How big would TFs be today without the movies?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Black Oracle, Jul 16, 2010.

1. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    Whilst Animated was supposedly conceived as a backup plan in case the movie failed, i'm not entirely convinced the movie's success was the cause of Animated ending.

I'm more inclined to think someone at CN or Bandai took offence to the cartoon, seeing it as a threat to Ben 10. There is the chance that Hasbro could've moved the cartoon elsewhere... but IIRC from discussions about (lack of) a season 3 DVD, the contract with CN was fairly ironclad, giving them final say about how the cartoon was, or was not, handled.

More generally, whatever TF franchise Hasbro would be pushing now if the movie didn't happen, i think we'd be looking at more simple, less detailed toys. The movie franchise raised the bar a few notches on engineering, complexity, and this filtered into parallel lines....even those loved by people who don't like the movie franchise.-

2. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I don't know I think Classics was something that had been in the works for a while and then got pushed out the door quickly when they needed a filler. Just look at the GI Joe 25th stuff or the stuff Hasbro puts out when Star Wars hits a big birthday. I think something like Classics was going to happen when Transformers hit the big 25 like the other big Hasbro brands.

3. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Deceptipunk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    YouTube:
    When the 07 movie was said to come out on Cartoonnetwork got me all excited.... And thats when I started to watch more then just Armada...
    I basically would not be here if the 07 movie wasn't made.

4. ironarm

ironarm SHALL RETURN IN NOVEMBER

naw dude, ben 10 hasnt been on in like forever. CN wanted to add those stupid LIVE ACTION shows.
    Anyways, live action TF's were evitible. always have been.

5. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No we wouldn't.

The movies have nothing to do with the demise of Animated.

6. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

I'm not so sure about that. From the way I've put things together the number one reason Animated was cut short was Hasbros' desire to start their own channel. It's pretty probible that Hasbro never would have taken that step if not for the success of the '07 movie.

7. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Well-Known Member

Plus, retailers, forgetting how well all Pre-Movie lines sold, saw that Animated performed about as well as say, Cybertron, and demanded Hasbro give them the better-selling Movie toys instead of this [sarcasm]"failure"[/sarcasm] of a line.

8. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    Sadly, animated would still be dead. That's completely CN's fault, not hasbros.

Hasbro has explicitly said, time and time again, if CN wanted to keep animated going they could have. Animated died because CN found better alternatives for merchandising with the Man of Action company.
    Hasbro wasn't who decided to end animated. CN was. CN wasn't happy with it, which is why they planned on airing all 2 seasons back to back then canning it. YTV ordered more though, and somehow that slipped into CN studios, so the season was made without CN's okay. That's what inevitably led to them reassigning the team on animated, including letting isenberg go, and the only reason we got season 3 because it was already made, so CN felt it better to air it than waste the money that was already spent without their okay.

CN wanted a more serious natured toon at the higher up level. Animated Dying was NOT hasbro's fault. Blame CN.

Toys R us and other retailers did fine with animated. They just prefer as a general rule, movie-lines over series lines. Movie lines sell like wildfire around a movie's release. But the sales data on animated was still strong. TRU even had it marked as a best seller for the longest time.
    CN's ratings on Animated also topped Ben 10. So no ratings weren't the issue either. It was CEO level decisions unhappy with how it turned out, who also wasted all the money on *gag* reality tv.

Other than that, all that may have changed is we could have had more anime series, and less shelf space at stores.

Without the movies, hasbro also wouldn't have the hub, as that was a direct correlation to working with michael bay, and changing the image rights.
    Animated itself though could have stayed alive over at CN. The hub did not impact Animated at all. Except now maybe make CN prissy about the fact they or may not get Prime, which is what the ceo's thought they were getting to begin with.

If you think this is bad though, wait till you hear why wolverine and the x-men season 2 is canceled, and why no one wants to talk about why.
    Even successful cartoons get canned by networks for stupid reasons, animated included.

9. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Just because the Animated show dies does not mean in those circumstances that perhaps the toy line might have lasted longer, or had a rebranded continuation / sequel in the same style.

10. cjranck

cjranck Well-Known Member

Well I will say this, I was 10 in 1984 when Transformers came out. Transformers, along with GI JOE replaced the void of Star Wars when I was a kid. Star Wars will always be my favorite, but TF's will always be a close 2nd. I lost interest in TF's after the '86 movie and I started "getting out of toys". Fast forward to 2007, and the movie lived up to the hype. I was a BAD DAD and took my then 3 year old to the movie, and since then the movie has rekindled my fire for TF's. After that, I found a foreign company that sold the G1 cartoons and I was hooked. Currently I only collect TF mini busts (both Diamond Select and Hard Heroes), Alternators (G1 characters that I remember), and the Masterpiece Line. I really got into the comic line (both Dreamwave and IDW), and am currently reading Exodus. I frequent this site daily, and I will say if it wasn't for the movies, I would not have rekindled my love for Transformers. Just my $.02.

11. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    I would not be customizing or collecting if it was not for the movies. I would just have my Rhino Dvd's and that's it.

12. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

I know one thing-we wouldn't have a freakin moutain of Tuner Mudflaps do deal with!

13. jgoss

jgoss transformers fan 4 life

i'd still be a fan if the bay movies never came out but not as big. mr. bay definetly helped the franchise no doubt. it's just curoius to see who is going to take over when bay leaves.

14. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

How big? Well, do any of us REALLY know?

I wasn't coming to this site until 2008, but I honestly don't think Transformers would be doing as well financially if the movies hadn't have made all the money they did. I'm not saying Transformers would be dead, or doing bad, I'm not saying that at all. But you can't deny the fact that the Movies attracted lots of attention, and made lots of money. Heck, I wouldn't be coming here if it weren't for the movies.

15. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I don't know Hasbro is a huge company. We think Transformers because that is what we collect but Hasbro puts out a ton of different toys for boys and girls every year. Things don't end up though as money made on Transformers goes directly back into Transformers but goes into the company in general. With lots of hits in different markets Hasbro has a lot of money rolling in.

I think the leap to The Hub was because Hasbro realized they had a lot of really great intellectual property to mine for shows but places like Cartoon Network were always going to screw them over. Instead of always being on the short end of the stick they decided cut out the people who keep saying no to their projects and start up something where they could have their intellectual properties shine in the best time slots.

I imagine if Paramount ever stops playing nice when it comes to developing movies that Hasbro might just go the Marvel way and start making their own movies as well.

Sad that poor Animated had to get caught up in all of this, but perhaps in the long run it will be better for Hasbro to have more control instead of always having to cross their fingers some other place isn't going to short them.

16. SuzyPrime

SuzyPrime The friendly lurker

That's my situation. I wouldn't be reading these boards if it wasn't for the movies. I loved the cartoon as a kid, but my interest died with the death of Prime in the animated movie. Nostalgia prompted me to follow the 2007 movie's developments online on sites like TWF. I'm not a toy collector, but I enjoy the fiction and the comics, and I wouldn't be following or purchasing those items if it weren't for the movies.

You can also credit the movies for making me a fan of TFA. I never would have paid attention to the show if the movie hadn't kindled my interest in all things TF.

It goes without saying that the movies have boosted the franchise. In marketing terms, it brought the franchise out from the narrow realm of toy collectors and kids and cemented it into the main stream of American culture and that coveted 18-35 male demographic.

17. LEADERS_MATRIX

LEADERS_MATRIX Wisdom of the ages...

:lol 

Well, you would be able to buy them on evilbay cheeper like before the movie.
    and Animated would have lived longer.

Edit: 1500 posts. woot!

18. MC Rap Throne

MC Rap Throne Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    TFs were quite obscure before the movie. Sure, it's been around since 84 almost non-stop, but it was always about toys for kids. The movie boosted the franchise and also brought more respect to it.

To me it's refreshing. I wasn't a big fan of BW and AEC, but the movie brought stuff like Classics and real vehicles back. I can't be more thankful.

19. Prime_Directive

Prime_Directive less than meets the eye

News Credits:
    I wouldn't be here. I wouldn't be writing Transformers fanfics. I wouldn't be getting nominated for fanfic awards on sites that have nothing to do with Transformers.

I wouldn't be a fan right now if it wasn't for the movies. I mean, I was a fan back during Armada, but I was in the target market.

20. Dran0n

Dran0n junk male

News Credits:
    Yeah, if not for the movie, I would not be writing MY shitty fan fiction (A Wonderful Stroy, content warning, see sig), I would not be collecting, I would not know of this website, let alone posting, and I would have friends. It was nice when the movies came out after years of ass cartoons, and they actually turned into recognizable things. Awesome.