How Close Are You To Being Done With Your Collection?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by El Duque, Jan 24, 2017.

1. El Duque

El Duque Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've seen this discussion pop up inside of a couple of other topics, but I feel like it merits it's own. How close are you to being done with your collection? Are you already done? How do feel about the prospect of being done? I see it range from both ends of the spectrum, from sadness to elation.

For me personally I feel like I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and frankly I'm pumped. Classics drew me back in, but in retrospect the only thing about that line that really appealed to me was the G1 callback. If the MP line had been what it is today back then I likely never would have gotten involved with Classics, because ultimately that's what I always wanted; figures that look like they stepped off the screen. I had a very full Classics collections, a near complete G1 collection with a few of the more popular and sought after Japanese G1 figures, plus the mainlines from 2007 forward, most of the import lines, and quite a few random Unicron Trilogy figures that I picked up here and there. The problem was most of this stuff just sat in plastic tubs never seeing the light of day. I always thought some day I have a place to display them all. Nope, even after my wife and I purchased a larger home it wasn't a possibility. In our old home I had converted a spare bedroom into a "collection" room complete with wall to wall custom adjustable shelving. I even built a special shelving insert to cover the window to allow for more storage and keep the UV light at bay. I didn't want to do this in our new home, mainly because I felt it looked a little tacky, it was just too much. I know some of you probably have that set up right now, please don't take my last comment as a swipe at you, it was just too much for me. If you have that set up and are happy with it more power to you! So I decided I wanted collection small enough that all figures could be displayed tastefully, I ended up landing on MP versions of characters that appeared in seasons 1 and 2 of the Sunbow cartoon and the 86 movie. For the most part I feel I can display all of those in five Detolfs, maybe a few displayed across the top. Almost everything else has been sold, still working on it, but within 90 days I hope to have all of my old collection out the door. It's been a long project I've been selling steadily for over two years now.

I feel like this week was pretty important, I got BC Grump today and will have MT Downbeat on Wednesday, which will close out season 1. With only a few characters left from season 2 and the movie I feel like the end is close at hand. Now I will say I will continue to upgrade characters if better figures come out, better to me anyway. So I'll be in the market for a while longer, but the thought of no longer spending money on this hobby kinda excites me. Plus I can't wait to just sit back and gaze on my completed collection, these are the figures I always wanted.

Lastly, I'm putting this in the third-party forum because if your not collecting 3P your probably nowhere close to being done!

• Like Like x 9
  2. GeneralLeeSpkng

GeneralLeeSpkng Purveyor of Futility

News Credits:
    I like collecting. Not sure why I would want it to end? I don't know what I will focus on yet once season 1-2 and movie are represented but I'm sure the inevitable improved figure will be available. Maybe an IDW shelf, idk. I'm sure something will catch my fancy.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can see the light at the end of my MP collection since they are filling in the holes of Season 1-3 characters.

As for Transformers as a whole, there is 0 way for me to know how close I am since I don't know what is being released past a year or so. I haven't set a goal for non-MP bots so Hasbro might come out with some awesome figures next year that I can't help but want.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Haydenite

Haydenite Ratchet Joints

For me, I am not a completist. I don't go out to finish a "season" set of bots, nor do I have any need to collect every single modern G1 (MP) TF known to man.
    I mainly collect those figures or characters that I want most or those for very nostalgic reasons. Like I couldn't or didn't have them when I was younger.

I've pretty much got all the main characters I want.
    And to be honest, the only one I really really really want, is MT Howling Meteor and his 2 brothers.
    That would be a fitting end if I did end up stopping at any time.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Psychoshi

Psychoshi Grammaton Cleric

I don't think that I will ever be done, unless I die, or experience financial struggles, or until they stop making new tfer figures (doubtful). And I'm ok with that.

Look at how much better figures have gotten after just 5 years time. There is always still room for more innovation and improved standards. And there's the high possibilty that I will want to pick up some figures from a new tfer series into the future. I will always love g1, but I'm not a slave to it.

For me, it's all about the journey, not the destination. That said, storage space will be my greatest enemy. I will have to sell off a lot of old figures eventually.

• Like Like x 1
  6. El Duque

News Credits:
    Just curious, how old are you and how long have you been collecting? I only ask because there was a time I felt the same way.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Vanessa

Vanessa G1 Bonecrusher's #1 fangirl

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm nearly there.
    Then I can close the door of my last Detolf, stand back, admire, wistfully smile and walk off into the sunset...

• Like Like x 12
  8. GeneralLeeSpkng

News Credits:
    I'm 40 and got back into it about the time TRU had the g1 reissues going just before MP1 so what, about 10 years? Armada was just out I believe.

9. El Duque

News Credits:
    I'll always keep an eye on new figures, and if better versions emerge I'll upgrade. Unless a new scale emerges, if that's the case I'll likely stick with what I got.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Justbob

Justbob Well-Known Member

I told myself I'm gonna be done once I get FT Stomp, but then I decided to get a BC Brawn and now I'm trying to finish the arc crew. I then told myself that once I finish collecting the crew, I'm gonna be done...but then TW came out with their devastator and I got it and now I'm planning to get their Bruticus. I guess it will never end. Something always comes up that prevents me from stopping.

11. El Duque

News Credits:
    Ha, you actually got a year on me! Well, maybe you will stick it out! Also curious, how do handle storage and display, rotate?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  12. edgecrusher

edgecrusher Pepperidge Farm remembers TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've got a list and it's mostly a bunch of MPs from Seasons 1 and 2 that I'm awaiting. Plus Iron Factory legends-scale figures. That's pretty much it going forward, I think.

13. GeneralLeeSpkng

News Credits:
    I think it will definitely slow a bit and I have definitely gotten much more selective about my purchases.
    As I sit and ponder it now I wouldn't doubt the market will force me out once Beastwars becomes a thing again, so I will enjoy it while it lasts I guess.
    As far as rotation goes, I haven't had to cross that bridge yet but it will be soon. The room I have dedicated holds exactly what I want to display so far. I have a bunch of storage bins full of regret buys and the formerly coveted binaltech figures in my attic. I was worried about climate for a while but they are no worse for wear after 6 years up there so...

Oh and I started just throwing boxes out recently. Purged the non essentials last month and stick to only TT boxes.

I can understand your position though, I do look forward to saying "look there it is" as I stare at the main collection but I would miss it too much to just walk away.

14. unexistance

unexistance MP Gen-0 Collecting Officer

Given my strict MP collection criteria, not anytime soon :p 

Given the below target, probably never :D  And I'm ok with it

Rotorbolt / Deluxe Insecticons / Jumpstarters / Hardcase / Pulse / Kiloton / Ephemeris / Raiden / Omnibots

15. Mkall

Mkall Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As a Classics collector, I seriously think I'll be mostly done by the end of 2018. I have representations of almost every G1 combiner. There's less than 5 figures missing for me to complete the '84-'85 line, and 20 or so from '86-'87?

After that, it's homages to eras/lines that aren't a major concern to me. I may get them, or I may not.

• Like Like x 1
  16. El Duque

News Credits:
    You do have that sweet Classics Marlboro Wheeljack after all, what else could you possibly need?

• Like Like x 1
  17. timcrook

timcrook Well-Known Member

Thumbs up.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  18. Qingtianzhu

Qingtianzhu waiguoren

News Credits:
    "The List" is getting closer to complete, still a few S2-S3 characters and combiners. But there's also an addendum of "maybes" on that list, So we'll see.

I stick pretty hard to the rules of the list, though...

Rules:

1. Masterpiece style collection

2. Only one of each character, exceptions being character upgrade (e.g. Bumblebee-Goldbug), Shattered Glass, Optimus Primes, or Megatrons.

3. The figure must be the best representation of the character as I remember them.

4. Focus- G1 Seasons 1-2, '86 Movie, Some Season 3, Some Japanese G1, Some Generation Two. Other continuities will be considered on a figure by figure basis.

5. This list and rules can change at any time.

• Like Like x 3
  19. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    I'm sooooooo close, and like you, I can't wait. I'll turn 40 this year, and have been with transformers since he beginning, with a hiatus from about 88 when I was done with G1, til about 97 when I got into beast wars and ebay went online. My collection is close to 1400 figures, and two issues became running out of space to neatly display figures vs cramming them on the shelves, and realizing that the only figures I can transform without instructions or a video are g1/armada trilogy figures because of complexity.

I ended up getting all of the g1 figures from 84-87, and decided I wanted classics iterations of all of those figures, and to have a Masterpiece collection of the entire season 1 cast. What this leaves me still needing are a few minibots (I want GOOD versions of them, not just placeholders), Trypticon, and a Masterpiece Cliffjumper (Toro is preordered). After that, I'm out.

Getting new figures just isn't that much fun for me anymore, mostly because the transformationsuperbowl have gotten so complex, and constant qc issues take the fun out of new figures. I got Mightron and Speedbump for christmas, and Mightron has a scratch on his chest, and Speedbump had a scuffed quarter panel, and TV source is giving me a hard time about replacement pieces. It's become a type of stressful that only collectors understand, but I love the franchise and, once compete, I'm going to be able to finally enjoy what I have instead of worrying about what else is coming out.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Mkall

Mkall Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You have no idea how happy it makes me to see him with my other diaclone homages.