the Marvel comic, but if Disney acquired Paramount and thereby their deal with Hasbro, they could consider bringing them back to their roots with the multiversal singularities, gladiator Optimus and Megatron, time-traveller Galvatron, etc. Not necessarily integrate them into the MCU, but maybe it feel more like mythology than just a dumb blockbuster franchise.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy MAXIMUM CARNAGE!!!

Unicron will erase half of the universe and succeed.

• Like Like x 1
  14. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    Somehow, I'm sure Disney would find a way to make them even more soulless.

• Like Like x 1
  15. AshleyCuadra

AshleyCuadra Tieria Prime

News Credits:
    No Disney

• Like Like x 1
  16. Venixion

Venixion Member of the notorious Pew-Pew Posse

News Credits:
    Full of songs, happily ever afters, safe predictable plots and without a shred of the old Disney magic.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Nathanoraptor

Nathanoraptor Well-Known Member

I think Disney would be putting Transformers in their live-action division, which has none of those things (except for the live-action remakes of animated classics).

• Like Like x 1
  18. Decepticon Miner

Decepticon Miner Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah. The cons would basically be treated as little dogs. Though nothing new to be honest. Though Bumblebee gave the decepticons justice.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Nathanoraptor

Nathanoraptor Well-Known Member

I actually think if Disney had brought the film rights to Hasbro products, we might not have been in the mess we are now.

Disney would not have made Transformers movies as PG-13 action flicks; they would have made them as PG-rated family films, like The Jungle Book or Pete's Dragon.

Certain things would not have carried over (Shockwave's downright brutal portrayal in the IDW Movie comics springs to mind) but overall, we might have ended with movies like Bumblebee from the very start.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Carcascan

Carcascan Well-Known Member

Transformers does not need studio like Disney, what they need is someone like Kevin Feige, guy who knows and respect the lore and their fan base, to be the one who is in charge of the production and not the other guy.

Disney alone will not save the franchise, just look at Star Wars.

• Like Like x 2