How are the Battlefield series of games?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by netkid, Jul 27, 2010.

1. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I've always wanted to play these games, specifically the PC ones. How are they? Can you still play online, even if it means having to download a mod/patch/etc?

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Download some demos, yo. Communities are still raging strong.

3. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

can love bloom on a... no wait.

4. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Battlefield 1943 and Bad Company 2 are two of my favourite shooters. I find them to be a much more enjoyable and rewarding experience compared to other FPS games.

5. netkid

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Where can I?

6. McBradders

Shall I google it for you? :/

7. netkid

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Oh, no, I'm far too lazy to fall victim to that.

Right now I'm just busy getting work done. I'll Google it in a little while when I get a minute.

8. McBradders

Try somewhere like fileshack, they have a pretty good archive of stuffs :) 

9. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Deceptipunk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield 2 are still the best!

10. netkid

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'm mainly interested in the games found in the PC anthology:

-Battlefield 1942
    -road to rome
    -secret weapons
    -Vietnam

Is the online play still available for them?

I ask because 1. I've always wanted to play these games, and 2. I can get all 4 listed above^ Brand New for just $9 directly from Amazon.com

11. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Battlefield 2 is awesome. If you get that one, get the version with the added expansion packs, or at least get Special Forces add-on for sure.

12. netkid

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Do any of the Battlefield games no longer support their online play?

I just don't want to buy a game and then find out I can no longer play it's online multiplayer.

13. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

All are still online (they use community run servers and theres still a few EA servers up).

The 1942 community is smaller and fragmented by some great mods, but its still easy to find games. Road to Rome and Secret Weapons (both ex packs for 42) are hit and miss finding games but some people rotate through them on thier servers. I still play on a some what regular basis.

BF:V is a meh to me. It launched exceptionally unbalanced and I couldn't stand the maps. Theres a lot of cool things in it and they eventually fixed most of the balance issues but its my least favorite BF game. I enjoyed the maps they added but I ended up getting 8 team kills and a suicide when an enemy tank shot the truck I was transporting people in and quit again.

14. netkid

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    In your opinion, what Battlefield do you personally think is the best?

How is the futuristic one?

15. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

1942 is my favorite multiplayer game of all time. I've put , probably, thousands of hours into it. Its dated by todays standards but it had the perfect balance of Infantry, Vehicle, and Aircraft combat.

BF2 is great, the aircraft can dominate but there are infantry only settings. It has a leveling/unlock and Squad system. Theres a secondary game within the normal play that allows you to play as the Battlefield Commander (if you get lucky at the start of each round). As the commander you can view an overhead map and call in UAV surveillance, Artillery Strikes, and Air Drops in the form of health/ammo crates and jeep vehicles. I had a problem with Punk Buster (anti-cheat software all the BF PC games use) that prevents me from playing it right now.

The Special Forces Expansion for BF2 was amazing for me. It added random night maps that allowed the use of Night Vision Goggles, wasn't a fan of those. The thing that made it so great for me is the special items each kit had. Snipers got a zip line, fire a dart and you can take a ride down to a lower level. Assualt had my favorite, a grappling hook. With the hook you could get on top of almost every building, it was great for sneaking past claymores to get to snipers. I can't remember what the other classes got.

2142 is a great game. It has a leveling/unlock system and squads from 2. The weapons didn't have a great feedback in my opinion, but I didn't spend a lot of time with it compared to other games. The vehicles all felt good and nothing beats squating in your bipedal tank to crush an enemy. It does have a great game type called Titan Mode that is a lot of fun.

Titan mode is similar to the standard BF Conquest mode except each team has a Titan to destroy. The Titans are giant flying fortresses that can be moved around the map and have various defensive stations within. You capture control points/flags just like Conquest but holding these flags launches a missile at set intervals. These missiles will eventually take down the enemy Titan's shield. Once the shield is down you can either let the missiles destroy the Titan (slowly) or board it and take it down from the inside. To board the titans teams can use the flying vehicles or use an APC that can launch you up to it inside a pod. Once on/in the titan you have to destroy a few shield nodes and then destroy the power core and escape. Its really fun but can need a some what decent system or the Titans cause you to warp around and stutter a lot.

My rankings for the PC BF games -
    BF2 (only above 2142 because of SF and I prefer the feel of the weapons)
    Vietnam

I love BF Bad Company 2 on 360 and BF 1943 (modern remake of four 1942 maps) is supposed to come out on PC one day, I can't run them on my aging pc though.