How come everyone disses Bay, and not Kruger?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by TacomaPrime, Jun 28, 2014.

1. TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I mean, if you think about it, Kruger is the one that writes the script. Bay just takes the script and puts it on film. I think people who don't like the movie should bash on kruger instead of Bay.

2. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Then why do a lot of the issues that the TF films suffer from occur in a lot of other Michael Bay directed films as well, even though they have a different writer? Kruger is shit don't get me wrong, and doesn't get enough of the blame, but Bay isn't innocent in all this.

3. EWATSON96

EWATSON96 Decepticon Commander

This. I don't think that people realize that making a film is a team effort. Bay does not make the movie while acting like a dictator. That is not how it works.

4. Buk Lau

Buk Lau Ignorance is Bliss

News Credits:
    Because bandwagon.

I'd be willing to pay anyone who can get a Bay hater to give them a good solid reason as to why they dislike him, other than "He raped my childhood."

5. Haloid1177

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Should I go down the massive list of issues that are common throughout all of his movies without mentioning Transformers, or would you like to admit their are legitimate reasons for not liking Bay from a director's standpoint. I mean shit start with Pearl Harbor and go from there. Bayformers are his better work.

6. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

Please say yes.

7. normtrooper

normtrooper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Until we see the real scripts we will never know for sure. I have said before the previous novelizations of the films are really quite good IMO and all say based on the screenplay. The dotm novel is especially awesome which is why I was so let down when I saw the film. But who knows how much liberty was taken by Peter David in the book and how much liberty was taken by bay? We really will never have a clear cut answer, there's so many variables that make it impossible to point the finger at one individual.

I will say based on aoe I think they both stepped up their game greatly

8. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Because ultimately... Director/Producer always get the top billing.

But yea... Kruger's script is... very incomprehensible... towards the end. I mean Prime flying off at the end... oi vey.

9. normtrooper

normtrooper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    True but the rock is one of my all time favorite movies. But the rock's issues are actually similar to his other films so you have an excellent point. For me, the rock and pain and gain are proof he can make a great film and isn't as bad as he is made out to be.

10. 9.8m/s^2

9.8m/s^2 What's in a name?

Love him or hate him, at least Michael Bay has never misled anyone about what he does. He clearly describes his product, what it is, and what it isn't. He likes fast cars, hot babes, high tech, and explosions, and that's exactly what he gives audiences, no more, no less. You can't go to one of his movies and claim that you expected something else.

Ehren Kruger, on the other hand, talks a lot about "plot" and "characters", and yet clearly is turning out a script that has neither of those things. Now, to be fair, if someone wrote me a check for half a million dollars and said "you can have this if you sign your name on this turd of a script", my name would be on that steaming pile before it hit the ground.

11. Buk Lau

News Credits:
    Go for it.

12. femmebotfangirl

femmebotfangirl Banned

He is sexist
    He relies too much on action and effects not enough on character development
    His films suffer from poor pacing and questionable humour
    His worldbuilding is mediocre

Basically he is a sexist George Lucas without the talent for creating an interesting, compelling setting.

13. Buk Lau

News Credits:
    I'll give it to you, minus your humor point. No, I'm not saying you're wrong.

Wouldn't the screenwriter be adding the humor into the film? All of the humor in these films come through the use of dialogue; screenwriters write dialogue. So wouldn't they be the one's who are to blame?

14. Magnahide

Magnahide Maximal Commander

I guess it's more fun to make fun of Bay because he has a negative reputation already.

But really, the worst aspect of these movies is the writing. This one got extremely confusing for me. I had a hard time keeping up with the story even though it was a 3-hour movie. It also seemed like things were moving at a steady pace until the last 10-20 minutes or so, and it was like the conclusion was rushed along to cut the run time. It was like Kruger realized he had written so much material, so he just shoved as much crap as he could into a couple of paragraphs and said "The End." They need a new writer badly. Hopefully the third time's the charm.

15. femmebotfangirl

femmebotfangirl Banned

Fair point,but it is a common thread to his films so I don't know maybe he insists on it..

16. Haloid1177

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    It's weird that the crude/sexist/stupid humor remains consistent throughout his films though, even with different screenwriters.

17. haunted-one

haunted-one Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Kruger IS the problem.... His track record speaks for itself... He was brought in to rewrite scream 3... Ruined it. He rewrote scream 4 and Craven almost quit and the cast hated the story... Then let's not speak of his piss poor script treatment of John a Carter of Mars.... The best transformers movie was the first one... A story he was not involved with. So My question is, how does he keep getting working?

18. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What the &$%# is a Kruger? Never heard of it. IDK. I guess Michael Bay's name and face on stuff just makes him the easy target. Honestly I think we all know a lot more people are behind the many problems with these movies.

19. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Kruger may write mediocre scripts, but Michael Bay is the one that puts his name on every trailer and advertisement and DVD case, so he is the physical embodiment that is easiest for people to identify and vent their frustration towards. Just like how he's being blamed for ruining TMNT now even though he's just a producer.

20. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Bay has a history of changing things after shooting to VERY significant degrees.

Roberto Orci used to post here on TFW. He outright stated that Skids and Mudlfap were NOT the characters that he and Kurtzman wrote. Evidence suggests that they left the franchise due to fallout of what Bay did with the twins and them getting blamed.

No one knows to what degree things change. But there's significant evidence that what the writer puts in the script is not the final product of what makes it on screen. Even Stephen Spielburg himself told Bay jokingly that he'd love to see Bay actually use the script in his movies.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014