How bad can price increases get?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Iruini, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know I'm at my limit. I'll drop the line if they raise the prices more on retail releases. I'll wait until sales or clearance.

• Like Like x 4
  2. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You won't be the only one. It can only go so high before people finally just throw in the towel and say "forget it".

I'm not quite there, but I'm getting close. It's bad enough to rebuy the figures over and over again, but the privilege of doing so comes with a luxury tax, basically. We're finally getting to the point where people just don't want to collect anymore. Whether it's space, cost, both, or some other fundamental change in their person, we're getting to the time when no one's actually wanting to collect. Raising prices during this period is one of the worst things you can do. Alternative? Stop producing altogether and let the line die out or go on hiatus/retirement for a while. Do that at the wrong time or for too long and you're back to letting the line die, basically.

It's a shame we've gotten where we are, but we have to remember that these are first world problems and we're incredibly blessed and fortunate to be able to have this discussion. Kind of sobering, really.

• Like Like x 5
  3. DarkRed401

DarkRed401 Well-Known Member

while i'm also concerned with future price increases which yes i am aware are inevitable, i think its important to reserve some judgment till we actually see new lines that are affects by price increases. Armageddon should reveals some of its figures probably at nycc and i think ss will be affected by price increases maybe the wave after they finish devastator, with hasbro moving away from plastic in packaging i'm guessing ss will raise prices alongside new box designs.

4. gibdozer

gibdozer Censored

I'm okay with where the mainline is now, but if we see another major dip in quality I'll be out. I cherry picked figures in TR and PotP so far I've been in on most of Siege. If Hasbro goes back to the status quo so will I.

5. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    One the one hand price inceases will affect sales to non-collectors.
    On the other hand Hasbro found over 5000 collectors willing to pay about a third of a low pay monthly wages for a toy.
    Maybe Hasbro and Takara are trying to move out of stores and into high-end collectibles.

:lol 

• Like Like x 3
  6. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    The goal of inflation is no less and no greater than 2% annually. If you dip under that, you risk deflation. If you go over that, you risk over inflation. Either one can harm the markets. And, as you can see on this chart, we've been nearing that goal since 1989.
    [​IMG]

So, let's say we maintain our 2% annual goal for the next 10 years. A deluxe figure should cost
    2020: 20.40
    2021: 20.81
    2022: 21.22
    2023: 21.64
    2024: 22.07
    2025: 22.51
    2026: 22.96
    2027: 23.42
    2028: 23.89
    2029: 24.37

So, in conclusion, a deluxe Transformer should hit around $25 by the year 2030 - assuming inflation stays on track.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's assuming Hasbro does not find a way to keep quality up and bring costs down.

8. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Hurts feelings being honest.

News Credits:
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

9. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]via Imgflip Meme Generator

• Like Like x 3
  10. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    History seems to show that, eventually, inflation costs are passed to the consumer. Current deluxes are priced accordingly with 1985 pricing of Autobot cars. Hasbro will hold the line for a few years but I'd wager deluxes will bump up to $21.99 in 2023 and then $23.99 in 2027.

11. dsprks75

dsprks75 Robot Enthusiast

News Credits:
    This thread is depressing.

Inflation is a man made financial shit storm that we’ll never be ahead of the curve on. We went off the gold reserve and flooded our economy with increasing worthless paper.

Oil prices are a non quantifiable boogeyman corporations use to justify price hikes. Is there less oil now in the 1980’s? Of course. But how much? It’s a thing the average consumer can never know. Corporations would have you believe it’s going to run out next year.

And until someone can actually cough up and post an honest to god “Hasbro expense report” that breaks down the total cost of a Transformer from design to “on the shelf” vs budget allotted, it’s all just guess work on our end to justify what we collect. Doesn’t matter if it’s TF’s, Star Wars, Marvel Legends, Lego, DC...

I’m big enough to admit I’m a cynical douche bag... I’m 43 and I’ve been here since the beginning G1 and I’ve seen it all. Prices will go up because fuck you and we’ll keep paying...

• Like Like x 3
  12. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

Prices will go up because they have to go up. Hasbro is aware of the competition they’re up against (tv, games, internet) and they know folks are very price conscious.

I’d rather Hasbro slightly increase prices over time then have them say “we can no longer sustain the brand. It’s not profitable and we’re shutting it down or selling it.”

I’m not dismissing the pain of the price increases, I just don’t think Hasbro could continue selling the figures at the older price points. And I’m willing to bet if anyone else had this franchise, prices would definitely go up because I can’t think of a toymaker bigger then Hasbro. Their size gives them power/flexibility with manufacturing costs.

13. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Wait, so you want a deluxe Transformer for $8? Do you also want dollar hamburgers and 50 cent comics too?

Low inflation is a normal response to a healthy economy. That means the cycle of people charging more for goods leads to more cash flow for workers and businesses leads to people charging more for goods- while quality of life improves.

I can complain that I'm spending twice as much on a deluxe Transformer now than I was 35 years ago. But I also have to recognize that my dollars are worth twice as less - and that there's nothing wrong with that as long as wages keep pace.

14. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Trying to achieve something

News Credits:
    I am personally fine with $20 deluxes and $30 voyager. My main reason is the cost has jumped $5, but the quality has been MUCH better than what came before in the Prime wars. At first, in mainly wave 2 of Siege has had horrible QC issues from Prowl's weak knees, Sixgun's peg size, Soundwaves floppy wrists, and my Ironhide's complete joint failure. But I have found them as outliers as wave 3 has much better QC. When we hit $30, I'm out. I'll move over to MP Ko's.

15. PurpleStuf

PurpleStuf Pastor of Muppets

News Credits:
    I could be wrong , but I'm thinking that the main reason they're moving away from plastic in packaging is to save money. Sure, they can spin it as being environmentally friendly, but the old jaded realist in me can't see a company making that decision if it will end up costing them more money. Not that they won't continue to raise prices anyway of course.

• Like Like x 2
  16. DarkRed401

DarkRed401 Well-Known Member

i don't disagree, any thing pro environment from a big corporation is purely for positive pr and cost cutting

• Like Like x 1
  17. Constructor

Constructor Behold my true form!

Currently, I'm at the limit for what i'm willing to pay for transformers.
    So now I can only buy figures I really want. Any more of a price increase and I'll have to stop collecting altogether.

• Like Like x 1
  18. myrrh

myrrh Knell-Mown Wember

News Credits:
    ...59¢ burgers and 35¢ comics are where it's at, man...

19. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Does the inflation match the price increases?

• Like Like x 1
  20. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Yes

• Like Like x 1