How did you and your significant other meet?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bumblebeevw, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yahoo Personals 12 years ago. Now married for 11 years.

2. legallyblonde2

legallyblonde2 Well-Known Member

True, but you still need to be careful I had a few bad experiences with guys from the net before I met my husband.

3. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

blind date at a bowling alley set up by mutual friends

4. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. Moderator

News Credits:
    Myspace. Got a message from some aggressive chick, met for Hot Coffee, moved in 6 months later, married 2 years later, still married now. One 2 year old, and find out tomorrow what the next one will be.

5. Fuzz

Fuzz Garbage Pail Kid

Technically, I met my wife for the first time when I was walking up the street with a friend in his neighborhood. It was very brief. It wasn't until the new Sabres arena opened when we finally started talking. I worked down in the main commissary, and she was a hostess at the harbor club restaurant. I would hang out and talk with her if I had to make a trip up to the first level of the arena.

6. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

We met each other at work and attended the same college back in 1997. I was a salaried restaurant manager and she was one of my employees, who ended up becoming an assistant manager. Her Mom also worked with us as an assistant manager. We are of two different ethnicities, so her overprotective Mom didn't want us to mingle, but as fate would have it, she ended up liking me, and honestly, I have no idea why. I was kind of a playboy that never had a problem getting dates, but I wasn't a jerk about it, and always treated women well. Maybe that was it...

Anyway, we started dating in 1999, and it was a constant struggle because we had to sneak around; we couldn't let her Mom find out and we didn't want our co-workers find out. In addition, we were both going to school and working full-time, so we didn't have much time to see each other. The time came where I quit the restaurant to pursue my career. I bought a house shortly thereafter, and her Mom finally came around, somewhat, and deduced that I wasn't the womanizing piece of crap she originally thought I was.

We got married in 2010 after dating for an eternity and have been married for 5 1/2 years.

7. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

There are couples and some married ones who even met here, of all places, a toy board.

8. legallyblonde2

legallyblonde2 Well-Known Member

I think I shocked my mom the most since I lived at home still. She thought for sure I was going to get together with a guy I had been talking to for over a yr and couldn't shut up about, and was always up all night talking to.

9. bumblebeevw

bumblebeevw Well-Known Member

It always fasinates me how people met and got married. It isn't the same as it was when I first started dating or how our parents and grandparents did it. Technology has made it some what easy anymore. All though I did meet quite a few guys on the internet who were not at all what they said they were.

10. Sylent

A friend of mine met his girlfriend while online dating was in its infancy back in 2000. 15 years later, they are still going strong, although not married due to a mutual decision.

11. Raiju

Raiju Kaiju Mod Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Agreed. Technology has indeed changed how we communicate and interact with one another. I never before imagined myself dating much less getting hitched to a Brazilian girl, and the missus has admitted that she never thought she'd get involved with an American gringo (and a military man, at that :D ).

Though her first language is (Brazilian) Portuguese, it does help that her English skills are very good (she speaks and reads/writes it as a second language though she stumbles on occasion with slang and expressions) and dabbles with Japanese as well. I've learned a few words and phrases in Portuguese (mostly the swear words :lol ) but it'll be a while before I'll ever grasp even basic conversations in it.

I've learned to more or less communicate with her dad (who only speaks Portuguese) through non verbal cues and such, with some amusing results at times.

12. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

On here! Been married 5 years this year! Transformers got me laid, true story.

13. E.Rabbot

E.Rabbot Abundant Member

But what does getting laid by Astrotrain have to do with your marriage?

14. Deceptikitty

You leave that innocent space choo choo out of this, mister!

15. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

This is very sig worthy. :D 

16. Deceptikitty

Thank you, thank you. I will be here all night!

17. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

I met my wife at work. I got transferred due to being promoted to management and she was a worker there. She had a party at her parents place when they were out of town and we hooked up. Married 3 years after that and we just celebrated out 6th anniversary.

18. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    At university there was a girl who I quite fancied in my first year, pretty I thought. When I got chatting to her it turned out she already had a boyfriend, and I won't mess with another man's rhubarb so it was straight to being friends, which I have no problem with. It's not even a 'be a friend and swoop in at the next opportunity', it's fine to have girl friends.

But she thought I was cool, so she introduced me to her identical twin sister and my friend was my secret weapon to wooing her sister who I dated for 9 years before we got married.

Been married now for 8 years with two kids. Get less for murder... ;) 

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  19. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James The JUICE TFW2005 Supporter

Yes, I can think of, at least, 4 couples who met here, and got married.

20. Sylent

That's pretty cool. I wish my wife could appreciate the finer things in life... like MP's. :p