How did you Get your First Transformers Figure?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by shock24wave, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think my brother had a Smokescreen which I inherited, but my earliest memory of a Transformer that was mine had to be Throttlebot Goldbug, who I thought was Bumblebee and that Christmas I got Powermaster Optimus Prime (whose corpse I still have )

2. PANTSMAN1973

PANTSMAN1973 Well-Known Member

Christmas 1984. I asked Santa Clause for G1 Optimus Prime. Don't know what it was like elsewhere, but in the UK, Optimus Prime was the must have toy that Christmas. My Parents couldn't find him anywhere.

Anyway, instead I woke up on Christmas morning to Slag, Snarl and Jazz! Not a bad alternative in my book!

3. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    Christmas '84, whichever it was, and Santa did bring an Optimus Prime.

Edit: as the man says above, it was apparently the "must have" toy that year. I've been told since that my folks had to go on bit of a mission to find one, so evidently I was quite lucky!

4. BeeOtch217

BeeOtch217 Ha Ha You're a Mini-Con!

News Credits:
    Holy shit!

5. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I used to be a huge Bionicle nut. I had a pet-project Mary Sue fan-character custom that I was constantly tweaking and rebuilding, and I took an interest in adding posable hands to it. Meanwhile, I had been playing an online game called "Transformers Energon: The Search for Megatron". I told my dad I wanted a transformer as a "hand reference" to build better hands on my custom. "Just one", I said. That didn't stick once I found out it could combine with another figure.

6. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero

Ebay:
    I am glad that you are still with us.
    I was real young when my mom and dad bought me runabout. I started balling as soon as they gave him to me. When they asked why I said it was because he was a bad guy. The next day they bought me Jetfire from childworld.

7. jignat

jignat Well-Known Member

Hmm either 1/2 ways. I Was like 4 yrs old.

1) My mom got me Hot Rod and Wreck Gar in summer 1986 during a vacation to Miami.

2) Or She got Swindle, Brawl, and Dead End in the fall.

Since most people are posting Xmas TF, first one I can remember getting was HArdhead for Xmas 1987 IIRC.

8. alfred p. sloan

alfred p. sloan Well-Known Member

The memory is so great il that I never tire of re-telling the story;

In the fall of 1984 I was six years old and had entered the first grade. I was swept up with the boys toy phenomenon that was The Transformers. We kids would talk transformers at recess and lunch, memorize each cartoon episode every Saturday and pour over the wish books and pack-in catalogs waiting until that Christmas.

Meanwhile, a treasured childhood tradition was about to unexpectedly be its last that December. A beloved uncle had donned a Santa suit every Christmas I had ever known and showed up in his VW van with a sack of toys lovingly wrapped for my sister and I, along with many for other children of my hometown isle.

Well wouldn't you know it, but that Xmas eve I got G1 Prowl.
    I was delighted.

The Santa tradition ended that Christmas because the suit was lost in a house fire the following year.

The Prowl remained a treasured toy until adolescence.

I got many more transformers after that, but the anticipation for that Christmas and the happiness I felt would never be overshadowed by any other toy again.

With that all said I admit MP Prowl is waiting in my pile-of-loot to (along with his retool brethren) to be shipped in December and wrapped and put under the tree so I may attempt a bit of a reliving of that gracious memory.

9. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

1984, my best friend at the time wanted Ravage. We each had $3, so we pooled our money to buy Ravage/Rumble at TRU.... I got Rumble. I had zero interest in Transformers before I got my hands on Rumble. The next day I spent all the money I had to get Soundwave.

10. Duskscream

Duskscream Well-Known Member

Some of you have vivid memorys.... I asume my first figure was bought for me, I know it was in the RID line for a fact but I never watched the show "much" so dident know there names, I from pictures of him know I had RID Ultra magnus (who I couldent transform) and Prowl wheather they were the first or not I have no idea.

11. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

News Credits:
    I got topspin for my 6th birthday. Christmas of that year my aunt gave me dirge.

So I figured out my hustle.

Worked my way up until I got my grandmother buying me Trypticon for Christmas, and Scorponok for Christmas in subsequent years. My dad bought me Fortress Maximus for bday, christmas, and "no more transformers for 6 months"

got to work those holidays/bdays.

12. Omega Charge

Omega Charge CHARGE ON

News Credits:
    I got some kind of knockoff for Christmas one year, I think it came from Walgreens or one of those drugstores, one of the many different cheap toys they get in over Christmas. All I remember was that it was some kind of black tow truck. Ended up breaking, but I was hooked on the concept. A few months later for my birthday I asked for and got my first legit figures. Ever since I've been addicted. :) 

13. skynet1O1

skynet1O1 Well-Known Member

It was maybe my 4th birthday during the 80's, I watched the show religiously. My parents got me Thundercracker and I became obsessed with it. I remember playing with it a lot but my parents tell me I admired it more than played with it. I still have today.

14. shock24wave

shock24wave Well-Known Member

Ebay:

:jawdropper:  You officially win the thread.

15. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Briefly the owner of KB Toys

News Credits:
    While working undercover trying to take down a drug kingpin I won my first Transformer, a G1 Megatron, in a seedy back alley poker game from a man with a wooden leg and a glass eye.

no wait ...I bought it with paper route money...

16. Extendarr

Extendarr Well-Known Member

Was given Cop-Tur (from the Go-Bots) and was instantly hooked on the idea of robots transforming into vehicles. I found out from my friends that there was this other toy line, and I tuned in for the first episodes of the cartoon. Not long after, I got some birthday money, and there was no question in my mind what it was going to be spent on. I demanded to be taken to the nearest department store and proceeded to blow every cent on G1 minibots. It was a lost cause from then on, as I spent every bit of allowance, birthday and Christmas money on TFs.

17. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    It all started many years ago, when I was 7 years old, turning 8 in a few weeks. My mom took me and my sister to a play place to play in the ball pits, go through tubes, and watch the other kids play laser tag.

Right after, my mom took us to ToysRUs across the street and she told me to pick out what I want for my Birthday. I looked around, but found nothing. Suddenly in the Transformers section, I saw lots of Beast Wars toys and that's when I saw it, Beast Wars Deluxe Dinobot. It was the coolest toy I've ever saw. I grabbed it, ran to my mother and sai, " This is what I want for my Birthday, This is what I want for my Birthday!" My mom just picked it up, looked at it, then put it back and told me to run along. While I was looking at the girls section with my sister, my mom was buying some stuff for me for my Birthday. I didn't get a glimps at what she got, but I was jumping with joy that she was probably going to get my Dinobot.

For the next few weeks I kept telling my mom I wanted Dinobot for my Birthday. I tell her at the table, I leave stick notes all around, I point at the commercial and I leave the catalog open to the page with Dinobot. I even told my friends I wanted Dinobot for my Birthday.

Finally, the day of my Birthday came, I even had an Animal themed party to hint. While everyone was playing with the Pinata, I was looking at all my presentsm thinking which one is Dinobot. Finally after the cake, it was time to open presents. I opened every signle one... But none of them were Dinobot, Just some Hunchback of Notredame toys, some games and puzzle, clothes and a 3 little pigs vhs.

While the party still went on, I sat in my room, felt like crying. After the party was over and everyone left, my mom came into my room and asked, "What's wrong? Are you upset that you didn't get your Dinobot?" I didn't want to tell her the truth, so I told her about growing older and dying. To cheer me up my mom cooked me my favorite dinner and we watched the 3 little pigs vhs I got.

The next day, my mom gave me some homework to work on. Suddenly my mom's best friend comes over for a visit, and she brought 2 late Birthday presents for me. My mom said, "You can open them after you finish your homework." I quickly finished, then headed for the presents. The first present was just a small K'neix set, but the second present... Was Dinobot!!!

18. FatherDeth

FatherDeth Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I got Megatron Christmas of 1984! I was hooked!!!

19. nobleboivin

nobleboivin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My mom started buying them for me when Beast Wars Fuzors came out.

20. Astrotrain99

Astrotrain99 Active Member

Ebay:
    For my 4th birthday in 1985 I got Ironhide and Dirge.