How Close Are You To Being Done With Your Collection?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by El Duque, Jan 24, 2017.

1. caudex

caudex New World Pre-Order

I'm just about "done" in that some time ago, for the very purpose of limiting myself, I bought an illuminated display cabinet and told myself I could have as many figures as I could cram into that sucker and no more, and now I'm just about there, should be completed within months. I'll then (desperately try to) not collect TFs for at least the next year or two, so I can focus more on all the other crap that I collect. That's the plan, anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  2. amja99

amja99 Well-Known Member

I started collecting Jan 2018. I gave myself a small shelf space (60” wide x 16” deep) and told my wife that once I fill this space, I’m done.
    Fast forward a year and I’m one combiner from calling it quits.

3. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    Done is such a weird concept. It’s weird to have an end goal in a hobby like this.

I can’t imagine ‘done’ being anything other than the loss of interest. I’ll stop when I don’t enjoy it.

• Like Like x 4
  4. edgecrusher

edgecrusher "She wanted nothin', and I delivered." TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It all depends on how you approach it and whether you have a distinct interest area within the hobby at large. If you're just looking to recreate the G1 cast on your shelf, there is a defined end goal available for you. Timing it is the hard part, especially when 3Ps slow down for a year like they did in 2018.

• Like Like x 2
  5. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Looking at my collection now that I've finally figured out everything's place, i can say that i'm 95 percent there. I mean if a good prime like that new studio series comes out
    Then yeah im buying it. Or if someone makes a good runabout and runamok, Elita, or devcon. Lets not forget g2 megatron lol. No more splurging. Its gotta be on this short list or be a fembot

6. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    LOL. I saw this thread at the top of the first page, clicked on it and tracked down my previous post from around two years ago. At that point, I had maybe a dozen MP's to go and was planning on branching out into IDW and Beast Wars.

Now?
    I've expanded to a Masterpiece Bot and Alt mode display, so I suddenly have probably more than a hundred figures to go (combiners average 15-18 figures each to cover all their modes!!)
    I've added an Optimus and Megatron collection - which by its nature will probably never be complete as there are constantly new versions of those two being released.
    I've all but given up on IDW (just need the last few DJD and then I'm out) and have also dropped BW (except for the two leaders for my Optimus/Megatron collection so just waiting on Season 1 Megatron to release and for someone to announce Transmetal Primal and Megs)

For me, it's never been about "I must get these 'x' number of characters and then I can walk away"
    It's an ever-evolving hobby that grows and morphs over time. In another two years? Who knows, maybe I will have added a Legends collection.
    More likely though that I will have died, buried under an avalanche of poorly balanced figures crammed onto too-small shelves. o_O 

• Like Like x 2
  7. Matrix1981

Matrix1981 It's Hot Rod's fault...

I was close (6 ish figures) done and now I’ve gone and added MMC Supermax to the list. It never ends!!!

8. Marvelboy1974

Marvelboy1974 Well-Known Member

There are a good 10 characters left from G1 that I want to get, but I already have most of what I want.

Of course I would like MP versions of characters beyond G1 so I don’t think my collection will ever be complete.

9. qemuel

qemuel It's a trick. Get an axe.

I’m in a weird place right now with my entire toy collection in general (not just Transformers). Like many of us, I’ve accumulated too much stuff! I don’t have the space needed to properly display everything, and get a little sad whenever I look around the bookcases and see everything standing essentially at attention looking like a stiff military regiment. So, I’ve begun the process of selling off some things (again).

Marvel Legends are taking the biggest hit (as they seem to accumulate almost exponentially), of which 75-80% are going to be re-homed. Tons of one-offs from various other toy lines are going as well. I don’t regret purchasing these things and have enjoyed them, but when I look at my two individual (and small) Star Wars Black Series and SHF Dragonball shelves I see where perhaps I went astray. Each contains about a dozen figures of my absolute favorite characters, placed in front of actual books on the two shelves, and that’s it. They look energetic and great! I don’t need to collect them all, Pokémon be damned.

Transformers are one of my life’s great loves however, so things are a little different with them. I was fortunate as a child and had a fairly sizable collection, and losing myself in their world helped me through a pretty traumatic experience. Thus it was important to me to have my G1 homies fully represented through Seasons One and Two and the movie as well as the random characters I owned (or wanted and never acquired) from Season Three. There are of course a few exceptions--like Maketoys Swerve and Tailgate and MMC Commotus, to name a few--but as George Carlin used to say, you're gonna have to work that one out for yourself.

I’ve mostly done that now, with only a few stragglers remaining to "complete" my collection—the Autobot cassettes (I’m lookin’ at you, MMC), Alpha Trion, Roadbuster, Sky Lynx, GP Grimlock (GP Swoop is coming soon), and the four remaining XTB Stunticons now that I’ve acquired Flipout/Wildrider (yes, I sold the great TFM Havoc). That’ll be it; goal accomplished, and only a proper display left to design/craft/build.

(side note: it bears noting that I have duplicates of some but not all of my Transformers and have no intention of selling them; I see no reason my FT and GP Dinobots cannot coexist, for example)

But.

I’ve sold several items over the past year that were impulse-bought because 1) they’re cool and 2) like all of us I’m addicted to my plastic crack. I’d buy everything if rich! It’s a wonderful time to be a Transformers fan. Fans Hobby Double Evil calls out to me constantly on this board. He looks fabulous! But I’m gonna stay strong and just enjoy him through you guys, as I have no real connection to the character and after messing with him for a bit would just put him aside on a random shelf.

Basically anything that doesn’t fit my original plan has got to go (with only a couple exceptions that can live on regular action figure shelves), and once I acquire the aforementioned few and clear that will be it. I'd like to 1) focus on paying off some debts and 2) use adequate resources to make proper displays for what remains post-purge.

Hopefully. That Zeta Superion looks bloody fantastic and is awfully tempting... :D 

• Like Like x 2
  10. User_96283

User_96283 Banned

So far, core needs are the rest of the MMC DJD, and Mp beast wars megs. Then, maybe a proper mp brainstorm that is yet to come. I guess if we get a really good Thunderwing, I'd be interested as I didn't like the GOD or whatever offering.

Feels like I'm by the end in many ways for me. More figures will be just additional characters that aren't must-haves in regards to their characters.

11. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

Just one more... :D 

• Like Like x 2
  12. Mr H

Mr H Old bot from Iacon...

Ebay:
    Never! :D 

As my collection grows my tastes evolve and new bots get added ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  13. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Still feel the same a year later. I've since purchased a few Chogokins but they've all been of the non-transforming variety. I like cool robots and will probably always like them and will continue to buy/ sell as my interests change.

14. edgecrusher

News Credits:
    Forgot a better MP Astrotrain to replace Chigurh.

15. cybertrominion

cybertrominion Active Member

Instagram:
    Done for me is when i get my legends Blurr and Sunstreeaker, and POTP Predaking-sized Menasor

16. Criggity

Criggity Well-Known Member

For MP scale I'll consider myself done when I get a GOOD MP Bumblebee. I have my core favorites and anything else is a bonus.

For legends I want to complete the cartoon G1 combiners and up to the Seacons. I don't want/need anything after that in Legends scale. Maybe a more toon Omega Supreme at most

17. ghostfossil

ghostfossil Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    After having more accurate MP scale monsterbots/junior decepticon headmasters/Seacons and BeastForce/all the leaders from Zone, I'm done.
    Yeah I know, I could be the last one remained.

18. edgecrusher

News Credits:
    Interesting to see this thread again and how things have changed. I've reduced my TF collection substantially and basically stopped collecting TFs aside from waiting for FT Bandit and Berzerk and potentially the Autobot headmasters if they produce them, and MMC's Autobot cassettes (and other cassettes if they do them). I also pick up the occasional Newage legends bot.

The main collection can now all fit in one Billy bookcase aside from Constructor and a couple other pieces. Meanwhile, I've added a couple other lines to my collection like Neca TMNT and G.I.Joe Classified.

19. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Old thread that I'm pretty sure I've seen similar since, but for the sake of it...

Damn close... I have 4 Habro figures in pre-order, SS BB Arcee and Pointblank, The Top Gun Maverick that I wonder if it'll happen, and the Twin Twist "Wreckers" that I also don't believe will happen.

The rest are 3rd parties with the Airachnid (on it's way now), Windblade (coming in a month or so), and 3 others.

Beyond that, I really can't see much left...

20. toretilo

toretilo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For MPs I'm just a new Blitzwing and a decent Devastator away for completion, but XTB keeps announcing unexpected cool stuff that I'll end buying.

Missing Lost Light members are welcome too.