How are third party products made

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by QuegLee, Oct 16, 2016.

1. QuegLee

QuegLee Well-Known Member

Have an idea for a third party product, but no idea where to start. Anyone know of any index or step guide on the how to?

QL

2. ROXXOR

ROXXOR Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'd like to know more myself.

What kind of software is used to develop the molds.
    What are the various phases? We see production samples, test molds, resin casts, etc. What are the steps? I assume that things like "fixing" tolerances is in effect, using an updated mold to produce an updated part.

Here's a video on plastic injection molding that I assume is applicable:

When we see a picture of Transformission's Motormaster and he has a mix of panels, what does that tell us about his state of production?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Well-Known Member

4. QuegLee

This is awesome information, much appreciated and keep it coming guys. :) 

5. QuegLee

Long live John Wesley Hyatt!!

6. edgecrusher

edgecrusher Pepperidge Farm remembers TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You forgot the part where your first design gets sabotaged at the factory by established firms that don't want any new competition, thus sending your brand name into the toilet by way of a poor quality product, and putting you out of business.

7. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    there's only one example of this i can think of on this forum and then that's debatable why the the product was a lemon because the reason why it was said to have been sabotaged ( if it actually was ) has not come to pass at all

8. LazyAza

LazyAza Ehhhhh

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Anyone can get some 3d software and a 3d printer or some plastic molding gear to churn out some basic stuff.

But the leap to becoming a company capable of making actual figures is a massive massive extremely expensive and time consuming process with all kinds of hurdles and pitfalls that can easily hinder or destroy everything you work for.

And the competition is more fierce and abundant than its ever been in history. At that point you're jumping in to a ring with 40 mike tysons, and 5 of those mike tysons are basically superman. Good fucking luck with that shit. lol

9. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT

News Credits:
    I'm afraid that if you just have an idea, and don't have the design and engineering work, that's not going to cut it.

What you need is a business plan, which should include:

- The time and cost required to design the figure (and a designer to do the work)
    - The time and cost required to engineer the figure (and an engineer to do the work)
    - A 3D printer or CNC machine for prototyping, plus the cost of materials for prototyping
    - The time and cost required to create the required molds and then refine them (this is the most expensive item, likely several tens of thousands of USD)
    - The time and cost required to advertise your product
    - Contact with a factory (likely in China) willing to produce the molds and manufacture your product
    - Contact with a QA team (again, likely in China) willing to oversee production and carry out QA work
    - Contact with shipping companies/distributors (China again)
    - Contact with retailers (and the ability to convince them to carry your product)
    - A team of ninjas to deal with Keith who apparently owns most of the 3P world ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  10. The Smirker

The Smirker I Hate Sam Darnold

You forgot the long wait to get our products from fanstoys.

11. Naroki

Naroki Well-Known Member

1. Design process (3D)
    2. Check your design (3D print for check actual sample for case of change design or improve quality)
    3. making part drawing (Control quality dimension / acceptable tolerance. if you no control, mold maker may not mind tolerance at all)
    4. Mold making request to maker. (Send 3D and drawing control / Material of plastic)
    5. Mold meeting with maker. (Need to discuss QC dimension , Material grade, design change for making mold. all those need to discuss case your design may can't making in to a mold or mold will too complex and cost increase.)
    6. Mold up
    7. Test mold
    7. Process design (How to assembly and how to control quality)
    7. Equipment making (Support jig for fixing part position when torque screw / Insert pin, prevent scratch, paint guide shield, ETC)
    8. Modify mold (For action tolerance / quality / change design for quality)
    9. Test assembly (For check final product)
    10. Repeat step 8-9 untill quality success.
    11. Request factory to assembly for you. (If process design and Quality control document not fully control , product may have QC issue and factory will assembly due to your control point only)
    12. Factory meting (Some of your control may cost more money / or impossible to control at all. need to discussion and find a solution)
    13. Mass-production (Injection / assembly)
    14. Packing / issue

Everything is based on design. design too complex and hard to control quality will cost more or may be suffer from production problem.
    Document control also, to control quality of mold making / injection and assembly process to confirm all product have good quality.
    Process design to make sure no assembly mistake and make productivity improve.
    Production equipment also help to control QC like paint / insert a pin , check screw torque.
    Or you may just design and send to factory and request factory to do the rest. but result may like Omnigonix spin out.
    Control point / Quality control check list / Process control / Complex design will cost more money and time development. how to control your budget // Quality also big problem.

• Like Like x 5
  12. hardreturn

hardreturn Ian Reid

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    when a toy maker and an IP love each other very much, regardless of what the IP's parents think, then they make a third party toy.

• Like Like x 9
  13. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Wow, that was unbelievably interesting. Thanks for posting it.

14. peddlerofwine

peddlerofwine Starscream's Robot Gun

The first ingredient is love, then the rest falls into place.

• Like Like x 2
  15. crasher

crasher Well-Known Member

i used that exact same philosophy everytime i stepped into the kitchen ... it never quite worked out

since then i changed my philosophy to "expect the unexpected"

• Like Like x 2
  16. KevinSig

KevinSig Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Not exactly the same thing, but Cubex had issues getting a quality product out of the supposedly XTransbots factory& couldn't get their Huff mold back from them. Additionally, I believe Mach-5 tried to produce through that factory, until they folded & gave the design to MMC/Mech iDeas.

I suspect that factory offers the cheapest prices, but treats new small time customers horribly regularly.

• Like Like x 1
  17. HandlesIT

HandlesIT Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They are made from the tears of official only fanboys.

• Like Like x 5
  18. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

And a black silhouette when you announce the figure too. Don't forget that important step.

• Like Like x 2
  19. QuegLee

Woof!, that's a lotta useful info. As it goes I am already working 3d designs, Keep them coming guys.

20. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    When one third party toy loves another third party toy very much...